Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

AAC/Heater Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAC/Heater Fan

My MINI has the automatic air conditioning (AAC) system. This past weekend I was driving through a wet sleet/slush situatiion. The blower fan on the heater stopped working. I have tried all modes of operation - auto - manual - A/C - heat. No blower fan in any mode. Today was a nice, dry warm day during my drive home. So everything should have had a good opportunity to dry out. Still no fan. I have checked fuses in both the underhood and passenger side fuse holder boxes. Aside from pulling and looking at any fuse that had any symbol that might inidate working with the AAC I specifically swapped the F46 fuse with one of the seat heating fuses. Anyone have any other simple checks I might try? FYI it is 250 miles to my nearest MINI dealer.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
An update: I've had several communications with my MA and dealer service rep and have done some basic troubleshooting. (I know just enough about electrical circuits to be dangerous :-) with my multimeter). I believe the fan motor is frozen up or something has jammed the fan blades. Of particular concern is that the prongs in the flat four wiring connector that I believe goes to the fan motor are physically VERY hot - enough to burn you. So I have left that connector undone. Apparently the fan motor is a very uncommon failure item. In view of the distance I have to travel I believe my dealer is agreeable to ensuring they have a replacement on hand when I arrive. Hopefully my troubleshooting is correct. Although I am disappointed I also realize that things like this happen. So far I am satisfied that efforts are progressing to correct the problem. It will be about 2 weeks before I can work my schedule to actually take it in for service. I will update again when that has happened. I have posted this same thread on the mini2.com website.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:13 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
All is well again. Dealer replaced the fan motor. They had the necessary parts on hand and got the job done before the end of the day. No charge - all covered by warranty. Not sure what the problem was with the original fan motor - probably just a fluke. Troubleshooting was correct - it WAS the fan motor. As a little bonus I got my previously purchased mud flaps installed with no additional charge for labor and a nice wash job. I'm quite satisfied with the dealer's efforts to troubleshoot and fix the problem and the service I received - Mini of Murray (Salt Lake City).

Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Just curious, when your AAC fan motor failed, were you able to get any outside air venting, or did the car seal up? Also, with the fan working, does outside air venting seal up when you manually turn the AAC off (or fan off)?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:32 AM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Answer to your first question is that the car sealed. It was fairly chilly (17F) the morning I left for the dealer. I expected no heat because I had physically disconnecetd the fan motor connector. Even moving along at a good clip there was no measuarable air flow through any of the vents (or defroster). The heated seats were greatly appreciated :-) and I am glad I had used a little anti-fog spray on the inside windshield the evening before.
I haven't paid any attention to your second question yet since I have just left it on 'auto'. I'll try it this weekend and post a reply.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:48 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Per second question I detect no significant air flow with the ACC turned off. I would say it seals up.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Thanks for that.... I does seem to act the same as most auto A/C systems.