Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Does your car weep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Konquest
stripes are covered by the warranty, the dealer will replace them for free if you take it in for service
+1 Yes, they will. They are replacing mine, one is stained due to a weeping washer jet and I'd asked for the other one under warranty to keep them equally faded.

There is a service bulletin out on this but it was added to an R53 bulletin instead of having its own. If your SA cannot find it, have them look for it on a R53. They have new washer jets with check valves to stop them from weeping.

Last edited by SimpsonGI; 11-11-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone got some hard number of a service bullit or something can ask my dealer to look at as reference in the system. Canadian dealers for BMW can not access US MINI/BMW dealers the structure is different up here it seems. (or i have been told)

They have the car today and i showed him pictures and the bonnet stain.

I hope it works out.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
can there be anything done about damaged paint from the weeping jets? The immediate area around the jets have so much paint distortion it makes me cringe every time i look at it...

Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
anyone? Is there anyone else with damaged paint from the weepings jets? i just got the jets fixed today and will be going back thursday for an unrelated issue but i thought i might run this by you guys first.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM
LeviGarrett
2nd Gear
I was curious about the damaged paint from the jets as well. My jets don't actually leak, but I was concerned about the washer fluid mixture that the factory/ dealer uses. Will the mixture they use damage the paint if left on the car for a few days? Say after the rain has cleared and there is still water/ road grime that shoots up on the window and needs to be cleaned?
If this is the case, I was considering just emptying the fluid and replacing with regular water. By regular, I was thinking some kind of de-ionized or filtered water. What do you all think?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ghosthound
anyone? Is there anyone else with damaged paint from the weepings jets? i just got the jets fixed today and will be going back thursday for an unrelated issue but i thought i might run this by you guys first.
What did they do exactly to fix the jets? A check valve like has been mentioned? Do you have any service bulletin numbers for this fix by chance?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
that's a different issue, the windshield washer nozzels are leaking wiper fluid, not cosmoline
Um, my 05 S (8/04 build) is still oozing Cosmoline out its rear wiper assembly even after 23K. I also get "cosmooze" under my chrome trim, from under my MINI badges, and other tight places the VDC power wash couldnt eradicate. I use Klasse AIO to get it off, for best results. Dont forget these cars are so thoroughly covered with this stuff before they leave the port it's almost like they're dipped in it, and it gets into the smallest of places like nozzle jets. That, mixing with the w fluid, is what's staining yr paint; Ive been living with it 3+ years. Sucks yes but I and Klasse just deal with it

Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Need
Okay, the Protect-All didn't work on the strips. The water spots or cosmoline spots or whatever it is, won't fade. I tried vinegar and lime remover, and they have no effect. The good news is that the nozzles don't seem to weep anymore. It only happened on the day I drove my car back from the dealer. Now I just need to find something to remove the stupid spots.
Klasse All-In-One (AIO) will do the trick, even on plastic trim, just remember, if using AIO on stripes rub GENTLY. A dealer will NOT replace stripes under warranty due to operator f**kups or "environmental causes."

Last edited by sequence; 12-27-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
ahalibut
3rd Gear
I had mine in for service yesterday and the mechanic's "note" is thus:

"weeping is known issue for R55/R56 MINIs. no fix"

Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ahalibut

I had this fixed a month ago and it was a known issue at my dealer.

The check valve part number is 61-68-8-229-249. You need 2 for the front jets. I can take pictures if you want to see where they are installed. Pelican Parts sells the check valves.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
porkchop
2nd Gear
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
I also noticed the weekend previous that I had a strange odor of something burning in the engine compartment. After inspection it smelt like burning paper.
Both of my R56's made/make the burnt smell after a good run. It's much more noticeable at high altitude running and will make the smell during a casual drive if you're over 9000 feet.

It was really stinky here even though I was only going about 35 mph.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
danielo
4th Gear
I have a question.

Since the weeping jets is caused by the heated fluid in the windscreen washer water tank expanding due to the heat, and the increasd pressure is forcing the fluid thru the hoses and out the jets, won't the easy fix is to just:

1) Drill a breather hole at the top of the fluid tank

2) Not to tighten the cap of the fluid tank that tightso that air can still leak out

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danielo
I have a question.

Since the weeping jets is caused by the heated fluid in the windscreen washer water tank expanding due to the heat, and the increasd pressure is forcing the fluid thru the hoses and out the jets, won't the easy fix is to just:

2) Not to tighten the cap of the fluid tank that tightso that air can still leak out
I don't really understand why the check valve fix that Mini does solves the problem if it's just due to engine heat boiling fluid out of the lines. The check valve would have to be in the closed position all the time to keep hot fluid from boiling out. But the pump would have to put out enough pressure to overcome that valve just to operate the nozzles. It seems like boiling fluid would create a lot of pressure as well but maybe not enough I suppose.

With these valves in mine, there is no delay getting fluid to the jets when I hit the washer lever. They seem to operated exactly the same as before the valve was installed.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danielo
I have a question.

Why didn't I think of that! I am totally trying #2 this summer.
If it works I'll drill a breather hole in the top and glue a screen over it to keep the bugs/dirt out so the jets don't get clogged.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by grodenglaive
Why didn't I think of that! I am totally trying #2 this summer.
If it works I'll drill a breather hole in the top and glue a screen over it to keep the bugs/dirt out so the jets don't get clogged.

you can buy various sizes of generic pressure release caps at just about any auto parts store. I'm sure one of the sizes is bound to fit. leaving your cap loose is asking to lose it or for a huge mess when it falls off and fluid splashes everywhere.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ahalibut

The info was put on a service bulletin for the R53. My SA found it by happenstance. She was puzzled by why they put it where they did but it added the R56 info on the bottom of an R53 bulletin, I'm assuming for the same/similar problem.

There is a fix, they just need to look in the right spot for the info. If the weeping jet fluid has damaged stripes or paint, they should repair it for you under warranty. More than likely any stains on the paint can be buffed out using a number of detailing products but if the stripes are stained, they are much harder to get clean and will probably end up needing replacement.

Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
vudugrl
2nd Gear
Question from a newbie, does it sound like something is sizzling underneath the hood???

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
the tee-substitution worked for me

Originally Posted by Candyman
I thought the check valve was the problem-- I think it keeps fluid at the jets which then has nowhere to go when the fluid expands. I took mine out and put a standard vacuum tee in place of it, hasn't wept yet and there's no noticeable delay when I activate the washers. FYI both lines leading to the washers were full when I pulled the check valve.
My '07 MCS started weeping from both jets the first weeks I owned it ... I replaced the tee-shaped checkvalve at the center of the trailing edge of the bonnet with a nylon 3/16-inch vacuum tee (no tools needed) in one minute. It hasn't wept since, and the jets work just fine with the change.

Going back to the dealer to get my stripes replaced soon --

Last edited by basil49; 03-19-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Hey --- I almost forgot to report that my dealer put in the check valves and I've been weep-free for almost a week!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
kopov
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I had this fixed a month ago and it was a known issue at my dealer.

The check valve part number is 61-68-8-229-249. You need 2 for the front jets. I can take pictures if you want to see where they are installed. Pelican Parts sells the check valves.
Would you please take pictures of these valves? I still can't stop the weeping. When I call local dealers they don't know what I am talking about.
Thanks.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
anderezd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kopov
Would you please take pictures of these valves? I still can't stop the weeping. When I call local dealers they don't know what I am talking about.
Thanks.
How long have you had your car? Is it new? If it is, try flushing the lines completely. I took the advice from this forum and flushed out all the factory fluid just by using the washer functions on both the front and the back.

I had the weeping both in the front and the back. After I did that, been weep free for a couple months now.

I'm post 14 and 16 on that page. Let me know if you have any questions on how to do this...very simple and have liked the results

Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first got my Clubman I noticed a couple of drops by the washer jets, and I took a look at this thread. I couldn't believe that MINI washer fluid actually stains the car finish or stripes, but I immediately drained it all out and refilled with a 50/50 mix of the cheap (99-cent a gallon) blue stuff and distilled water.
My problem turned out to be a section of tubing that was being pinched by the tubing guides, so no dealer fix was needed. Still, why would washer fluid stain a car's finish? What's in that stuff? I thought it was just water, a little alcohol, a little detergent, and some coloring. What's in the MINI stuff that causes staining?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
When I first got my Clubman I noticed a couple of drops by the washer jets, and I took a look at this thread. I couldn't believe that MINI washer fluid actually stains the car finish or stripes, but I immediately drained it all out and refilled with a 50/50 mix of the cheap (99-cent a gallon) blue stuff and distilled water.
My problem turned out to be a section of tubing that was being pinched by the tubing guides, so no dealer fix was needed. Still, why would washer fluid stain a car's finish? What's in that stuff? I thought it was just water, a little alcohol, a little detergent, and some coloring. What's in the MINI stuff that causes staining?
Yeah, I had this same problem. After buying my car, I tested the front washers at home to make sure they were functional after driving the car around the block. After cleaning up the fluid I noticed later that day the the washers were weeping and it had stained my front hood. I was shocked. I was thinking that the fluid had become very hot from the engine compartment and it stained the top of the hood. I had to really work at the stain to get it to come out. Since then I have not used the window washers and am going to take the advice to drain the OEM fluid out and replace.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
What's the easy way to drain the fluid? Siphon out of the res? I imagine it has no drain plug.

Hmm, maybe a wet/dry vac.

Quick Reply: Does your car weep?