Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Does your car weep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine seems to have stopped weeping completely. Even the back wiper, which was weeping profusely for a while there. The stuff coming out of my wipers didn't stain my stripes either. Guess I should count myself lucky.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Yeah I noticed today mine are doing it as well. Both left and right washer nozzles!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
add me to the list, mine leaks all over the hood

I'm giving it another 2 weeks, if it's still leaking I'll start doing the warantee run around

makes me wish I bought used

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
minimk3
3rd Gear
here's link to another discussion.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=102529

Originally Posted by minimk3
is this how it looks?

i used goo-gone and paper towel to remove the cosmoline. It came off easily.

the result...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
that's a different issue, the windshield washer nozzels are leaking wiper fluid, not cosmoline

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
that's a different issue, the windshield washer nozzels are leaking wiper fluid, not cosmoline
Not so. Read the entire thread, and you would see that people are not exactly sure WHAT is leaking, just that something IS leaking. Could be cosmoline, could be washer fluid.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Not so. Read the entire thread, and you would see that people are not exactly sure WHAT is leaking, just that something IS leaking. Could be cosmoline, could be washer fluid.
ohh

well I guess I should start another thread, mine is only leaking washer fluid

if anyone cant tell the difference between cosmoline and washer fluid, well, they need help

Last edited by MrBlah; 08-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
ohh
if anyone cant tell the difference between cosmoline and washer fluid, well, they need help
I need help!

Seriously, I thought mine were leaking washer fluid, but I never saw any dripping out, I just found these little dry trails down the hood. Only happened while the car was parked.

It stopped after I drove for 20 minutes through a torrential rainstorm, so now I'm thinking it was cosmoline trapped between the jet fixture and the hood and the storm washed it away.

I'm not questioning yours is something different, just pointing out I couldn't tell the difference. And I'm glad it stopped.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
water spots wipe off, that's what I get on my hood from the washer nozzels lal the way down, I suspect the water boils or expands in the washer lines, and has no where to go but out

cosmoline is like tar, it's sticky gooey crap, mine leaks it aorund the wheel wheels and down the front of the bumper, it's hard to wipe off

Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that there's two separate but connected conditions.
My yellow car used to run very hot. Hot enough that the fluid would heat up in the lines and squirt out ---- you could witness it coming out in a little stream.
My new green car doesn't do that. And I've never actually seen fluid coming out of the jets, per se. But I do have trails from time to time. And they wipe off pretty easily, unlike cosomoline.

I use the windshield washer as little as possible now.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
water spots wipe off, that's what I get on my hood from the washer nozzels lal the way down, I suspect the water boils or expands in the washer lines, and has no where to go but out

cosmoline is like tar, it's sticky gooey crap, mine leaks it aorund the wheel wheels and down the front of the bumper, it's hard to wipe off
This is very interesting. The trails on my hood came right off with a spray detailer. This makes me think it was washer fluid and not cosmoline.

That would make the timing with the storm and the trails stopping coincidental.

I wonder why it stopped? Resevoir level? I haven't refilled it yet.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by Kasey
This is very interesting. The trails on my hood came right off with a spray detailer. This makes me think it was washer fluid and not cosmoline.

That would make the timing with the storm and the trails stopping coincidental.

I wonder why it stopped? Resevoir level? I haven't refilled it yet.
spray detailer, like wax remover? if so, that will instantly remove cosmoline, it wipes off like water after you hit it with a wax remover, when my car was being delivered they missed some, amanda my sales rep hit it with some of that wax remover and the stuff wiped right off, then they put on some spray wax back over what was removed

I was thinking it was the washer lines themselves, so once it leaks onto the hood it wont leak again until you use the washers, which "re primes" the lines

a simple fix would be to eliminate the check valve in the washer pump system, if that is possible, but if you do that, you'll have to hold the wash button a few seconds before washer fluid will come out, BUT, no streaks down the hood

Old 08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
nigillian
Neutral
I'm way late in this whole but my car definitely weeps washer fluid now and then. I know its washer fluid because I've already repalced teh factory stuff with green summer rain-x stuff, and when I wiped it off it was green.. before this is was deep blue I think. Not too worried about it.. hard enough to keep the damn wheels clean!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
spray detailer, like wax remover? if so, that will instantly remove cosmoline, it wipes off like water after you hit it with a wax remover, when my car was being delivered they missed some, amanda my sales rep hit it with some of that wax remover and the stuff wiped right off, then they put on some spray wax back over what was removed

I was thinking it was the washer lines themselves, so once it leaks onto the hood it wont leak again until you use the washers, which "re primes" the lines

a simple fix would be to eliminate the check valve in the washer pump system, if that is possible, but if you do that, you'll have to hold the wash button a few seconds before washer fluid will come out, BUT, no streaks down the hood
i think you nailed it right on the head! My car never wept in the last 4 months. but, yesterday I used the washer jets for the first time and what do you think happened shortly thereafter???? thats right you guessed it they wept.
There would be a couple of options to fix this:
1 move the washer fluid bottle
2 insulate the bottle and all the lines
3 remove the check valve

removing the check valve would be annoying because you would have to hold and prime the lines each time......but I would rather do that then clean the hood each time. I'm sure it would be the easiest fix aswell.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
greylight
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Xray'dit_Mini
yesterday I used the washer jets for the first time and what do you think happened shortly thereafter???? thats right you guessed it they wept.
Yeah, I'm wondering if the folks that had weeping, then stopped, just might not have used their sprayers in a while.

(So after reading this, they all go out, try their sprayers, come back and realize: "Now why did I do that?! It's gonna start leaking again!")

gl

Last edited by greylight; 08-22-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
crump500
2nd Gear
Zoey just back from service today with a leaky washer jet issue, they could not repair it on the spot and had to order a new washer jet. They are also going to install a check valve to keep the fluid from seeping up and out. It appears the jet was not sealed properly. So I am waiting on parts...

Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
Cosmoline versus Jif(peanut butter)

And the winner is ....... peanut butter
Looks like it will take a few treatments, and then wow or back to black, but yes peanut butter removes cosmoline from plastic trim

Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
korby
6th Gear
I was at Irvine Mini this week , its been pretty hot for a while and all the cars on the lot were dripping cosmoline all over the place .No way there going to sell those cars looking like that .

Old 08-24-2007, 03:15 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by crump500
Zoey just back from service today with a leaky washer jet issue, they could not repair it on the spot and had to order a new washer jet. They are also going to install a check valve to keep the fluid from seeping up and out. It appears the jet was not sealed properly. So I am waiting on parts...
please post if this fixes it

If It does I'll bring mine in for the same fix

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ex-Pat Brit
And the winner is ....... peanut butter
Looks like it will take a few treatments, and then wow or back to black, but yes peanut butter removes cosmoline from plastic trim

The dealer gives the cars a Kerosene bath to remove the Cosmoline......which may be a bit less messy

Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
aem421
4th Gear
Picked mine up on 8/31. No weaping yet. Does everyone have this check valve on theirs? It's right in the middle of the hood...

Old 09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Picked mine up on 8/31. No weaping yet. Does everyone have this check valve on theirs? It's right in the middle of the hood...
have you used the washers yet? It seems that it only happens for a day or two after I use them, and then nothing.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Yeah, I was wondering that too. I think I've used my washers twice in about 20 years . I hate those things. Maybe I'll have to use them to see if they really weap or not. I'll let you know.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just stopped using my washers too.
No more weeping.

And it only runs hot if I drive the car; if you don't drive it, there's no problem.
Duh.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM
alicecooper
2nd Gear
I wrapped my washer lines with Renyolds Alum wrap and drilled two 1\16" holes in the resevoir cap, to release the pressure from the heat build up in the resevoir. It has not wept since.

It previously left some small etch marks in my uncured clearcoat.

Quick Reply: Does your car weep?