Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Wind Noise at anything over 75mph!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 PM
VictoryDaveAZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Noise at anything over 75mph!

Anyone else have this problem? There is a wind noise that is very bad anything over 75mph and stays consistant all the way into triple digits. I thought it was the wipers so, adjusted them lower on the windshield. This did nothing to help. Also, adjusted the vents from the feet to the windshield and the noise does not change. Anyone else having this problem? Any fix for this? Going in next week for a problem with the passenger airbag sensors. So, will take it up with the dealer.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't noticed a wind noise problem at 75+. I've accidentally found myself going too fast because it was so smooth.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:03 AM
abuzavi
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I asked the same question (here). Got some answers. Worth your time to read about how people are playing with tape to mitigate the "howling" as I call it.

I've found that, with my autobahn driving, the noise can start as low as 70 or 80 mph, but pretty much it's guaranteed when zipping along between 100 and 110.

The odd thing I found was that when I pushed it up to about 130+, 140ish, it was as if I had broken the sound barrier -- the howling stopped. Not that in AZ you'd like get the chance to hit 140, even on a good track day. It just says something about the design issue involved.

Get some masking tape and play.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:13 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
What type of noise? Howling, whistling or just high velocity wind noise? If it's the latter, welcome to MINI. These cars aren't sound proofed like an S class Mercedes.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 AM
VictoryDaveAZ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
What type of noise? Howling, whistling or just high velocity wind noise? If it's the latter, welcome to MINI. These cars aren't sound proofed like an S class Mercedes.
My 06S did this but only when above 95. And it could be regulated and eliminated by readjusting the vents from out the front to the windshield or floor. On my 07 nothing seems to modulate it. My wife calls it my slow down signal. I understand that these cars are not sound proof but, this high pitched wind whistle at only 75 is a real pain. Most the roads out west have 75 speed limits.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Mine does this, but only when the windows haven't sealed up again after closing the doors. Otherwise it's pretty darn quiet. You probably would have noticed that already but I figured it was worth a mention.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
MiniSkim
1st Gear
I also have a wind noise. Its clearly coming from the sunroof as though its not fully closed and sealed. No water has come in, which is good, but I never had such a noisy sunroof in any of my cars. By the way, the noise starts at a lower speed than 75 for me.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSkim
I also have a wind noise. Its clearly coming from the sunroof as though its not fully closed and sealed. No water has come in, which is good, but I never had such a noisy sunroof in any of my cars. By the way, the noise starts at a lower speed than 75 for me.
your's could simply need adjusting. The is a bulletin on it that the dealers have. They can fix it.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 AM
sdv515
4th Gear
i dont get too much wind noise but i do get a shrill high pitch noise coming from the front. it happens at any speeds and stops for a little bit when i tap the brakes

Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 PM
VictoryDaveAZ
2nd Gear
Great news. The dealer was able to re-create the wind noise at about 60 with a cross wind on the interstate. Their comment was, "wow what an excessive and loud noise, you were not kidding". I told them it sounded like a freight train coming through the cab. They found a leak on the upper part of the windshield. They called in a windshield company and were able to reseal the window without removing it.
Now if they can figure out the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. It keeps coming on when my wife is setting in the seat.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I've got the same noise.. although it sounds like it's coming from the upper passenger side front of the sunroof. I do know there are Puma cases for early builds that need sunroof adjustments. Mine is going in Tues eve for the wind roar and my 3rd to 2nd gear issue (again for the 3rd time).

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
the sunroof can easily be adjusted to seal better against the rubber weather seal. you could do it yourself or take it to the dealer. good luck!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
the sunroof can easily be adjusted to seal better against the rubber weather seal. you could do it yourself or take it to the dealer. good luck!
And how do you adjust it forward? Do you have any instructions on how to adjust it yourself?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by krut
And how do you adjust it forward? Do you have any instructions on how to adjust it yourself?
Really very easy adjustment. You will need a torx bit to do it. I don't know what size, because I have a set of torx bits that mate with a 1/4" ratchet, and I just keep trying one till I find one that fits.

There are 3 torx screws on each side of the sunroof. The screws are horizontal, at the glass edge, interior sides. Loosen the 3 screws, and push the glass forward, pushing on the black plastic bar at the front of the sunroof. Tighten the screws, and road test.

Mine was making a lot of noise on the right side. Did the adjustment, and it is almost totally silent now.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
chopperace
2nd Gear
I get a high pitched wind noise sound, but I don't have a sunroof. I hear it on both the the driver and passenger side.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM
maximoose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by VictoryDaveAZ
Now if they can figure out the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. It keeps coming on when my wife is setting in the seat.
The problem happens when my wife sits on the passenger seat as well. Its not really a problem, more like a seat adjustment. You need to raise the seat up till her the back of her thighs are firmly pressing against the end of the seat. My wife is 104lbs and it goes off constantly.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 PM
ahalibut
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by maximoose
The problem happens when my wife sits on the passenger seat as well. Its not really a problem, more like a seat adjustment. You need to raise the seat up till her the back of her thighs are firmly pressing against the end of the seat. My wife is 104lbs and it goes off constantly.
The fun and easy solution is Ben & Jerry's.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:52 AM
minipete07
3rd Gear
I have a horribly loud high pitched wind noise that sounds like its from my driver side i thought it was the wipers but i guess not.. it's only when i'm going 90 mph+....any ideas...?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
investigator
4th Gear
I've got the same problem with no sunroof, minipete07. One of the possible answers was above re a leak in the windshield sealing. But I live in Florida and have been thru some pretty heavy downpours and there is no liquid leak. So I'm thinking, if no liquid is leaking no air should be leaking and making noise.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
I've got the same high pitched whistle at freeway speeds. I'm sure its not the sunroof as I have just slightly opened it when driving along and the whistle doesn't change. I've also had the front windscreen replaced, and still the noise persists. I'd love to know if anyone manges to track it down.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have the same noise. I really think it's the wiper blade. If I press the driver's side wiper blade down it seems to go away. I can't reliably reproduce it unless there is a strong headwind.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 AM
investigator
4th Gear
I had the bonnet up yesterday and accidentally hit the heat shield on the turbocharger. It made a bit of a rattle and when I slapped it a little harder it made more of a rattle. Methinks this could be the unidentified buzz at highway speeds.

Last edited by investigator; 11-12-2007 at 05:06 AM. Reason: To correct spelling
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the same wind noise. It started at about ## MPH. I told the dealer about it and they said they could not have the mechanic drive it over the speed limit to check. I checked the 07 MCS (JCW) they gave me that day and no noise (took it to ### MPH). I went over every inch of my car that weekend and checked every piece of trim, molding, etc... On the next drive no noise, YIPEE!!!!

Last edited by scottab36; 11-18-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 AM
itburns
2nd Gear
Here's a video of the windshield seal noise. If you have a bad seal, you do not have to be going triple digits, just fast with a cross wind.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=18388730

Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
I had the same wind noise. It started at about 80 MPH. I told the dealer about it and they said they could not have the mechanic drive it over the speed limit to check. I checked the 07 MCS (JCW) they gave me that day and no noise (took it to 115 MPH).
Glad you resolved your wind noise problem - if you could please ensure that you are not discussing your excessive speed issues on NAM - as it does violate NAM's rule #5 which I quoth from the guidelines:

#5 LEGAL - Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise at anything over 75mph!