Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Problem with my CVT transmision 2003 mini non-s

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM
ilovefishing
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my CVT transmision 2003 mini non-s

Hey fellow cooper enthusiasts, I've had this big problem for a very long time bout 2 years but i've just been ignoring it. Actually its my girlfriends mini that im talking about, See the problem is when she first purchased her mini, automatic, non-s, her retard friend abused the steptronic (over-reving, red line shifting) and after few times of doing so, ever since the car doesnt change gears as smoothly at all, it changes gears right before hitting redline, and when your going,lets say 40 and you try to step on the gas full throttle to reach up to 70-80 the meter stays at redline for a while, than it finally goes down after you come to speed, it feels like its either skipping some gears, or missing some gears, or its not shifting when its suppose to, does anyone have an idea what the problem might be, have anyone heard of this problem before, if so can you give me and my girlfriend a hand and try to figure this headache out please, we went to the dealer and they said its just a characteristic of the car,
thats bull **** i think because the other auto mini's i drove didnt feel like it was skipping gears, another thing it also feels like as if it goes through gears 1-4 very fast and than the rest is where it start to stay at redline and wont want to switch, well thanks alot ahead of time

Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What milage? I've read that the CVTs are know to crap out in the mid 70s.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
go to the nearest dealer and ask them to reset the cvt adaptation values. they will probably charge you 1 hour if you are out of warranty, but it will probably make a big difference as long as your trans is not mechanically damaged or low on fluid.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM
ilovefishing
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55k, fullcollapse40 you seem to be sure of yourself, has this happened to you?

Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 AM
rehsper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ilovefishing
...the car doesnt change gears as smoothly at all, it changes gears right before hitting redline, and when your going,lets say 40 and you try to step on the gas full throttle to reach up to 70-80 the meter stays at redline for a while, than it finally goes down after you come to speed, it feels like its either skipping some gears, or missing some gears, or its not shifting when its suppose to...
I'm not sure what you mean about skipping/missing gears. Is this when using the steptronic feature? In Steptronic mode, the car will go through the low gears quickly, just like a regular manual transmission. In the high gears (high speed) the car runs out of power i.e. your acceleration from 0-60 will naturally be better than acceleration from 60-120. I avoid steptronic mode altogether. The acceleration is no better (it's worse) and when it "shifts" it sounds and feels like a sick slipping automatic.

In my experience, in Drive or Sportdrive the car will redline, then there's a soft cut down about 500rpm before it picks up again. It will do that over and over again like a yo-yo as you accelerate. Maybe that's what you are experiencing. If you press the accelerator to the kickdown point (about 3/4 way down) it should go up to about 5500rpm and stay there as you accelerate.