Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First 10k oil change: read carefully what is not covered.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 10:47 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my first 10k oil change today. I guess I should have read my Service and Warranty Manual more carefully. Here's what the service advisor told me:

1. First 10k mile oil and microfilter change is free. Any other service is extra. No tire rotation even though brakes are inspected. In fact, nowhere in the Manual does BMW state they will rotate your tires for free. (Tire Rack recommends a tire rotation every 5k miles)

2. Inspection I: 25k miles (see your manual for items covered) For those of you who have no faith in synthetic grade oils to last 10k long between oil changes this is no consolation. This next oil change has a 15k mile interval.

3. Oil filter change 40k miles. Another 15k mile oil change interval

4. Inspection II: at 55k miles (see your manual for items covered) At last, they change the air filter element, at 55k miles!!! Incredible. Is someone going to tell me that BMW/MINI's "engineered" air filter element is good for 55k miles when in the good old days we used to change air filters every year or 10k miles, whichever came first? And this is no reuseable, oil-impregnated air filter either, like K&N and other OEM air filters.

I believe that the long mileage interval between air filter changes, and the lack of a free tire rotation at EACH of the above four stages is a big shortcoming of BMW's service warranty.

When you respond to BMW in another customer satisfaction survey be sure to
remember these shortcomings.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
One way to get free tire rotation every 5000 miles is:
If you are a costco member just take your car in to the costco garage area and as a member you can get tires rotated.
Balancing is extra and they will do only the front tires. Also if you get aftermarket wheels and tires you can get them mounted and balanced at Costco for not too much and then they will do rotations and free balancing for the life of the tires.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Ok, so is it just an oil change? I understood that they replaced the windshield wipers and did a general inspection as well. (besides just the brakes). I can understand the tires because 1. some people disagree with rotating because if you rotate your tires and have a problem then you can't tell what the problem is as easily. and 2. the tires wear faster (well the front ones will wear faster than the rears) and then you go to MINI/BMW and they say "You need new tires" and you have to pay more money where if you rotate them you would get more wear out of them.

For your filter, it's easy enough to change yourself and I'd recommend getting a K&N filter. It'll last the life of your car and will give you a slight increase in HP. (I'm not talking about the intake just the filter. Though if you want more performance go for the intake but if you don't care that much and/or are worried about your warantee, just go for the filter and make sure they don't change it)

Anyone know exactly what MINI/BMW does? I would hope it's more than just a brake inspection, oil change and occasional air filter change.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 AM
ToeKneeC67
3rd Gear
I'm about to hit 3,000 miles today.

BUT when I got my MC they impressed me by saying "all you have to do is replace your tires, everything else is covered for 3 years/36000 miles."

We will see. But I swear next time I'm quoting them and then have them sign paper work on it. I can assume I'm be upset on something, car salesman as a stereotype are still just as shaddy as when the first Model T was sold. Put it this way, I'll be upset but not shocked.

Old 06-06-2003, 04:07 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>I'm about to hit 3,000 miles today.
>>
>>BUT when I got my MC they impressed me by saying "all you have to do is replace your tires, everything else is covered for 3 years/36000 miles."
>>
>>We will see. But I swear next time I'm quoting them and then have them sign paper work on it. I can assume I'm be upset on something, car salesman as a stereotype are still just as shaddy as when the first Model T was sold. Put it this way, I'll be upset but not shocked.
_____________________--
Better read your Service and Warranty Information booklet carefully or you'll be in for surprises. Minihune, I've bought tires from Costco for the other family car and yes I've had free tire rotation and balance for the life of those tires purchased at Costco. Unfortunately, when it comes time for me to replace my Dunlop run flats, i'll have to get them somewhere else because (1) Costco does not stock run flats and (2) I do not believe they do have the tools to change run flats on my MINI.

Don't think for a moment that all those Oil changes, Inspection I and II are free because BMW already factored those costs into the MINI when you bought it.

I don't have a problem in rotating the tires myself or paying a shop to do it for $15 (in spite of scare talk like camber and wear differences between the front ande rear tires) or changing my own air filter element, a five minute and $15 job. Just the principal behind what I think is meaningful servicing which is more than offset by BMW's wasteful mailing of all those silly booklets which, after having read once, found it's way into the round file.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:47 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
can you explain to me what happens in a tire rotation? Which tires go where on a front wheel drive car? On my moms AWD audi they go LB-RF and RB-LF.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
>>can you explain to me what happens in a tire rotation? Which tires go where on a front wheel drive car? On my moms AWD audi they go LB-RF and RB-LF.

You just move front to rear! Do not switch left to right!! These tires are designed to rotate only one way!!!

RF to RR and LF to LR ONLY!!

Old 06-07-2003, 05:53 AM
VAmini
3rd Gear
I can attest that tire rotation is not covered at the 10K oil service. Actually, my service advisor suggested I have it done at my recent serice, which I did, and then I payed about $40 for it.

Things that were done under warranty at my service:
oil and filter were changed
all fluids were topped off
brake pad thickness was checked

And that's all!

Old 06-07-2003, 10:17 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>I can attest that tire rotation is not covered at the 10K oil service. Actually, my service advisor suggested I have it done at my recent serice, which I did, and then I payed about $40 for it.
>>
>>Things that were done under warranty at my service:
>> oil and filter were changed
>> all fluids were topped off
>> brake pad thickness was checked
>>
>>And that's all!

Do you know if they checked the brake pads without removing the tires? Just curious.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:24 AM
VAmini
3rd Gear
^^
Sorry, I couldn't say for sure if that was done with tires in place or not...

Old 06-08-2003, 08:50 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
BMW/MINI/Mercedes all have this "included maintenance" feature when they sell cars and advertisements. This has been my experience with both 2000 323i BMW, and a 2000 E320 Mercedes: oil and filter is changed, but only when the "service" light is indicating this. The windshield wiper is replaced. Tire rotation and alignment, out of my pocket for both cars. Brakes, BMW: rotors and pads replaced at 25k miles, all out of my pocket. MB: front brake pads replaced, my pocket again. The brake fluild replacement is done at no charge at 2 years. If you don't drive a lot of miles per year, you can usually get your oil and filter changed at one year under the maintenance agreement. Since the MINI warranty is 4 years, and the maintenance agreement is 3 years, you are somewhat under the mercy of your dealer between the 3rd and 4th year and here's why: BMW hit me with the inspection charge, oil and filter change for nearly $400! If you don't do the inspection, you are violating your warranty, and you run the risk of an undetected warranty issue. BMW has since gone to 4 year maintanance and Mercedes was 4 years from the get go. I still am wondering if brake work if covered under the maintenance agreement. I have friends that swear that it is. I really doubt that after several track days the MINI would replace my brake pads for free. Does anyone have direct experience if the brakes are covered?

BTW: The inspection is less than a 2 hour job for sure. Sorry for the rant.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:49 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
As long as you can document that you performed the maintenance as specified in the warranty dealers specifically can not disclaim their warranty responsibility. If I understand you correctly you're saying BMW required a dealer-performed oil change?

No matter, I've already done two oil changes on my MINI. Both were fast and painless--20 minutes max--which is less than the time to drive to the dealer. One way.

Jeff

Old 06-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
Consider this "free maintenance" from the manufacturers point of view. They are incented to keep the car running during the warranty period and no longer. In light of this, I'd change the oil more often and replace that air filter at a reasonable mileage.
Buy a torque wrench and rotate your own tires, the tire companies usually over torque your lug nuts anyway, which can lead to brake rotor problems.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:13 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>As long as you can document that you performed the maintenance as specified in the warranty dealers specifically can not disclaim their warranty responsibility. If I understand you correctly you're saying BMW required a dealer-performed oil change?
>>
>>No matter, I've already done two oil changes on my MINI. Both were fast and painless--20 minutes max--which is less than the time to drive to the dealer. One way.
>>
>>Jeff
>>
Actually what I was trying to point out is getting the inspection done by BMW, which is very expensive for what you get when the included maintenance ends. Oil changes are not required to be by a BMW dealer as long as you have documented when this occur and if a BMW approved oil was used. Also, the maintenance agreement clearly states "scheduled maintenance", not wear items like tires, brakes, belts, etc.. The advertising is mis-leading in my opinion because it infers that you only need to pay for gas.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:20 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Also, the maintenance agreement clearly states "scheduled maintenance", not wear items like tires, brakes, belts, etc..

Actually if excessive wear is seen, it gets replaced. See the manual for the items covered under the excessive wear clause.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:04 PM
RonR
4th Gear
Greetings!

Changed the oil and filter at 3,400 miles in my MCS using Mobil 1. It just goes against my grain to go 10K without a change. My oil was dirty and in my opinion needed changing.
I feel like I would be mistreating my car if I went 10K without an oil change :smile: !!

Old 06-23-2003, 09:30 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
Originally posted by zgokart:

>>Do you know if they checked the brake pads without removing the tires? Just curious.

zgokart: The dealer will not rotate your tires for free. I can also attest this fact. I had to pay to get mine rotated. As far as checking the thickness of your brake pads, they do it by visual inspection only. Whatever that means, but I don't think they remove the tire to check them.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:33 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Originally posted by zgokart:
>>
>>>>Do you know if they checked the brake pads without removing the tires? Just curious.
>>
>>
>>zgokart: The dealer will not rotate your tires for free. I can also attest this fact. I had to pay to get mine rotated. As far as checking the thickness of your brake pads, they do it by visual inspection only. Whatever that means, but I don't think they remove the tire to check them.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:47 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
zgokart:

Sorry I missed you at the last MINI meet!
I've been around, a little busy, but I hope we can meet next time. Take care!

Juan

Old 06-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
the 10K 25K service intervals are not accurate. My 1st down to "0" inspection occured at 12500 miles (25%) > than 10K..and when I picked up my car, when I turned the key on, it read 15600 miles!!! to next service.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:06 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>the 10K 25K service intervals are not accurate. My 1st down to "0" inspection occured at 12500 miles (25%) > than 10K..and when I picked up my car, when I turned the key on, it read 15600 miles!!! to next service.

It adjust the timeframe depending upon the driving conditions you put the car thru.