Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Down the road maintenance of CVTs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 04:28 PM
photonicdj
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This CVT thing is a little disconcerting to me. Belts and pulleys shifting my gears? Timeing belts etc wear out and have to be replaced. If I go with the mini cooper with CVT can I expect an eventual huge overhaul of the belts in the transmission which would equal big bucks? (Maybe I just dont fully understand how it works.) Any thoughts?
-Photonicdj

Old 06-01-2003, 10:33 PM
diamini
Banned
The CVT that is in the MINI requires no maintenance. It uses steal belts and two cones, to shift back a forth between the gears.

How long will they last? Well I will find out. I have some huge mods in the near future that will break this transmission if it is junk.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Astro
3rd Gear
Diamini,
you do realize that they didn't offer the CVT on the supercharged version for fear of the transmission not being able to handle the torque, don't you?

Old 06-03-2003, 10:30 AM
C4
Banned
Because the current MINI ZF CVT is rated at 150HP peak. However this CVT with the right enhancements could possibly break the 200HP barrier. Proof of how far CVTs have gone is the one currently installed in the Audi A6 2.7L V6 sedan capable of handling 224HP.

Never underestimate the potential offered by CVTs. I have an automotive engineering journal in front of me and current developments in CVT technology are jaw dropping indeed.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:05 PM
boognish
4th Gear

The new Nissan Murano "SUV" also has a CVT transmission, that is mated to a 240 HP 3.5L V6 engine (the same engine that's in the Nissan Maxima). So yes, CVT's are gaining mainstream popularity. GM is introducing CVTs on several of its Saturn line of cars next year. And as cooper4us pointed out, Audi has been using CVTs for decades in its cars. I see the future of automatic car transmissions...and it's spelled C-V-T!

Motor on,

Joe

On Order (Expected arrival at my dealer on June 5th!!!): 2003 MINI, CVT, Black/Black with chrome bumpers and mirror caps. Sports package, cold weather package, Premium package, Harman Kardon, 16" 5-spoke runflats. Just a few more days!

Old 06-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
I'm not saying that a CVT cannot handle torque, I am saying the CVT which comes in the mini is not up to the task.
I agree, the future of automatic transmission is CVT. Subaru and Honda have produced these as well as Audi and Nissan.

Off Topic: Joe, with a screen name like boognish, you must be a Ween fan. Me too!

Old 06-04-2003, 12:08 PM
nfo
6th Gear
we'll Astro.
hopefully our CVT's won't be pushing any daisy's!

Old 06-04-2003, 02:06 PM
boognish
4th Gear
>>I'm not saying that a CVT cannot handle torque, I am saying the CVT which comes in the mini is not up to the task.
>>I agree, the future of automatic transmission is CVT. Subaru and Honda have produced these as well as Audi and Nissan.

Yea, I hope the MINI CVT (I think it's manufactured by a German company called "ZF" maybe someone can verify this?) will last and last and last...just as long as a conventional automatic tranny. Only time will tell. The MINI CVT is rated to handle up to 150 HP...I think the belts will hold up just fine. There's a guy on MINI2 that races his CVT all the time, pushing it to (and leaving it at) 6000 RPM practically for the entire race (2 miles course) and he has not encountered any problems with pushing the CVT to its limits... so for a normal every-day driver, the MINI CVT should prove more than capable.

I just got the good news that my MINI has arrived at the dealer, but I can't pick it up until Saturday. Just when I thought all my decision making was over, now I have to decide which CD's to bring for the one hour ride home from the dealer! (Can't wait to hear that Harmon Kardon!)

>>Off Topic: Joe, with a screen name like boognish, you must be a Ween fan. Me too!

Yes, I am a huge fan of Ween. I live on the Jersey Shore, and frequent the hometown of Ween (New Hope, PA) which is only about 70 miles west of here. Ween often plays "surprise" gigs at John & Peter's place in New Hope, which only holds about 150 people, so the shows are always intense and very intimate. Their new album, titled "quebec" will be released on July 22nd. I've heard just about every song that's gonna be on it, and they're all amazing in their own right. I'm on AOL Instant Messenger as: MightyBoognish so feel free to drop my a line anytime you see me on-line.

Rock on,

Joe