Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite place for Asian food is the Lily Garden in Cypress. A+

Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[edit] I just realized that your post said South OC. I didn't see that before I wrote this. If you (or anyone) is ever in the area, though, you should try these places. [/edit]

there are several nice places in the downtown sections of seal beach, fullerton, and belmont shores. I recommend just taking a walk through each and seeing what's there.

For good BBQ, depending on your price range, try Lucille's or Chris'n'Pitts. They are both small-chain type restaraunts. There only Lucille's I know of offhand is off the 605 by the big Edward's theather in Carson (I think it's Carson, anyway. It's close to cerritos and hawaiian gardens) It's about 15-25 person, or about 25 for a meal-for-two and they have a great bar. Chris'n'Pitts is an old LA/OC family chain dating back to teh 50's or 60's. They have one on Euclid just north of the I-5, the orignial location in Bellflower, andother one in Santa Ana on Harbor a few hundred yards north of Edinger, and several others. You may have seen their brand of BBQ sauce and salad dressings in supermarkets. It's good stuff. And fairly inexpensive for BBQ. Expect 10-15 bucks per person. And there's also Mike's BBQ in Cypress. For about 7 or 8 bucks, you can get a BBQ sandwich, side, and a drink, and they also have ribs and chicken but they're more of a take-out kind of place and I've only ever gotten lunch there. Lazy Dog Cafe in Huntington Beach is another good barbecue place. It's owned by the same people that own Mimi's Cafes (another great place if you've never been there) but reminiscint of Claim Jumpers.

For steak houses, hands down, it's Clearman's Northwood Inn. I think they might still have one in Long Beach but the one I've always gone to is in La Mirada near Valley View and the I-5. Their restaraunts have the roofs painted white and the interiors have sawdust and peanut shells on the floor and the food is excellent. If nothing else on my list, try this place. There's also a nice little sports bar tucked into a commercial district in Huntington Beach called My Place that has steaks, burgers, and sandwiches. It's qucik, cheap, and a great place to watch a game. Also, Stubriks in downtown fullerton has some awesome food from their broilers as well as a full bar, live bands, pool tables, and a very lively night life. Their food is almost as good as Clearman's.

For italian, I don't know many fancy places. I've heard Luigi's on state college south of lincoln in Anaheim is excellent. My parents really like Finbar's in Seal Beach. I'm partial to Perry's Pizza (I know of locations in Huntington Beach and Garden Grove) and Dino's Pizza (On Westminster by the Big Lots east of the 405.) For subs and Italian, there's Paul's Deli in westminster. It's on Westminster just west of Goldenwest, across the street from a supermarket (ralph or lucky's or whatever it is now). Paul's is another place you CANNOT skip. Paul has been there for almost thirty years making his sandwiches and italian food and now his son and daughter work there with him. It's some of the best food anywhere, and the Deli is staffed by extremely nice people. It's something you really don't see all that often anymore.

For mexican, Mario's in Huntington Beach is pretty good. It's not extremely expensive and it's little more upscale than supermex. They make a pretty good margarita and have a nice family appeal. But the service can be slow at times. If you're planning to catch a movie, leave yourself a good hour or so for dinner there. Taco Surf is another pretty good local chain. I've been to the ones in belmont shore and sunset beach but they're all over around here. And one of my guilty pleasures is Alerto's on Beach in Garden Grove, north of the 22. For 6 or 7 dollars you can get a combo that'll easily serve for two meals. Avoid the fish tacos. And it's far from fancy. Their location used to be a drive through pastrami hut. Definately not a destination in and of itself but the food is awesome. If you want dinner and a show, check out Rockin Taco in downtown fullerton. They have some tasty food and claim to be the original dueling piano bar.

If you like sushi, you have to try Shogun in Anaheim. They're on State College, south of Lincoln, and next to La-Z-Boy store. They have a $23 all-you-can-eat special for just about everything on the menu (except for a few delicacy items labeled extra charge or market price), and a card to go with that where the 11th meal is free. I never really liked sushi until I had it there. In fact, I always thought it was kind of gross but they convinced me otherwise.

And finally, one of my other top favorites, Branagan's in downtown fullerton. As the name implies, it's an irish pub. The food is awesome. They've got all the classics like corned beef and cabbage and fish and chips and... well I guess those are the irish classics but they also have other pretty good stuff like their Molly Flannagan (beef stew seasoned with guiness), calamari strips the size of those big fancy french fries, irish nachos (basically homefries covered in cheese, salsa, and corned beef), and a large selection of burgers and steaks.

Anyway, I'm really starting to get hungry now. Welcome to OC (not THE OC, just OC). Good luck, and maybe we'll bump into each other some day.

[edit] you can call it "the OC" if you want in south OC. That's not the real OC anyway. =P [/edit]

Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by effusant

If you like sushi, you have to try Shogun in Anaheim. They're on State College, south of Lincoln, and next to La-Z-Boy store. They have a $23 all-you-can-eat special for just about everything on the menu (except for a few delicacy items labeled extra charge or market price), and a card to go with that where the 11th meal is free. I never really liked sushi until I had it there. In fact, I always thought it was kind of gross but they convinced me otherwise.

You like that place?!?!?! Shogun has the most rubbery fish I've EVER had. Their food is all over salted too. All in all, I'd have to say that it is one of the worst Japanese places in CA. A good rule of thumb is that if the guy making your sushi isn't Japanese, head for the door.

Try Kappo Honda on Magnolia in Fountain Valley. Some of the most authentic Japanese "soul-food" you'll ever have. Delish.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Chris'n'Pitts is an old LA/OC family chain dating back to teh 50's or 60's. They have one on Euclid just north of the I-5, the orignial location in Bellflower, andother one in Santa Ana on Harbor a few hundred yards north of Edinger, and several others. You may have seen their brand of BBQ sauce and salad dressings in supermarkets. It's good stuff. And fairly inexpensive for BBQ. Expect 10-15 bucks per person.
Chris 'N Pitt's is great. Just make sure you take cash 'cause they don't accept plastic.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 AM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ma78
You like that place?!?!?! Shogun has the most rubbery fish I've EVER had. Their food is all over salted too. All in all, I'd have to say that it is one of the worst Japanese places in CA. A good rule of thumb is that if the guy making your sushi isn't Japanese, head for the door.

Try Kappo Honda on Magnolia in Fountain Valley. Some of the most authentic Japanese "soul-food" you'll ever have. Delish.
I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. FWIW, the owner and main chef of shogun is japanese, and the other chef, Thomas, learned his trade at senior sushi in cabo san lucas, iirc (maybe some other resort city in mexico, I don't recall). IMHO, they're good at what they do. I've never noticed any problems with the quality of their meat. Just sit at the bar and ask the chef what he thinks is good (and they treat you really nice if you share your beer or sake with them). Also, a friend of mine tells me that there's a place near her residence also called shogun (knott and katella in garden grove) that she's says is a nice place but I haven't tried it yet. And if you're ever in a hurry and want a quick sushi lunch, hanabi in garden grove (valley view and cerritos) has a combo for about 10 bucks that includes up to three sushi items. It's certainly not the top quality but it's also not bad. And they offer various specials for each day of the week such as 20 percent off saturday lunches. And a former coworker of mine told me several times to try the sushi joint at yorktown and goldenwest by huntington beach high school. The last time I was in that area (probably for the high school district honor band back in the late 90's), there was an awesome independent buger joint there kinda like harry's but it has since been replaced by a mcdonalds... wretch...

Originally Posted by blacknblue
Chris 'N Pitt's is great. Just make sure you take cash 'cause they don't accept plastic.
I've heard the bellflower location has started taking plastic, and I know from experience that the Santa Ana location does.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. FWIW, the owner and main chef of shogun is japanese, and the other chef, Thomas, learned his trade at senior sushi in cabo san lucas, iirc (maybe some other resort city in mexico, I don't recall). IMHO, they're good at what they do. I've never noticed any problems with the quality of their meat. Just sit at the bar and ask the chef what he thinks is good (and they treat you really nice if you share your beer or sake with them). Also, a friend of mine tells me that there's a place near her residence also called shogun (knott and katella in garden grove) that she's says is a nice place but I haven't tried it yet. And if you're ever in a hurry and want a quick sushi lunch, hanabi in garden grove (valley view and cerritos) has a combo for about 10 bucks that includes up to three sushi items. It's certainly not the top quality but it's also not bad. And they offer various specials for each day of the week such as 20 percent off saturday lunches. And a former coworker of mine told me several times to try the sushi joint at yorktown and goldenwest by huntington beach high school. The last time I was in that area (probably for the high school district honor band back in the late 90's), there was an awesome independent buger joint there kinda like harry's but it has since been replaced by a mcdonalds... wretch...

Having lived in Japan for a while I tend to be a little more picky.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
id have to say my favorite restaurant in the OC is P.F. Changs in Irvine

Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
jaayou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blacknblue
So is this just South OC?
Truly, the best tacos are going to be north of the 55/405/Orange Crush!
My favorite hole-in-the-wall is the Little Caboose on the S/E corner of Beach Blvd./Ball Rd. in Anaheim. They've got cheap domestic or Mexican beer and a cool jukebox. There are only four tables and a counter for dining. On any given night, you might run in to the local ladies-of-the-night, Anaheim PD, or working class folk just stoppin' in for some good eats.

I recommend the shredded beef tacos with plenty of salsa!

-Juan
I work in Anaheim off Disneyland Dr. and I stopped by Little Caboose for lunch, nice recommendation Juan. I likes!

I had a Shredded Beef Taco and the Combo Burrito.

Anyways, does anyone else know any hole in the wall type places to eat near Disneyland? Getting really tired of all those chain places aroudn there.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:48 PM
AudioNToxication
5th Gear
Here's a couple more that haven't been mentioned yet.

Taqueria Mexico- Katella & Glassell the Asada tacos are fantastic 4 or 5 is a great meal, and for $1.02 they can't be beat. Open 24 hours.

The Original Pancake House - great pancakes, many varietys. Open from 6am to 2pm with locations in Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Yorba Linda and more.

The Sugar Shack Cafe - located in Huntington Beach, open from 5am to 4pm. Great place for breakfast, reasonably priced, seating out on the sidewalk, inside and on the back patio. Parking can kindof suck though.

And one more though not in OC but still good.
Roscoes' House of Chicken & Waffles - Locations in Long Beach, L.A., Pasadena & Hollywood. If you like fried chicken and you like waffles this is the place to go.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Hole-in-the-Walls

Hot Dogs:
Mustard's- Chicago-style Hot Dogs
3630 Katella Ave.
Los Alamitos
This a semi-sports bar-type of place with great dogs (Vienna Beef) and Italian Beef sandwiches. The plasma screens are pretty clear but sound isn't when there's a rowdy crowd. I guess you can always go to Portillo's in Buena Park for the real stuff but it's not exactly a hole-in-the-wall.

Jerry's Dogs
Santa Ana or La Habra
Wood-fired hot dogs, mmmm! If you have the intestinal fortitude, try the Jalapeño Hot Link!

Meat Pies:
Pasty Kitchen
3641 Katella Ave
Los Alamitos
I usually get a large pasty for lunch. Only three kind: beef, chicken, veggie.

"Surf-style" Foodies:
River's End Cafe
Seal Beach
Breakfast here is highly recommended, especially the Hobo Omelette or the chilaquiles.

-Juan

Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Mmmmmm, breakfast!

The Original Pancake House in Yorba Linda rules!

Blueberry Belgian waffles are all you need to know!

John's Place in La Habra at Puente and Central is great also. I could survive on their hash browns and salsa alone.

As for BBQ anybody know any non-chain places? Lucilles and Johnny Rebs (in Orange off Chapman, east of the 55) are good, but man there is nothing like a Southern hole in the wall that only does BBQ. Mmmm, pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw, dang I'm getting hungry!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
jaayou
2nd Gear
Sounds like great places, I will have to try them all. There's actually an Original Pancake House in Anaheim too, it is off Lincoln.

If you guys want some really good Mexican food, you should try El Farolito in Placentia. This is one of my favorite sit down Mexican food places of all time. Try the Arroz con Pollo, Enchildas, or the Chile Con Carne. Boy that sounds good right now!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Felix's - Cuban in the square in the city of Orange..... best I've had....I go there two or three times every Jan when in SC for a trade show...... I live in ATL

Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
jaayou
2nd Gear
very good restaurant too. On a nice day you can sit outside and take in the view of the traffic circle. If you're lucky maybe you catch glimpse of a nice Mini driving by.

Originally Posted by SpiderX
Felix's - Cuban in the square in the city of Orange..... best I've had....I go there two or three times every Jan when in SC for a trade show...... I live in ATL

Old 05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jaayou
very good restaurant too. On a nice day you can sit outside and take in the view of the traffic circle. If you're lucky maybe you catch glimpse of a nice Mini driving by.
I'll look for you..... seriously, we have been eating there for over 10 years and the food is great..... good Cuban is hard to find in ATL.... all you folks in ATL..chill... my Cuban friends sent ne to their favorite and it does not compare with Felix's.... it's that good

Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
jaayou
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I'll look for you..... seriously, we have been eating there for over 10 years and the food is great..... good Cuban is hard to find in ATL.... all you folks in ATL..chill... my Cuban friends sent ne to their favorite and it does not compare with Felix's.... it's that good
I know this is out of the scope and range of OC, but if you happen to be stuck in LA, there's this great Cuban Restaurant called Versailles. The Garlic Chicken is the best! Man I could talk about food and my Mini all day!

Last edited by jaayou; 05-14-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
korby
6th Gear
Also out of OC but if your picking someone up from LAX, TITO'S TACO'S!!!!!