Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stop-n-go Clutching Technique

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 07:40 PM
wjklos
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched around for the answer here on MCO and over on Google, and didn't see anything that specifically addressed this issue....

In "stop and go" traffic, what is the proper technique for moving forward as the car in front of you begins to start? (besides the obvious - "Go stupid!&quot

Here is the situation - you're stopped. The car in front in front of you moves forward 1 car length, which is far enough for you to go, but not far enough to actually release the clutch all the way before having to engage it again (let's say you let it out only 1/4 to 1/2 way).

Should you wait until more space is in front of you to get a full release of the clutch, or is it OK to inch forward with partial clutch releases (which seems akin to holding yourself on a hill with the clutch - an obvious no-no)?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 05-26-2003, 12:24 AM
retroom
4th Gear
In your scenario there is no need to fully release the clutch, just move forward that little bit and engage the clutch again. Someone will cut in on you if you don't make up the stagger.

retroom

Old 05-26-2003, 08:34 AM
ball7068
2nd Gear
If you can find exactly where the clutch engages, you should be fine. Just put it in first and ease the clutch out to the point of engagement, but no further. The car should pull forward without having to give it gas, and without stalling (as long as the car will rest in neutral without rolling - this doesnt work so well when you're on inclines)

Erik

Old 05-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Katiedidmini
4th Gear
What about when you are stopped? Do you leave the car in 1st with the clutch fully depressed, or do you switch into neutral everytime you stop? I was told that most people don't realize that leaving the clutch fully depressed a lot will wear the clutch out sooner. But in stop and go traffic, the constant switch from neutral to first to neautral again can leave me a bit anxious.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
yes Katie, that is right. Holding your clutch open (to the floor) will stress the slave cylinder and cause premature wear (although it's not that big of a deal). I'm too lazy to hold it to the floor anyway, so I'm usually in neutral before I even stop. :evil:

Back to the point: Do whatever is easiest for you. Yes, inching the car forward with partial clutch is not good, but niether is traffic in general. You don't have much other choice if you plan on getting home during rush-hour than to creep the car forward!
Advice? Don't drive in traffic; Motoring is much more fun that way!
Cheers,
Ryan!

Old 05-26-2003, 09:09 AM
SlidewaysMini
2nd Gear
>>What about when you are stopped? Do you leave the car in 1st with the clutch fully depressed, or do you switch into neutral everytime you stop? I was told that most people don't realize that leaving the clutch fully depressed a lot will wear the clutch out sooner. But in stop and go traffic, the constant switch from neutral to first to neautral again can leave me a bit anxious.

Try to avoid leaving it in 1st with the clutch depressed, put it in nuetral, otherwise it's true you will wear the clutch out faster. It's kind of a hassle in stop & go rush hour traffic but it will soon become second nature.
Polythene Pam- what a great name!

Old 05-26-2003, 09:34 AM
wjklos
4th Gear
Thanks Ryephile (and everyone else)!

I typically put it in neutral at stop lights (when they're red :smile, and in stop/go traffic if I'll be sitting there for a minute or more. And will inch forward as necessary. I was just wondering what the "school of thought" was!

And retroom is right, if you leave enough room to fully disengage the clutch, some jerk will cut in front of you, not to mention the incessant horn honking from behind.

Cheers,
Bill

Old 05-27-2003, 06:21 AM
sjbartnik
2nd Gear
If you are holding the clutch pedal down while stopped (with engine running) it's not so much that you wear the clutch (because there is no clutch wear happening at that point) but you do put a little (probably insignificant) extra wear on the clutch release bearing (aka throwout bearing) since it is spinning as long as you have the clutch pedal held down.

The clutch release bearing is about a $10 part. However it's one of those $10 parts that you have to take the engine or transmission out to replace!

Thankfully, they usually last a very long time, even if you keep your foot on the clutch pedal while stopped. They will easily last until the clutch disc wears out, at which point you're going to replace the release bearing anyway while you're in there.

The best way to work traffic is big-rig style. If you've ever noticed, they creep along at a couple miles per hour. They're not concerned with being right on the bumper of the guy in front. They maintain a constant speed (as constant as possible) so that they don't have to brake or declutch as traffic ahead starts then stops then starts, etc. They also leave enough room so that the odd car darting in and out in front of them will not upset their pace.

This technique works well for cars too, though it can be hard to do in certain traffic situations. Just put it in first, let the clutch out and creep along. If people in front start to slow down, let off the throttle and let the car idle in first. Use that space cushion in front of you to avoid braking and if you time it right, by the time you catch up to the car in front, they will have started moving again. Resist the urge to stomp the throttle and catch right up to them. :smile:

This way while every other bonehead is busy doing the gas gas brake, gas gas brake dance, you cruise right along. Then when traffic clears floor it and get up to speed as quickly as possible :smile:

Old 05-27-2003, 06:36 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
release the clutch and smoke the tires

Old 05-27-2003, 06:42 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
>>The best way to work traffic is big-rig style. If you've ever noticed, they creep along at a couple miles per hour. They're not concerned with being right on the bumper of the guy in front. They maintain a constant speed (as constant as possible) so that they don't have to brake or declutch as traffic ahead starts then stops then starts, etc. They also leave enough room so that the odd car darting in and out in front of them will not upset their pace.
>>
>>This technique works well for cars too, though it can be hard to do in certain traffic situations. Just put it in first, let the clutch out and creep along. If people in front start to slow down, let off the throttle and let the car idle in first. Use that space cushion in front of you to avoid braking and if you time it right, by the time you catch up to the car in front, they will have started moving again. Resist the urge to stomp the throttle and catch right up to them. :smile:

Yeah... "certain traffic situations" is basically all traffic in the PA/NJ/NY area

Out here, give someone an inch and they interpret it as "go ahead jump in front of me and stomp on your brakes.