Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Does your car weep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 PM
RhinoBob
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Niziex
Is this where everyone else is leaking?

http://www.imgshost.com/uploads/cf8fe7cd43.jpg
Well, after the initial leak from the driver's side spray nozzle, yes, I have noticed this, too. Other than your car color, it's identical.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Niziex
Is this where everyone else is leaking?

http://www.imgshost.com/uploads/cf8fe7cd43.jpg
No; this splooge comes from a weep-hole on the underside of the bonnet. Pop the bonnet and lift it up all the way. Look toward the back at the edge and you'll see the weephole. Get a q-tip and some denatured alcohol and dig the earwax crap out of there.
The wheel arch is basically ruined by the splooge and you have to either convince your dealer to get you a new one or try the various products that bring it back to life.
Black Wow, & Forever Black do the best jobs. Back to Black is cheaper but you'll have to put it on often.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Try Protect-All by Champions Choice. You can usually find it in RV/Boat centers or Walmart by the RV stuff.
It's got a mild solvent that was initially designed to get black marks off fiberglass. It's great for paint; I've been using it on my cars and motorcycles for years. It's all you really need actually.
http://www.protectall.com/
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:23 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Just noticed mine does the same thing. I've only had my car for 3 days, but I remembered this post and realized that was what was going on.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
No; this splooge comes from a weep-hole on the underside of the bonnet. Pop the bonnet and lift it up all the way. Look toward the back at the edge and you'll see the weephole. Get a q-tip and some denatured alcohol and dig the earwax crap out of there.
The wheel arch is basically ruined by the splooge and you have to either convince your dealer to get you a new one or try the various products that bring it back to life.
Black Wow, & Forever Black do the best jobs. Back to Black is cheaper but you'll have to put it on often.
Thanks for the tip I got the splooge out. I've been working on the little splooge streak, and it's 98% gone. It took washing, repeated applications of Ein Zett plastic/vinyl cleaner, Nero, some I forgot the name Sonus, Mequiars's Vinyl Cleaner, and Back to Black. I'm thinking Black Wow, when it's available, might do the final push. As a result of the splooge incident, Tawanda's spats look mighty spiffy.

My brother said make the dealer replace the trim. Too much hassle at the time.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Blue Skies 05
My brother said make the dealer replace the trim. Too much hassle at the time.
The manager at Global Imports called me last night to see how I like the new car. I mentioned the splooge stains (the PDI monkeys at the dealership tried to remove the splooge with steel wool) and he said he'd order me new wheel arches.
I have to go by the dealer later again...

Last edited by Arnbut; 08-13-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
Mine is leaking from the same place. have been told to try peanut butter and a toothbrush

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
" I look at my trim and I see it needs cleaning,
while my lil car gently weeps"

Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM
DancesWithTraffic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by umberto

Wowo that explains why I have splooge @ the rear wiper and an inordiante amount of fluid gone. Go figure.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Maybe there is something to the cosmoline argument.

As I posted, I have never actually seen my washer jet leak. I just come back and find the dried trail. And the way it looks, I suppose it COULD be seeping out the space between the washer jet and the hood instead of coming out the nozzles.

Yesterday I drove through an absolute deluge for 20 minutes. The hardest rain I have ever driven through, especially for that long.

I washed it before work today and then parked it in the sun all day. 97 degrees.

When I went out after work, no trail. I drove it home and parked it in the garage and came back a few hours later and still no trail!

Maybe that wicked rainstorm washed away the last of the cosmoline? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Konquest
2nd Gear
any tips for getting cosmolene off the paint?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
It power washes right off for me. I have a couple coats of Turtle Wax Ice on it, maybe that helps.

Sometimes there is a little trace of a trail left and a spray detailer takes care of it.

I don't have bonnet stripes, people here have been saying it is very hard to remove from the stripes.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 AM
MrB
2nd Gear
me too... i have replaced both new jet but still leaking once awhile

Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Konquest
any tips for getting cosmolene off the paint?

Me too I notice having the same sympton.....I thinking of using cleaner wax to remove but not sure. Any advice from anyone.

Thnaks in advance.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
I looked up cosmoline on wikipedia today and I see it has a melting point of 113-125 F.

According to the research with the infrared thermometer elsewhere in this thread, the hood is easily that hot, but might not be if the car is moving and the fan is running.

I'm liking this theory better all the time.

I think if I get another trail, I will investigate it more carefully and see if it is greasy like petroleum jelly.

I also found a pdf on removing cosmoline from firearms. It suggests very hot (actually boiling) water as the best method and recommends boiling small parts.

It also suggests a steam cleaner.

But this quote on getting cosmoline out of the wood stock is what really caught my eye. It sounds EXACTLY like what happens around the washer jets.

"On the wood there will most likely still be excess oil inside of the wood of the stock. If you place the stock in the sun over a period of a couple sunny days while wiping off the seeping oil every 15 to 30 minutes you should be just fine."

Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kasey
I looked up cosmoline on wikipedia today and I see it has a melting point of 113-125 F.

According to the research with the infrared thermometer elsewhere in this thread, the hood is easily that hot, but might not be if the car is moving and the fan is running.

I'm liking this theory better all the time.

I think if I get another trail, I will investigate it more carefully and see if it is greasy like petroleum jelly.

I also found a pdf on removing cosmoline from firearms. It suggests very hot (actually boiling) water as the best method and recommends boiling small parts.

It also suggests a steam cleaner.

But this quote on getting cosmoline out of the wood stock is what really caught my eye. It sounds EXACTLY like what happens around the washer jets.

"On the wood there will most likely still be excess oil inside of the wood of the stock. If you place the stock in the sun over a period of a couple sunny days while wiping off the seeping oil every 15 to 30 minutes you should be just fine."

I am wondering if this should a Warranty Issue where our MINI dealer should perform the cleaning rather than us. I am scared it might damage the paint.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Nether cosmoline nor hot water should damage the paint, I would think. The purpose of the cosmoline is to protect it during the ship ride over and hot water shouldn't be a big deal. I might stay away from boiling water, just because I might burn myself.

Originally Posted by ejkd
I am wondering if this should a Warranty Issue where our MINI dealer should perform the cleaning rather than us. I am scared it might damage the paint.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kasey
Nether cosmoline nor hot water should damage the paint, I would think. The purpose of the cosmoline is to protect it during the ship ride over and hot water shouldn't be a big deal. I might stay away from boiling water, just because I might burn myself.

hmmmmnnnn....okey I'll try. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Need
4th Gear
So anyone tried ProtectAll to see if it removes the cosmoline? I cannot get it off my stripes. I thought it was just washer fluid but nothing seems to remove it. I do have a fabric steamer.....

Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
The Protect-All has worked everywhere for me but the wheel arches... ...the dealer damaged them by using steel wool.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
ahalibut
3rd Gear
Yup, I'm getting goo out of the sides of my xenons, out of the washer nozzles, front and back, and from the line of the bonnet itself.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
flav
5th Gear
mine wept the first few weeks i had the car, but it has since gone away. BTW i have since filled the fluid to the top and still no weeping.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by umberto
I lift up my hood and see the cosmolene there seeping,
Still my new car gently weeps.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Need
4th Gear
The Protect-All has worked everywhere for me but the wheel arches... ...the dealer damaged them by using steel wool.
Okay, the Protect-All didn't work on the strips. The water spots or cosmoline spots or whatever it is, won't fade. I tried vinegar and lime remover, and they have no effect. The good news is that the nozzles don't seem to weep anymore. It only happened on the day I drove my car back from the dealer. Now I just need to find something to remove the stupid spots.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Need ---- try a boat supply store; they might have something that works wonders on the plastic of the stripes.
Short of that, once plasics are damaged, they're damaged...
New stripes?

Quick Reply: Does your car weep?