Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Does your car weep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Mityvac. You could also just get a long length of narrow gauge vinyl tubing, put one end in the reservoir, give a quick suck to start suction, and drain into any handy container. I say a long length so you can see it coming!

Last edited by miniclubman; 06-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd been wondering about these tracks of tears..but finally last night, we stood and watched the washer jets weep - big, fat tears came rolling out as the car was parked in my friend's driveway...

So bottom line - a check valve is needed? Mine is a brand new Cooper Clubman. I don't get it if this has been a known issue why didn't they fix it before production of the Clubman?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Otra, my Clubman S is also just a month or so old and I haven't yet had the "weeping washer jet" problem. I thought it already had the check valves. Here a pic. Isn't that a check valve in the line?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Looks like one - at least in comparison to the other's who've posted...

So perhaps mine is due to something like what miniclubman experienced?
Originally Posted by miniclubman
When I first got my Clubman I noticed a couple of drops by the washer jets, and I took a look at this thread...
My problem turned out to be a section of tubing that was being pinched by the tubing guides, so no dealer fix was needed. Still, why would washer fluid stain a car's finish? What's in that stuff? I thought it was just water, a little alcohol, a little detergent, and some coloring. What's in the MINI stuff that causes staining?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:25 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Otra,

I didn't understand your post. Do you have the same little thingy in the line as I do?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Oops, I had meant to include the fact that I haven't checked under my hood yet but will later on and let you know. I'm ***uming that I must, but you know what they say about assumptions.

Don't mean to sound like a whiner...but it does get old...as I've had a few other issues that haven't been dealt with at all or have yet to be fixed. I'm sure eventually it will come together...just never had anything wrong with my previous models. And honestly I am really and about the darn roof rack issue.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
All of mine also weep.
I suspect the high concentration of alcohol based washer fluid combined with the Texas heat causes it to "boil" out, overpowering the check valve's opening pressure.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, none on my two formers weeped and I live in the same place I did with them. It is definitely not normal.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
So... a good fix would be to just drain out the washer fluid that came from the factory? I'm not quite clear on this.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Otra
6th Gear
photo op

rich, yes, it appears I do have the same check valves, though mine are heated so they have wires attached. I had some trouble opening my hood/bonnet which seems to stick and not want to open all the way. Hoping that this is the way those w/heated washers look.

Last edited by Otra; 10-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
richs10
5th Gear
It is distinct possibility that I don't know what I am looking at, but the line attached to the bottom looks like an electrical line (prob for your heater) and the line attached to the right side (in the picture) of the nozzel looks like the water line. I do not see a check valve on your water line, like on mine.

Am I seeing that correctly?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Gee, maybe you're right? I assumed that this was the check valve but it looks as though it's going right into the washer? I wonder if anyone on here has the heated washers and what theirs looks like? Honestly, it doesn't look like a check valve does it.

Last edited by Otra; 10-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my gallery. Heated washer jet with the stop valve.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Otra, comparing your pic to that posted by MINIdrivr, I really don't think you have the check valves installed on your waterlines. I would definately have your dealer check this out. It might explain the weeping.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks Minidrivr, this doesn't look like mine at all. I appreciate this very much and will be sure to have this addressed. I may have to print out your photo to do it. And, Rich - thank you, too for taking the time to help me out by posting and questioning, too.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Thanks Minidrivr, this doesn't look like mine at all. I appreciate this very much and will be sure to have this addressed. I may have to print out your photo to do it. And, Rich - thank you, too for taking the time to help me out by posting and questioning, too.
Glad to help. Hope it works out.
Rich

Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
I spoke with another dealer about the washer nozzles weeping, since my local dealer couldn't find a service bulletin, even under the R53. The second dealer was also unable to find a service bulletin, but they could find the part number for the check valves, and ordered them. Since there is no service bulletin they can not repair them under warranty, but I was told that they could sell me the very inexpensive parts and I can perform the 'easy fix' myself. We'll see.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 AM
sailorboy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try drilling a tiny hole in the fill cap. This will release the pressure caused by the heated fluid in the washer tank.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Not this red capped thing?

Just want to be clear on this - Minidrivr and Rich - the check valve is not this little red capped thing I show here is it? It's over to the right and you can just see its top.. I believe yours are just a bit before the portion that goes up into the washer jet, yes?

Last edited by Otra; 10-20-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 AM
richs10
5th Gear
I really don't know, but the item you are indicating looks more like a "T" with an electrical hookup. I think that has more to do with your heated fluid option. On both my car and on MINIdrivr's, I think the check valve is the "in line" thingy. Since MINIdrivr (who has heated washers)has the same in-line thingy that I do, I think that is the check valve.

Also, if you look at MINIdrivr's picture in the extreme right corner, you can see the same "T" you are talking about, in addition to the in-line valve. So I don't think the "T" is the check valve.

I would have the service department look at it.

These are some other threads that discuss the problem. Apparently the Service Bulletin for our cars is an Addendum to an R53 Service Bulletin, and is not listed under the R56 bulletins:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er+check+valve (see post #6 - Service Bulletin)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er+check+valve (see last 2 posts especially)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=weeping (very long thread - I didn't review it all)

If I were you, I would print these threads out and take them with me to the Service Department to prevent them from saying "GEE, YOUR THE FIRST PERSON TO EVER HAVE THIS PROBLEM" (Standard Service Advisor Excuse #14)

Good luck, Rich

Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
russr
5th Gear
I may be the only one to fall into this category, but a few months ago I had the check vales put in due to weeping. Things worked great for a few weeks, but then on a day when it got in the 90s, my driver's side nozzle check vale crapped out and leaked. So I took it back, they replaced the check valve and stained stripe all under warranty. Once again things were good for several weeks and now the same thing has happened again. Curiously, it's always the driver's side check valve that keeps failing.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks Rich..I'll check out those threads, as well. I'm assuming, if I dare, that all Clubman cars should have been built the same.

russr, I'm sorry to read this. Have to assume you've gone through several gallons of washer fluid by now so that the cosmoline excuse can't be involved anymore, right?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 AM
russr
5th Gear
Thanks Rich..I'll check out those threads, as well. I'm assuming, if I dare, that all Clubman cars should have been built the same.

russr, I'm sorry to read this. Have to assume you've gone through several gallons of washer fluid by now so that the cosmoline excuse can't be involved anymore, right?
Yeah, it's not cosmolene. I almost drained my first batch of the factory windshield stuff and when i had gone back to the dealer to get the check valve fixed, they filled it again with the factory crap.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just want to be clear on this - Minidrivr and Rich - the check valve is not this little red capped thing I show here is it? It's over to the right and you can just see its top.. I believe yours are just a bit before the portion that goes up into the washer jet, yes?
Nope, that's not the check valve, it's just a T fitting. The check valve is an inch or two from each the nozzle.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks Mini, that's what I thought but a friend with another Clubman, who apparently doesn't have them either, was inquiring. Appreciate your response!

Quick Reply: Does your car weep?