St. Louis MINI Club The St. Louis MINI Club Forums. Visit our club site at www.stlmini.com

Invisible Bra Installation in St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 05:40 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible Bra Installation in St. Louis

Has anyone had the "invisible bra" installed by someone other than Allen Huntington in St. Louis? I'd like to hear all stories, good or bad. Many thanks!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:09 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I did have the woman who does them for Ultra Shield give me an estimate but she was brand new at the time & I was a little leary about her-she was also higher than Alan was. If you go to the Ultra Shield site her phone # is the one with the 314 area code.

Lois

Old 08-05-2004, 05:00 AM
zinful
4th Gear
Love my Clear Bra

Allen installed mine, I was so shocked to read of his passing. I highly recommend getting one, they really do the job and do not distract from the cars looks. I would check with the dealer, I think they offer a clear bra. Also you could e-mail ultrashield and see who they have in this area.

Clearly Motoring ON,

Doug

Old 08-05-2004, 05:18 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the gal and, unfortunately, would not recommend her. The MINI is a tough install and she doesn't have the skills yet.

Allen was a good friend and I will miss him and his wife, Sue. Tragic.

Brad

Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
X-Pel Invisible Paint Protection

THANK YOU ALL for the information!!

Since the only 2 installers of the UltraShield were Allen and Nancy (which I haven't heard any good news on her yet), I've been doing some research online and have found another 3M product called "X-Pel". Has anybody heard of this one? I emailed the only installer of the X-Pel product, Clear Solutions, Inc. (located in St. Peters, MO) in St. Louis, as well as, one in Carbondale, IL to ask what their experience has been with Mini installs. I received an email back from John Johnson at Clear Solutions. He says they have been installing X-Pel for several months, but haven't done any Mini installs, yet. He mentioned they've done installs on Honda's, Jag's, Mazda's, and most domestic auto's. He's going to email me back this morning with cost. What do you guys think? I don't know which is going to be the lesser of two evils....having Nancy at UltraShield do it, or taking my chances with Clear Solutions? I've got to do SOMETHING, though. I absolutely cannot stand the beating that my front bumper/Aero Kit is taking!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 08:37 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Xpel is the same exact 3M film, just a different pattern.

It's a toss up. Doing Honda's and Jag's doesn't necesarily qualify you for the Mini install.

I have done probably 25 clear bra installations on my own for myself and friends (I use Xpel) and I had Allen do my Mini because the Mini is so tough. A lot of complex curves. He had a tough time, too.

You can always have them do it and if your not happy they can re-do it. I would be happy to compare my job with yours when completed. And if you don't like yours I will go back to Clear Solutions with you as moral support.

Brad

Old 08-05-2004, 09:11 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Thanks for the moral support, Brad. I'll definately need it, if I get a bad install. Some therapy probably wouldn't be a bad idea, either. :smile:

Well, I've gotten an estimate from Clear Solutions approx $555, which is real close to what I was anticipating.

I've also heard back from Weatherford Design in Carbondale, IL. They haven't done any Mini's there, either. He's estimating $300-$400 just for the install. Plus a 2 1/2 hour drive each direction. YIKES!!!! The thing is....check out this website www.weatherfordsigns.com it looks and sounds like they would make sure it's a good install. He mentions an install video for the Mini and says he "has full confidence that the installation will be as professional as any other install". He also says he'd like to see the vehicle before final pricing. The cons...the estimated price and the drive.

I'm SO confused !!!!

Old 08-05-2004, 06:11 PM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
Just wondering...did you inform the installer that you have the aero kit, because every mini with the clear bra that I have seen, just have the stock s bumpers. And from the looks of it, the aero bumper would be a thousand times more difficult to put a clear bra on.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Allen always charged me about 1/2 of what he would normally charge everybody else when he did stuff for me. (we were friends) He charged me $75 to do the Mini. It took about 2 hours including the mirrors. This means he would have probably charged $150-200 labor plus the kit.

$300-400 labor sounds high plus it's a very wide range.

Not sure why he would have to see the car if he has an "install video". And it isn't as if he can't find another Mini running around Illinois. Sorry, I just think he sounds a bit greedy.

YellowBelly is right, be sure you get the right kit ordered. Check the Xpel website and you will see the kits offered. If the guy is buying the pre-cut kits he is getting them at 50% off the Xpel website price. The same price I get. If he has a template cutting machine (not many do) then he actually pays less than that.

This should help you get an idea of pricing. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
As I recall Nancy wanted about $550 to do the MINI. Allen had done several Miatas in our club for less & had quoted me a price including kit of about $400 but as it turned out I decided not to do it. I still don't have too many chips but then I do mostly city driving.

Lois

Old 08-06-2004, 06:13 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
I asked Clear Solutions what would happen if the install didn't meet my expectations, he said they'd remove it and not charge me. :smile: And my hubby has pretty much put a nix on the guy in Carbondale, because it's too far to drive. Sooooo.....I guess I am going with Clear Solutions.

Allen was going to charge me $475, including doing the headlights, too, as my Step Dad had sent a lot of business his way. So, $555 doesn't look too bad....as long as they do a good job. I did make sure the estimate he gave me included the aero kit. Now whether or not he realizes the difficulty of doing it or not, I don't know.

I'm picking up a new aero bumper from the dealer this weekend, so I've got to coordinate getting that painted and getting the clear bra on. Hey, does anybody know how long I should let the paint cure before I have the clear bra installed? I know I can ask the body shop, but I like to hear everyone elses opinions, too.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:13 AM
BradB
6th Gear
I would wait two to three weeks at least. That's what Plaza had me wait when I had the Euro nose on the Carrera painted. Xpel suggested that time period as well.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:00 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Sweet ride, Brad!!! That's my dream car....aaahhhh.....someday......

Thanks for all of your input. You've helped out tremendously!!!

MOTOR ON!!!!

Belinda

Old 08-20-2004, 11:22 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Huh?

Does anyone know of Allen having a partner? a Mark Parafin*#!&...something or other? My Step Dad, who works at Autohaus, said this Mark came into Autohaus last week to let him know that the company is still in operation. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Has he done installs on Mini's? Is he as good as Allen?

Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Well, the story is a little "grey" right now. I am looking into it and will contact you when I find out more.

I'll let you know.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:34 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
I was VERY suspicious when I heard of this guy seems how nobody has ever mentioned him before. Here's his phone number 314-518-6111.

Keep us posted.
Thank You!:smile:
Belinda

Old 08-26-2004, 07:17 AM
BradB
6th Gear
I did a little reasearch. He is legit. I spoke to Allen's brother and Allen and Mark were forming a partnership this month since the business was building up. I have not seen Mark's quality of work yet. I plan on meeting him soon and will let you know.

But, if you do want a job done, at least he is a real Ultrashield dealer.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:54 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Wow, that's great news! I hated to think that someone was trying to skate in and take advantage of the situation. Thanks for the information :smile: Please do let me know what you think of the quality of his work. Do you have a preference between the Ultra Shield and the X-Pel? The only difference is the pattern, right?

Old 08-26-2004, 10:21 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Yes, that's the only difference. Same exact 3M Scotchcal® film.

PS, Mark is in Brentwood, MO, BTW.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:59 AM
trlarry
2nd Gear
Another place you might(not) want to consider, that was were the dealer sent me when I ask where to to get my invisashield installed is, Qualitiy Glass Tinting Inc in Manchester. They install LLumuar Film, I had installed on the lower section of my 04 Mini S /Aero kit, the only problem with it that I don't like is it is slightly coming loose around some of the edges and that is why I have descided to have it taken off and replaced. The LLumuar Film has protected my Mini from being rock chipped but I don't like the way that only after 4 months it is cominig loose at the edges around the grill and turn signals. It just looks bad and I am way too picky with my Cooper to put up with somthing like that. The LLumuar is coming off next week and the 3m is going on:smile: and Mark assures me that 3m will stand behind there product.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:02 AM
BradB
6th Gear
We have a new UltraShield representative in town!

Just the other night I invited Marek (Mark) Parafiniuk out to my house to meet him in person for the first time. Mark is assuming the UltraShild business from Allen Huntington.
Mark and Allen had been working together for quite some time with Mark more or less in the background but slowly building up more and more of his own business and was scheduled to become a full-on partner with Allen in the near future. Allens death naturally speeded the schedule and forced Mark to make connections that Allen would have made much easier for him.

Mark has been accredited by UltraShield and is bringing on the business officially as soon as possible.

Mark is a very likeable fellow who hails from Poland. He's certainly a car-guy and loves old Mini's as much as new MINI's! (but don't hold that against him. )

Mark can be reached at 314-518-6111
parafiniuk@juno.com

Give him a call or shoot him an email. I'd like to see his business get off on the right foot.

Our MINI's chip so easily. 3M clear film protection on the paint and headlights is the way to go.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:52 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
The quest has come to an end!

I'm happy to say I've already been in contact with Mark. :smile: He says he was a silent partner of Allen's from the very beginning. He seems like a very nice guy, he's done installs on a lot of cars, (Including our beloved Mini's) he's sure I will be satisfied with the install, (He says he will make sure that I am, as the majority of their business comes from referrals.) and he's willing to do part of the install now and do the install on the bumper after it's painted and cured (Something I hadn't previously thought about. Very good suggestion!:smile: ). O', and he said he'd honor the price that Allen quoted me. I've found my installer!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Brad, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! A million times, "Thank You!"

Larry, I would suggest getting in contact with Mark. I've done A LOT of research on this over the course of the last few months, with the help of our fellow St. Louis Mini Club members, and I'm certain that Mark is going to be our man.

Old 09-10-2004, 06:10 AM
MTR ON
2nd Gear
Uh, it's me again. Brad, another question.....do I need to strip the Zaino off the areas that will have the UltraShield installed on them?

Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 AM
trlarry
2nd Gear
New UltraSheild Represesntative

Brad Thanks for the tip, I talk to Mark this morning and descided to have him take off my LLumar film which I had put on my lower bumper section and go ahead and do the whole front Aero kit including the hood in the 3m film and the head light also. I am going to drop it off Thursday night and he said he would be done by Friday noon. So Thanks again, Also he sounded very grateful for the club support and was offering what seem to be a good price also. Larry (Belinda,Thanks for the help , I agree after talking to Mark I fill like we got the right guy for the job.)

Old 09-11-2004, 01:40 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Great, thanks Mark!

Quick Reply: Invisible Bra Installation in St. Louis