Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Light Came on This Morning!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing is to have the dealer tell you what code is being thrown. The yellow CEL light covers a lot of things. The software update fixes the O2 sensor sensitivity which is the cause of most CEL lights. It fixes numerous other things too.

I am no familiar with Canadians recourse if the dealer is not fixing the issue. We have MiniUSA to holler at when the dealer is not making things right.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
mini_amber
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey i had a question. i have had my mini for maybe 3 months now. its been in the shop two times now. one for stalling and difficult time getting it started. they explained something about there was moisture in the hose for the gas or throttle pedal. this made no sense to me. then i had problems one morning it was backfiring, running like **** jumping up and down in rpm on idle from 1k to 1700. it showed a engine malfunction light came on. it was running in limp mode. it was my only form of trans to get to work so trying to drive it it would go no faster than 30mph. i restarted it a few times but it still ran like ****. so i made it to work eventually but i dont understand wtf. so they towed it to the dealership and they said there was moisture in the oil they assumed and changed it. they said its just because its so cold i have to drive it more than 15 mins at a time. and i have to just wait it out til it gets warmer. that I'm always going to have problems with the car starting or running. well first off its a 45 min drive to work. it takes longer than 15 mins to get anywhere so I'm like whatever. ive had all sorts of cars and ive never had this prob.and the dealership is now telling me its a problem with a lot of minis getting "moisture in the engine" and then said well its not just minis other manufacturers are having the same prob.can someone help a girl out?? thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 AM
johnfredbarry
1st Gear
Hi-
I did not have any weird idle, but did stall and run rough. Dealership claimed a bad wiring harness under the hood. They replaced, car runs fine. When computer senses something is wrong, somewhere, and it limits RPM. I guess that is the limp mode you describe?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mini_amber, is it possible you got some bad gas? This time of year it is possible for gas to be contaminated with water quite easily. Might try tanking up from another station.

Also, keep the tank full as much as possible. This will reduce the moisture buildup from atmospheric moisture collecting on the walls of the fuel tank.

Just some thoughts.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 AM
mini_amber
Neutral
i always keep the tank full. i use bp gas 93 octane. so i know its not that.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
ITALNJOB84
2nd Gear
Same problem

I have an '07 manual and the first time this happened to me was on Dec. 31st. The CEL came on and was half-filled in and the car sputtered and the tach like you said amber goes from 1,000 to 1,500. It has happened about three other times and it seems that when it warms up for about 10 minutes and then you turn off the car and turn it back on it is ok or at least stops sputtering. i'm taking mine in in about two weeks to have them look at it. Who knows maybe we have a lemon on our hand

Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Sound anything like this guys' problem?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=124867

Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
mini_amber
Neutral
somewhat. when i started it it was already having problems. it was backfireing, the engine sounded like **** and plus it was reving up and down like the guy stated. i did not smell any burning smell. i do really think my car is a lemon. it always seems to be a "moisture problem" everytime i take it into the dealership.and its always something else; its never the same prob. ive had the car for two months now.for the most part my experience with the mini has not been so great. it had to be towed from my work and it takes more gas than my fully built turboed del sol. i was really excited about getting this new mini its a 6spd type s thought it was different i dont know anything about them really but i got one anyways.
i noticed the 2006's when they gave me a loaner have a nicer looking dash with the tach more streamline into the dash and the radio was more normal i should say looking. the 2007's are strange with two ***** to function its dumb in my opinion. the interior lighting is really cool in the 2007's. theres like two other people who have minis and all they say is good things about them. i just wish mine wasnt such a *****.

(it was funny when they gave me that 2006 loaner i swear it had the john cooper works or something because it was wayyy faster than mine it scooted.i tried to race some people in it.lol. )