Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Does your car weep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 AM
crump500
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more weeping, Zoey got a new washer jet and a check valve at the dealer. It appears to be the correct fix.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Candyman
Banned
I thought the check valve was the problem-- I think it keeps fluid at the jets which then has nowhere to go when the fluid expands. I took mine out and put a standard vacuum tee in place of it, hasn't wept yet and there's no noticeable delay when I activate the washers. FYI both lines leading to the washers were full when I pulled the check valve.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:22 AM
aem421
4th Gear
^^That would explain a lot. Mine is a week 31 production model and it hasn't wept at all. Maybe MINI figured that out by the time mine was made. I seem to have a lot of different stuff than the earlier models.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM
jw34
6th Gear
My MA said last night that the mixture in the washer fluid reservoir from the factory contained some sort of alcohol mixture which is what is staining cars when the washer weep. Has anyone else heard this? He told me I might want to empty the reservoir and put in regular washer fluid when I had a chance.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
I've got a weeper so I'm going to drain the tank and try with regular fluid. If that doesn't work I'll see what the fix is when I head back to the dealer to get my plates etc.
I don't notice any real staining (I think the fluid effected the wax not the clear coat) but I'm keeping an eye on it and will wash the hood regularly.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
PHX ATC
3rd Gear
3 days old and it weeps.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
VeryRedMCS
2nd Gear
I noticed that my new MCS had slobbered all over the hood right after getting it home from the dealer. :impatient

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
porkchop
2nd Gear
Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mister-TV-Lamp
I noticed that my new MCS had slobbered all over the hood right after getting it home from the dealer. :impatient
Mister-TV-Lamp -- If you just took delivery, you should take it back to the dealer, hand them the key, and tell them to give you a call when they have fixed the cause of the problem.

I'll apologize now for the following rant, but it has become my pet project .

If you have an '07 MCS manual transmission, it is quite likely that the engine and turbo are super heating the underside your bonnet. Touch the center bonnet area just above the scoop after you have run the car and parked it. Touch it right after you turn it off, then in 5 minutes, then in 10minutes. You won't be able to keep your hand on that spot.

My bonnet gets as hot as 235F (using an IR temp gun). With a temp probe stuck inside the scoop, yesterday I got an all time high temp of 278F .

The water in your washer reservoir boils at 212F. Mini has been aware of this problem since at least March and have yet to address it.

It is my opinion that all '07 MCSm owners that have the weeping jets and scorching hot bonnet issue should log a complaint with NHTSA, as this is a safety issue. Anyone touching that area of your bonnet could suffer a burn injury.

The ECU controls the cooling fan and turbo water pump. Mini could resolve multiple issues by making a simple ECU adjustment. Not enough owners have made enough noise. It's time to start making some noise. It appears the only way we might be able to get Mini's attention is by complaining to NHTSA.

8 months and Mini Inc hasn't stepped up and resolved this issue...Why??

Good luck. You're gonna love this car (really, it's a blast to drive).

Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Candyman
Banned
I took the check valve out (which keeps fluid at the jets by stopping it from draining back into the tank) and replaced it with a vacuum tee.

This gives the fluid a place to go when it gets hot, and it does not weep on the hood anymore as a result. Truly a 30cent fix for those who don't want to go back to the dealership.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman
I took the check valve out (which keeps fluid at the jets by stopping it from draining back into the tank) and replaced it with a vacuum tee.

This gives the fluid a place to go when it gets hot, and it does not weep on the hood anymore as a result. Truly a 30cent fix for those who don't want to go back to the dealership.
I'm not very mechanically inclined, any chance of a picture of the vacuum tee and where you put it?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you got the 'checkvalve' fix from the dealership and it did not fix the problem, so you swapped it out for a 'vacuum tee'? I also would like to see some pics.

I picked my my MCSa last week, and just noticed some tell-tale dried streaks on the hood. I'm also seeing some dribbling from the rear washer after opening & closing the back door.

Thanks,
Pasta

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I noticed this occurred once on a spirited drive through malibu canyon, The AC was fluctuating as well. that is the only time it happened. I drive an MCm not an MCSm. So maybe this is something for all R56 in regards to the weeping and hot engines, although obviously mine can't get as hot as the S. I also noticed the weekend previous that I had a strange odor of something burning in the engine compartment. After inspection it smelt like burning paper.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:03 PM
valthun
4th Gear
I just noticed this occurred again this week, so I have contacted my SA through their web service. I have received an email and they want me to drop it off by Monday. I am determining what the status of the service will be and if I can get a loaner if it will take more than one day. Since my roommate is also a co-worker I can live without the car for a day, but dropping off and picking up can be a pain.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
My week 37 build weeps and has stained my black stripes.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My week 39 MCS leeks.

I noticed it today, it got the car last week.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM
minibayb
1st Gear
Got mine 2 weeks ago this coming Saturday. Noticed that it was leaking when I got it home. It has also stained the bonnet stripes but did not stain the paint. How do you get the bonnet stripe staining off?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
How do you get the bonnet stripe staining off?
You don't, my dealership is going to replace them.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
minibayb
1st Gear
Well, that may be ok if I was closer to the dealer but the closest one is 4 hours away. Actually there is not one in the state (WV). So any solutions without dealer intervention.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My week 34 weeps from the left, but not the right. What is the vacuum tee fix? Where did you put the "tee" (at the "tee" connection btw left and right washer hoses or what)?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
So any solutions without dealer intervention?
Check this thread I started in the detailing forum.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=117548

Old 11-03-2007, 03:26 PM
valthun
4th Gear
I just got back from my dealer, the MA had never heard of the issue. However service looked at it, and they are ordering parts. They are going to call when the parts arrived.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 AM
minibayb
1st Gear
Well finally had the opportunity to try to get the bonnet stripe stains off today. Bought claybar and other supplies last night and felt at least armed and ready to do battle. Washed the car then started applying claybar to the stripes. (I bought the Ice liquid claybar) Could tell after the 1st application that it was improving and removing the stains. After several applications the passenger side stain was all but gone but the drivers side had one streak still visible. After several more applications the drivers side still visible but still improving. After another application I noticed that the stripe around the streak (which was still visible) was "browning" which indicated that I was rubbing through the black portion so that is where I quit. Streak still visible but with the added bonus of stripe discoloration from my vigorous efforts . I guess I call the dealer and see if they will replace the stripes. I hope they will send them to me and I can have them installed here as I am about 7 hours from the dealer.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Konquest
2nd Gear
stripes are covered by the warranty, the dealer will replace them for free if you take it in for service

Old 11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
valthun
4th Gear
My car is going back in on the 27th for the new parts. They are providing me with a loaner. I will probably have to wait until summer to determine if it did any good though. Since I need the extra outside heat. But since those with the MCS are noting it is fixed, i am hopeful.

Quick Reply: Does your car weep?