Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Flat tire

So driving North on the 5 returning home from San Diego the tire pressure monitor goes off. I am near an exit with a service station and get the air turned on. Well the air is flowing out of the tire, I can hear it and feel it. So into the boot to figure out how to replace the flat. A few minutes late the tire is off and there is a slice going against the tread.

My car had less than 500 miles on it when this happened. I haven't even had the car for a full week, and already I am driving on the donught and I don't think this tire can be repaired. I will post some pics later to see if anyone thinks a repair is possible. I am also going to call the MA but I pretty much think I am screwed since I just paid rent and can't afford a new tire or a repair at this time.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Salty
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that stinks. If it's a slice I don't think they can repair it, I think you can only repair a tire if it is punctured.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
valthun
4th Gear
further inspection it looks like a tear, and it is not clean. Checking to determine which images are useful at this moment.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 PM
valthun
4th Gear
The pics are in my gallery

Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me after the first week. The cut does not look that bad. I wonder if it can be patched from the inside?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
If there is a discount tire in your area, they can give you a good answer and fix it for free if it is fixable.

good luck

Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
valthun
4th Gear
The closest DT is in Hawthorne, deffinately not a lunch hour trip. But I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 AM
promking
2nd Gear
I feel your pain. Lat week I drove over a screw that embedded itself in between the tread. After limping to my dealer they told me run flats cannot be plugged and i'd have to replace it. $392 later I drove off fuming and declaring that next flat I get I would replace all four tires with non run-flat performace tires and carry a can of fix-o-flat.I pledge that is the last run-flat I ever purchase, and I will never purchase a tire from a dealer again either. BTW, when service asked me if i'd opted for the tire insurance my salesperson kinda looked away and down at the floor because HE NEVER INFORMED ME OF IT AT THE POINT OF SALE!!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
valthun
4th Gear
I heard nothing of tire insurance. I did get the lease insurance though. I do not have run flats. But still. I emailed my MA this morning, hopefully I will hear something soon.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
That doesn't look that bad at all. It could probably be plugged no problem, patched for sure.

Nik

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely, it looks like it could be vulcanised patched.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by promking
I feel your pain. Lat week I drove over a screw that embedded itself in between the tread. After limping to my dealer they told me run flats cannot be plugged and i'd have to replace it. $392 later I drove off fuming and declaring that next flat I get I would replace all four tires with non run-flat performace tires and carry a can of fix-o-flat.I pledge that is the last run-flat I ever purchase, and I will never purchase a tire from a dealer again either. BTW, when service asked me if i'd opted for the tire insurance my salesperson kinda looked away and down at the floor because HE NEVER INFORMED ME OF IT AT THE POINT OF SALE!!
I can understand the aversion to run-flats, but they CAN be fixed. Many shops just don't want to bother because they are hard to mount.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
LynnEl is right...runflats can be fixed.
The only time they cant is when its on the sidewall, or an actual tear (bigger than the one you have). I am on my last set of run flats too. Cant believe how much they cost, and the extra worry you have when there are 4 guys trying to pry it onto your rim. Never again. I'll do what ever I have to to avoid ever getting them again, and save myself a ton of money to boot.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by valthun
I do not have run flats.
Looks like a regular tire, fixing it should be easy.

Nik

Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
valthun
4th Gear
turns out MINI service doesn't repair tires, they will only replace tires. Nice, I am going to NAPA after work and get their opinion on if a tire repair kit will work. If so, then I will buy that 7 dollar part and patch it myself. Or try to get a tire repair place to fix it for me.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
kenatminimania
Former Vendor
In my area, some shops will repair runflats as long as the tread depth exceeds their 'minimum' tread depth. Once it is worn past their 'minimum', most won't touch it. They also won't touch sidewall repairs.

k

Last edited by kenatminimania; 07-05-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
old81
M6
Valthun,

Looked at your pics. You might get by with a vulcanized patch on the inside. Not many tire shops will want to take the risk of repair on your cut/tear.

They don't want to be liable, if you should have an accident after the repair.

I suggest you bite the plastic and get a new tire. Your car and yourself are worth more than the hassle your putting yourself through.

Best of luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
valthun
4th Gear
except I just paid rent, and put down money on this car last Friday so I do not have the money for a new tire at this point, or the price to get it mounted. It is lame that MINI won't provide any help on a car that goes flat within 500 miles of taking the car.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Salty
3rd Gear
If money is that tight and the tire turns out to be un-patchable, I would just drive on the do-nut for awhile. Just don't go over 50

Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by valthun
turns out MINI service doesn't repair tires, they will only replace tires. Nice, I am going to NAPA after work and get their opinion on if a tire repair kit will work. If so, then I will buy that 7 dollar part and patch it myself. Or try to get a tire repair place to fix it for me.
I wouldn't try patching it - repair kits are made to plug screw holes - not horizontal cuts like your pic shows. Should be easy enough for a shop to fix though.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
I would take it to a repair shop as well. If they can repair it, I don't think it would cost more that $20. You could at least take it to a shop and get a free estimate.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 PM
valthun
4th Gear
There is a dunlop dealer near me I am going to take it to them. See if they can patch or see if there is any chance of it being covered under the tires warranty.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
I've had Discount Tire repair tires of mine and friends that weren't even purchased there, as long as its a brand they carry. It's good customer service. Where would you go for your next set of tires if you were given service like that? It's basically good training and experience since thats a job that most of the new people start on.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I bet it can be patched easily for under $20 if you've already taken it off the car. I doubt they try and sell wheel/tire insurance on non runflats. I got quoted $700 for the insurance (!!!). I could buy a whole new set for close to that. And there was a $2000 limit and a limit of replacing 4 tires I think. Yeah right. Discount Tire charged me $100 for insurance on the new tires for my Jeep, and they had to replace all 4 when I damaged one with a rock because the tread was worn down too much to replace just one with the 4WD system. That was a bargain. The Mini deal was a ripoff.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 07-05-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Unpatchable tire. So 280 from Discount Tire and they have to order the tire first. So I am shopping around now. But this really sucks. Less than 500 miles and I have no tire. Yeah do-nut spares. On the plus side being a previous Discount Tire customer I can get tire coverage for 88 bucks with the existing tires.

Quick Reply: Flat tire