Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Light Came on This Morning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Shadowgram
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Light Came on This Morning!

I have went over couple of the thread regarding engine light and engine sputtering, but my situation is a little different. My MCSa is about 2 months old @ 2K today. The car has been running well with only occussional studder with cold start.
This morning when I start my car there was a lot of vibration (sputtering?) then the check engine light came on with warning message indicating emssion malfunction (on navi screen). I had fill my car with a new tank of gas last light so I figure may be my gas cap was not properly tighten. So I shut off the car and went to check my gas cap and it seemed fine. Restart the car and the vibration is gone but engine light reamained on, restart again with same result. So I called my Mini dealer and told that I can bring the mini in right away for checkup. That's why I am now at the dealer and posting this using their network
Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came on this morning as well. I had plowed through some very deep water last due to being caught in a flood. I suspect moisture got to where to is not supposed to be.

I called and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday. I am not concerned about the light as the engine is running fine and I cannot discern any difference at all in smoothness or power.

My case will probably be a false trigger.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, mine cleared itself yesterday. I guess whatever got wet dried off enough to fix the issue.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Yes mine came on two days ago after a fast run and when I decelerated to a stop light. Reset itself on its own today. This is the second time that it happened in 950 miles. I am not worrying myself about it , probably just a part of the run in scenerio.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Seems to be related to moisture collecting on something that should not be getting wet. I talked to my service guy and he feels it is probably nothing, but is going to hold my appointment open for me just in case.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Shadowgram
2nd Gear
update

Update: It turns out that there was some misfiring and that's it. I was told that I probably got some air into the fuel line because I was letting the gas run a little too close to empty.
Note to self: the mini does not run on flumes

Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Well, it is never a really good idea to let any car with a fuel pump in the gas tank to run low, as the pumps do depend on the fuel for cooling.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
Seems to be related to moisture collecting on something that should not be getting wet. I talked to my service guy and he feels it is probably nothing, but is going to hold my appointment open for me just in case.
Well that cant be the cause in my case, we have a severe drought in my area for the past four months. Little or no rain. I read in the mini2 forum that the same problem exists todayin the UK for new R56 cars . They say that two software mods will be available soon to fix the problem.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I think we need to quantify which "check engine light" everyone is seeing. According to the manual there are 4 different ones.

There are two with just an engine outline. One flashes, the other does not.
Then there is the one with the engine outline and half filled solid in either yellow or red. They all mean something different.

Mine was the solid outlined one, which seems to be the least severe. Ok to drive, just take it easy.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Mine is solid yellow engine outline. no flashing

Old 06-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
It it is just the outline of the engine and not flashing, then it is indicating some type of emission warning, but still safe to drive. Sounds like the O2 sensor reading being oversensitive, which has plagued a number of folks.

That is what mine had, which cured itself. Although mine is not an MCS, so there could be more to it for the MCS.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
ron56black
1st Gear
Mine (yellow outline) came on today while in bumper-to-bumper blizzard conditions. I called my dealer and he is unconcerned. Says it is a software upgrade issue most likely. I did not notice any change in the performance or sound of the engine.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Ambient temperatures seem to cause it as well. It is all covered in a software upgrade which contains a rather long list of fixes/changes.

I do know one persin who got the upgrade and it caused the intermittent operation of the windshield wipers to stop working. I would rather live with the intermittent CEL than without the intermittent windshield wiper function.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ron56black
Mine (yellow outline) came on today while in bumper-to-bumper blizzard conditions. I called my dealer and he is unconcerned. Says it is a software upgrade issue most likely. I did not notice any change in the performance or sound of the engine.
Mine came on last night on the way home from work and was still on this morning. Been in the 20s and snowy here since Sunday. Otherwise, the car is running perfectly fine. My brother has a code reader and is going to check it out tonight.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
Mine came on last night on the way home from work and was still on this morning. Been in the 20s and snowy here since Sunday. Otherwise, the car is running perfectly fine. My brother has a code reader and is going to check it out tonight.
Just bring it back to the dealer for the program upgrade. It is a common problem.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
Just bring it back to the dealer for the program upgrade. It is a common problem.
Yeah, if my bro can't reset it I will. Just trying to save myself the 2 hour drive at this time of year. The snow has come a little early this year and I hate it.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
acebutt
3rd Gear
MCa w/3300 mi. drove about 2 miles today in 30 deg. weather.Shut engine off for an hr.Started up & drive about a mile & noticed solid yellow engine light on big speedo. Engine running smoothly as usual.
So this is a common problem and all I need is a software upgrade? Unfortunately dealer is 200 miles away. Anybody gone for months with cel on, or will it go away on it's own? Haven't contacted dealer yet.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Mine comes and goes, on its own, all the time since the weather started getting cooler. It is getting warmer here, so it will turn off again tomorrow, is my bet. The engine has never missed a beat.

I am only going to do the software upgrade if they can gaurantee I will not lose my intermittent wiper function.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM
'07turbo
Neutral
off topic but......has any one got the "increased emissions" message? cause that generally accompanies my CIL, and usually around an 1/8 tank of fuel.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
BINGO! The light went off as predicted. I think I have this down to a science.

I never get an actual message. Did not know that was even possible.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 AM
'07turbo
Neutral
i got the "increased emission" message in the bottom of my NAV screen, maybe specific to that feature? but ive only got the message twice and if memory serves me, i needed a trip to the gas station. i was just wondering if any one else had got the same thing?

Last edited by '07turbo; 12-06-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
It seems, that would be a feature of Mini's with the NAV option.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
BINGO! The light went off as predicted. I think I have this down to a science.

I never get an actual message. Did not know that was even possible.
What was the temp when it came on compared to when it out? We've been stuck in the 20s here since Monday. I think my MINI is chilled.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
a4autocrossr
2nd Gear
hey, same problem here....i drove about 2 miles in 25degree temps today, ran into a store with a friend still in the car (running) and when i came back out a minute later light was on. car doesnt rally feel different. my only concern was that i planned on taking a 300 mile round trip this weekend and my dealership couldnt schedule an appt till monday morn. should i cancel the trip?

--E

Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Romi seems to turn hers off at around an ambient of 60F, or so, but only after she has been parked for more than 4 hours, or so.

She turns it on when it gets below 45F, or so.

Yellow is just a 'heads-up' kind of thing. According to the manual and everything I can gleen from the dealership, the car is ok to drive with a yellow CEL.

Quick Reply: Engine Light Came on This Morning!