Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Wind Noise at anything over 75mph!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 07:32 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by itburns
Here's a video of the windshield seal noise. If you have a bad seal, you do not have to be going triple digits, just fast with a cross wind.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=18388730
I couldn't let your information pass without commenting on your 66 Austin Cooper Speedwell blue. I had a Speedwell catalog of go fast goodies for my '64 Austin Healy Sprite. I hung on to that catalog for 40 years and threw it out when I moved a few years back. I lived in England for five years and Speedwell was a well known tuning parts supplier. It was a surprise to see that name again after all these years.

Old 11-18-2007 | 07:50 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Here's a video of the windshield seal noise. If you have a bad seal, you do not have to be going triple digits, just fast with a cross wind.
I just viewed the video and the sound is exactly what I hear at 80+ MPH and at lower speeds with a crosswind. I experimented with various pulls and pushes. I found that if I push hard on the "console" above the windshield the noise stops. Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer.

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:35 PM
robs
Neutral
Hey guys,

I just want to let you know how helpful I found this thread to be. I have the wind noise issue, and the passenger airbag issue on my 07 MCS.

I had been going back and forth with my local dealer for a few weeks now trying to figure out the problem with the wind noise, and, until I found this thread, I thought the wind noise issue was something I was going to have to live with.

Today I brought this thread to my local dealer and showed them the post about it maybe being the windshield. They took the car and printed the post, and are going to tape the car up, let me test drive it, and see if the windshield is to cause for the speed issue (I have to test drive it because they won't take the car over a certain speed limit, as I guess someone else on this forum noted already).

All in all I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for posting to this board, I was really starting to think I was the only person who was having this issue.

I also wanted to comment on how really great the guys at my local dealership are. Not only are they willing to do what it takes to fix the problem, but they are also willing to work with me on it and make sure I'm happy. It's pretty rare a car dealership does that.

Old 03-08-2008 | 05:41 AM
Krut
6th Gear
That's what we're here for! :-)

Old 03-27-2008 | 10:21 AM
rifai1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chopperace
I get a high pitched wind noise sound, but I don't have a sunroof. I hear it on both the the driver and passenger side.
I have the same issue. First i thought it was only the driver door on my 05 MCS because the door has been in a serious accident. But when testing the passenger side i found the same problem. I inspected other MINIs and my window fits in the same way, dealer also saw no problem with it. I got an 07 MC loaner once and it did the same thing in the rain. It seems to be louder in the rain due to water noise. Ive come to just accept it after months of trying to fix it.

Old 03-27-2008 | 10:22 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Stop sticking your head out of the window while your owner is driving.

Old 03-27-2008 | 12:11 PM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VictoryDaveAZ
Great news. The dealer was able to re-create the wind noise at about 60 with a cross wind on the interstate. Their comment was, "wow what an excessive and loud noise, you were not kidding". I told them it sounded like a freight train coming through the cab. They found a leak on the upper part of the windshield. They called in a windshield company and were able to reseal the window without removing it.
Now if they can figure out the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. It keeps coming on when my wife is setting in the seat.
as a public service announcement it would be great if you could provide the name and phone number of your dealer. that way we could refer dealers who are less than understanding to a dealer who is more supportive.

i plan to mention it when i bring mine in for its first service (20k miles), and i fear they will tell me, "if you are breaking the speed limit we cannot replicate it, ergo there is no problem."

if they say that i might be tempted to smack 'em upside the head. errrrr, just kidding.

Old 03-27-2008 | 02:48 PM
matty125
5th Gear
The CURE....

As this is my Video, I thought Id chime in.... The window noise happens when BMW used either the wrong Gasket, or simply a poorily fit Gasket to seal the windsheild. It was a warranty fix and BMW, however quiet about it, accepted responsibility. If you push directly behind your rear view mirror, the sound goes away...pending on how hard your push. I have had the car up to 145 mph with no more noise, however with a cross wind occasional howling is common....not at all like what the car produced in this video however.
The Dealer was not impressed when I showed them this very video, the car only had 300 miles on it. You know that whole break in period

Old 03-28-2008 | 04:27 PM
Sven071
1st Gear
I have the same noise on the drivers side... it is a bit annoying... before I take it in I was going to try some rubber conditioner to see if that takes care of it.... from what I have found, 3M makes a good product

Old 03-28-2008 | 05:24 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
As this is my Video, I thought Id chime in.... The window noise happens when BMW used either the wrong Gasket, or simply a poorily fit Gasket to seal the windsheild. It was a warranty fix and BMW, however quiet about it, accepted responsibility. If you push directly behind your rear view mirror, the sound goes away...pending on how hard your push. I have had the car up to 145 mph with no more noise, however with a cross wind occasional howling is common....not at all like what the car produced in this video however.
The Dealer was not impressed when I showed them this very video, the car only had 300 miles on it. You know that whole break in period
Exactamente, when you push on the roof behind the windshield the noise stops. Trouble is you can't keep your hand up there. I've mentioned this to my dealer and have received no response. I am going to try a piece of duct tape in that area. If the noise stops then I think I can confirm what a lot of us already know, poor seal. Thanks for confirming the push on the roof......

Old 05-30-2008 | 01:40 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Had mine fixed and is happening again. Thanks to matty125 for the video. Its what I showed to the SA to explain what is happening. I just made an appointment to get it checked again. . .maybe they used a crappy sealant?

Old 06-02-2008 | 12:35 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Thanks for posting this, this is exactly what I have happening. I will get it going 70mph with a headwind or crosswind.

Do I just say windshield gasket and they will know what i mean?

Thanks again

Old 06-10-2008 | 04:05 PM
capnbill
1st Gear
Had the same thing on my 07 R56. The guys at Vista Mini in Pompano Beach, FL had the fix. The dealers should know about it.....it involves taking off the trim strip on the top of the windshield and putting a strip of rubber filler in there. Mine seems cured. Sound reminded me of an old mechanical speedo cable that needed lubrication.

Old 06-11-2008 | 08:58 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
My dealer said they do not do the windshield stuff there but need to have their 3rd party windshield place come in. Are they still going to know about it? Anyone know if Mini has posted it down to the SA's?

Old 06-11-2008 | 10:13 AM
Smoogy
1st Gear
I just recently started to get this howling noise and its really annoying. I'm just glad that there is a fix and hopefully my local dealer can take car of it.

Old 06-13-2008 | 07:03 AM
blownt
1st Gear
Check the black plastic A pillar molding between the windshield and the side window. If wind finds it's way in there it will definently make a roaring noise.

Had a little roaring wind noise, then I heard a bang like something hit the car while driving down the freeway. Then had a LOUD roaring wind noise. When we got where we were going saw that the passenger side black plastic side windshield molding had broke in half. So will stop by the dealer and see if I can get that place. Under that moulding are holes that look like it goes into the A pillar so I imagine the wind can get in there and make noise.

Old 06-19-2008 | 05:39 PM
investigator
4th Gear
The noise that I and many others have experienced is absolutely due to a bad seal at the top center of the windshield. I had my windshield replaced two days ago because of a huge crack in it from a rock thrown up. The next day I was out on the highway and voila ! the noise is gone. I watched the guys replace the glass and they did a darn good job of sealing it. No more noise. Here in Florida if you have to have your windshield replaced your insurance covers the whole price. Nice. I am so glad the noise has gone so I no longer have to drive pushing hard behind the rear view mirror.

Old 06-26-2008 | 10:11 PM
Smoogy
1st Gear
Just took my MINI to the dealer this morning and was told that there is a dealer service bulletin for this exact problem.

Old 06-27-2008 | 04:49 AM
investigator
4th Gear
It's about time someone from Mini USA recognized that there was a problem. As I had menioned in an earlier post, since my windshield has been replaced I've had no noise at all at any speed.

Old 06-27-2008 | 04:55 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Smoogy
Just took my MINI to the dealer this morning and was told that there is a dealer service bulletin for this exact problem.
Can you please ask your dealer for the sevice bulletin number and post it here? I've tried to tell my dealer about service bulletins referenced here in the past only to have them say that they're not aware of any.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 07-18-2008 | 05:25 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
*bump*

Can somebody please post the TSB?

Old 07-18-2008 | 12:51 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
Glad you resolved your wind noise problem - if you could please ensure that you are not discussing your excessive speed issues on NAM - as it does violate NAM's rule #5 which I quoth from the guidelines:

#5 LEGAL - Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.

KRUT .... There is nothing illegal in Scotts post, to little facts are shared to produce your conclusion that any illegal activity happened. The post centers around wind howling and for anyone who has the issue and cannot speed because of rule number five, take a video of it to the dealer, thats all I did after they didnt beleive me ( hell use my video if you have too, I think the one I posted does not have the speedo in the picture). Have 2 people obviously in the car, it helps if you put your hand up on the glass behing the mirror and apply pressure, bye now however its common knowleged these cars do this. If a dealer ...SHOP denies any knowledge of the issue, they are giving you the cold shoulder.

Last edited by matty125; 07-19-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:23 PM
leek
2nd Gear
I also would like the TSB, as when we took it in, they said "It's not any louder than any other Mini. If there is a TSB we need the number." And we aren't regularly going 75 in downtown Chicago, it's def. a cross-wind thing.

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:40 PM
hopper
3rd Gear
Apparently there is not really a TSB. :-( I have not had a chance to do much testing, but have tried taping the front half of the front sunroof. No change observed. My money is on the trim covering the windshield pillars. There is quite a gap between it and the windshield.

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:17 PM
matty125
5th Gear
have fun with all that. "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink." I dont know what u think you are taping, that wont have any effect, research the posts on this thread. The answer is rt here. These are my videos. I can tell with 99.9% accuracy where it comes from, or you can read this forum. dude its your windshield!!!! PUSH BEHIND THE REAR VIEW MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. Ill take cash payment now. thankyou

Quick Reply: Wind Noise at anything over 75mph!