Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Car won't move... clutch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:33 AM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Car won't move... clutch issue?

So I was just out with the gf driving around(teaching her to drive a manual) in her 02 MC. Pulled up to a stop sign, put it into first, and it wouldn't go anywhere. She had been driving for a while, but is doing pretty well with the clutch, and there was no smell of a burnt clutch. Let it sit for a couple hours, came back, and still no go(in case it was an overheated clutch). Peddle feels the same, engine runs the same, shifts into gears the same. If I put it in first with the motor turned off, I can push the car. Seems the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position. Any ideas before I call and have it towed tomorrow?

Old 05-11-2007 | 04:52 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
So if you put it into 5th can you still push it? If so input shaft in the tranny or even a broken half shaft, That is if you think the peddle feel is the same on the clutch. Do you think the clutch had been slipping before? I would think it would at least feel like it wanted to go if it was just a bad clutch plate given a level road.

Old 05-11-2007 | 09:58 AM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Just tried pushing it in 5th, and I can still push it.

The peddle feel is identical to how it was when it was working. The clutch always felt fine, no slipping.

If I put it in first, I can let the clutch complete out, and it runs as if in neutral. If I give it some gas, the car will try to roll forward an inch or two, but just barely.

Happy 3rd day of ownership to us :(

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:40 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
well just got back from the stealership... they seem to think it's the clutch, and quoted us at $2700 to repair it.

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:06 PM
03BRG
4th Gear
Bummer- time to give back if its only been 3 days

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:11 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 03BRG
Bummer- time to give back if its only been 3 days
car was purchased used from a dealer... I was under the impression there's no buyback policy

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:13 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Don't know what State you go it in, but did it have an "as-is" notice on it? In any case, the dealer is required to disclose known defects. Of course, the question is, how would you know if the dealer knew?

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:14 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by saxman
car was purchased used from a dealer... I was under the impression there's no buyback policy
There might be a 30-day/3,000 mile limited warranty...do you still have all the paperwork, including the window sheet?

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:27 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Uber Blu
There might be a 30-day/3,000 mile limited warranty...do you still have all the paperwork, including the window sheet?
we have a 3 year-36,000 mile warranty, but as the clutch is a wear item, it doesn't cover it

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:27 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
well just got back from the stealership... they seem to think it's the clutch, and quoted us at $2700 to repair it.
take it elsewhere. should be at $1000-$1400 job total. You gettin' raped.

Last edited by AZMCS; 05-17-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:34 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AZMCS
take it elsewhere. should be at $100-$1400 job total. You gettin' raped.
I called another place local and was quoted $1230, waiting to hear back from a few other places...

regardless, it really sucks that my 3 day old car, which a warranty tacked on to the price, is in the shop for $1000+ already.

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:09 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
That's true, sax, but it's probably why the original owner got rid of it. After the repair, it should be good to go (I hope).

Old 05-11-2007 | 04:08 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
quite frustrating as the car was inspected and all came out clear

the clutch went in such a weird way...
came down a long hill, pulled up to a stop sign, pulled away fine. Hit the next stop sign, and nothing. No smell of burnt clutch, etc. I really wish that the tranny had grenaded itself or something... would make me feel a lot better.

The mini dealer said that the way it went wouldn't really give any warning signs, so there's a chance the stealership we bought it from didn't intentionally burn us, but damn it, I want to blame someone.

Old 05-11-2007 | 05:09 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
quite frustrating as the car was inspected and all came out clear

the clutch went in such a weird way...
came down a long hill, pulled up to a stop sign, pulled away fine. Hit the next stop sign, and nothing. No smell of burnt clutch, etc. I really wish that the tranny had grenaded itself or something... would make me feel a lot better.

The mini dealer said that the way it went wouldn't really give any warning signs, so there's a chance the stealership we bought it from didn't intentionally burn us, but damn it, I want to blame someone.
"Who" inspected it? Who paid for the inspection? What kind of guarantee comes with the inspection?

Old 05-11-2007 | 05:40 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Uber Blu
"Who" inspected it? Who paid for the inspection? What kind of guarantee comes with the inspection?
It was inspected by the dealer that we purchased it from(I have the documents to show it was done, so not just taking them at their word). My stupid mistake for not having a third party inspect it at my cost. There was no guarantee of any sorts. From the sounds of it, it wouldn't have shown up anyway.

Old 05-15-2007 | 05:50 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Well, after playing a lot of phone tag, I've finally got some resolution. The dealer I purchased it from said if I tow it down to them, they'll replace the clutch free of charge. Means an expensive tow job, but certainly beats the alternative.

So thumbs up to Mini of SF where the car has been sitting since friday morning and hopefully thumbs up to Steven's Creek BMW for at least backing up what they sold in the first place.

Old 05-15-2007 | 06:55 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
If the clutch pedal feels "normal", then the it most likely a broken shaft in the transmission, I have replaced literally dozens of the early Midlands 5 speeds because of this. A clutch does not just "go", it wears and gets worse gradually. There may not have been anything that even a well qualified inspection would have uncovered, so you can't really blame the inspector, however, I hope there is a drivetrain warranty that will cover it, but it is not the clutch.
It sounds like you are dealing with people unfamiliar with MINI's and their early problems. I suggest looking elsewhere for someone who knows what they are doing.
--Dan

Old 05-15-2007 | 07:41 PM
5th Gear
It kinda sounds like the shift cable popped out, especially if there wasn't any obvious npise or smell when it happened.

Old 05-15-2007 | 08:35 PM
Fassbinder
2nd Gear
have them make sure that the output flange has not popped out of the differential section of the transmission (happened to my sister)

Old 05-15-2007 | 09:12 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
If the clutch pedal feels "normal", then the it most likely a broken shaft in the transmission, I have replaced literally dozens of the early Midlands 5 speeds because of this. A clutch does not just "go", it wears and gets worse gradually. There may not have been anything that even a well qualified inspection would have uncovered, so you can't really blame the inspector, however, I hope there is a drivetrain warranty that will cover it, but it is not the clutch.
It sounds like you are dealing with people unfamiliar with MINI's and their early problems. I suggest looking elsewhere for someone who knows what they are doing.
--Dan
I have a warranty that will cover pretty much everything else, just not the wear items, so the clutch was exempt.

Old 05-16-2007 | 07:12 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
I have a warranty that will cover pretty much everything else, just not the wear items, so the clutch was exempt.
Really, have them get a better look at it. They will find that it is the tranny and not the clutch, and fix it for you.
Is this a MINI dealer you bought the car from? If you have an aftermarket warranty from a used car dealer, you may want to call the nearest dealer and ask if they will accept it. This is a cut and dry situation, you just need to find the people to deal with.
--Dan

Old 05-16-2007 | 11:33 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
I purchased the car from Steven's Creek BMW with an aftermarket warranty. When the car died on me, I had it towed up to Mini of SF. They're the ones that told me it was a clutch that needed replace. The warranty I have will cover any tranny related issues, but not wear items like the clutch. If, when they open it up, it's the tranny and not the clutch, it's covered by the warranty, etc, so I'm not too worried about it at this point.

After talking to Stevens Creek many times over the past week, they told me that they'd replace the clutch free of charge if I towed it back down to them, which I did today. I'm waiting until they actually open it up to hear what the real issue is. It certainly seems off to be a clutch going out.

Old 05-17-2007 | 02:54 PM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Call the guys at Custom MINI shop in Fresno, CA. They know their sh*t. Sounds like the transmission went kaboom, but wouldn't know until the clutch is pulled from the transmission housing.

Old 05-17-2007 | 10:24 PM
saxman
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SRICHS
Call the guys at Custom MINI shop in Fresno, CA. They know their sh*t. Sounds like the transmission went kaboom, but wouldn't know until the clutch is pulled from the transmission housing.
Fresno is way too far for me to take the car. At this point I'm just waiting to hear the results of them taking the car apart.

Old 05-18-2007 | 12:20 AM
daflake
6th Gear
I agree with Dan on this. If you can still change gears and the car just revs and nothig else, it sounds like the tranny that died and not the clutch. There is a difference!

If it is the tranny, then it should be convered under warranty.

Quick Reply: Car won't move... clutch issue?