Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken Dipstick on MCS JCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 AM
WJHMH
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a plastic shaft? I had mine break yesterday but at least I was able to get it out & replaced it with an OEM, this is a common issue & the dealer has told me that in worst case scenario the oil pan would have to removed. I'd like to know when else offers a better aftermarket version.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
GregO
4th Gear
dipstick

+1 with a broken oil dipstick. 2006 MCS 29,000 miles. I pulled it yesterday to inspect the oil level and found a "crimp" about 6 inches from the top. WTF???!!!*&^%$#@!! I thought. I shoved it back in and ordered a new one. Why is there not a metal replacement shaft??? I'm tempted to use a coat hanger instead.

Greg

Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
Yep;
I measured the OEM dip stick 3 times from the stop on the handle to the high and low level points at the bottom on that stupid thing you can't read.
I did that sometime ago before it broke.
*Note* the last step is trimming the stainless steel spine.
Do not cut the stick to length yet
Disclaimer here, these are the measurements I arrived at and used, your results may be different.
Stop to high oil level = 55mm
Stop to low oil level = 57mm
The metal for the stick is the stainless steel spine from a 26" windshield wiper blade. I was all set to buy a new one but lucked out when I got to the auto parts store. I found what I was looking for sitting right there in front of the store in their trash can, they replace wiper blades for customers right in front of the store, score!
Anyway, cut off whats left of the stick from the handle, then drill or Dremel the handle out enough to just go past the two O rings. Test fit stainless steel spine into hole often, you don't want it to big. Well there isn't much there to work with anyway.
Now cut some notches in the end of the spine. I used JB Weld, two part epoxy to bond the spine into the handle.
Let it sit and harden up per JB Weld instructions.
Now you can measure 3 times and cut once at about 59mm.
I used metal number and letter stamps to mark high (55mm) and low (57mm) level lines and filled in between those lines with IIXXXXXXII> stamp to give the oil something to cling to.
On the end of the stick you want to shape it like a spear point and polish it up so it will slip by that step you can feel when inserting the dip stick.

That's about it.
Do you mean cm not mm...............
59mm long is only just over 2 inches.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
Do you mean cm not mm...............
59mm long is only just over 2 inches.
Yep, your right.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great, just discovered mine has broken the outer plastic sheath, but the yellow fiber center is still clinging together.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump

Originally Posted by norm03s
Yep;
I measured the OEM dip stick 3 times from the stop on the handle to the high and low level points at the bottom on that stupid thing you can't read.
I did that sometime ago before it broke.
*Note* the last step is trimming the stainless steel spine.
Do not cut the stick to length yet
Disclaimer here, these are the measurements I arrived at and used, your results may be different.
Stop to high oil level = 55cm
Stop to low oil level = 57cm
The metal for the stick is the stainless steel spine from a 26" windshield wiper blade. I was all set to buy a new one but lucked out when I got to the auto parts store. I found what I was looking for sitting right there in front of the store in their trash can, they replace wiper blades for customers right in front of the store, score!
Anyway, cut off whats left of the stick from the handle, then drill or Dremel the handle out enough to just go past the two O rings. Test fit stainless steel spine into hole often, you don't want it to big. Well there isn't much there to work with anyway.
Now cut some notches in the end of the spine. I used JB Weld, two part epoxy to bond the spine into the handle.
Let it sit and harden up per JB Weld instructions.
Now you can measure 3 times and cut once at about 59cm.
I used metal number and letter stamps to mark high (55cm) and low (57cm) level lines and filled in between those lines with IIXXXXXXII> stamp to give the oil something to cling to.
On the end of the stick you want to shape it like a spear point and polish it up so it will slip by that step you can feel when inserting the dip stick.

That's about it.
This is still one of my best piece of mind modifications after the OEM stick broke, works great lasts a long time.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM
dilyb
Neutral
several metal choices in aftermarket

After breaking my second stick (both held on by threads so I didn't have removal challenge) I looked and found the Craven metal replacement for $72 but then bought the Outmotoring metal replacement for $24 ... yes, 1/3 the price! Hope it works ... shouldn't be rocketscience to make a metal dipstick ... c'mon MINI!!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Is that the best option for under $30? I'm ordering one today.