Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Creaking sound when turning at slow speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003 | 09:41 AM
greatgro
|
6th Gear
And no, it's not the electric motor for the power steering. I know what that sounds like. And this "creaking" just started recently but I think it's gotten worse. It makes the sound even if the car is turned off. It is a creaking-type of sound coming from under the bonnet - NOT the steering wheel or under the dash. Definitely seems to be coming from the suspension or axle area. It is very loud (I can hear it over the stereo) when I turn the wheel to the right. The sound is a bit different and quieter when I turn the wheel to the left. It happens when driving slowly and turning or turning the wheel - even a tiny bit - while the car isn't moving.

Anyone have a clue what this is? I guess I should have MINI check it out. But any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2003 | 01:08 PM
billyg
3rd Gear
i know exactly what you are talking about..so don't feel like you are the only one..
and no..sorry...i don't know what it could be :???:

Old 06-23-2003 | 01:55 PM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
I have this problem too, but I can't really hear it over the radio. I do feel it in the steering wheel. I'm taking mine in for service this next week and let you know what I find out.

Old 06-27-2003 | 08:27 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about your problem with your MINI. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI.

Old 06-27-2003 | 09:13 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>Anyone have a clue what this is? I guess I should have MINI check it out. But any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

greatgro I'm jealous! Not about your creak, which must be driving you crazy. But about MINI Division actually reading your complaint. Me, jsun, antsmini, dk23 and a whole plethora of other distinguished MCO contributors have written a gazillion posts over 5 or 6 threads about the freakin' stumble problem and no-one at MINI except the one guy I have by telephone is listening! If there is one problem with the MINI that could derail sales this is it. greatgro, I'm sorry to hijack your post in this way and I'll get off of here now but MINI has got a bunch of us, maybe you too, really pissed off about this. MINI ARE YOU STILL LISTENING? Sorry for the rant! TIA.

Old 06-27-2003 | 09:26 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>Anyone have a clue what this is? I guess I should have MINI check it out. But any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

OK, I think your problem might be the steering rack, check your fluid. What is its condition. It should be clear, any color but black is OK. Ball joints go "clunk" when loose so it's not that problem. I've had creaking on my sway bars and I injected lubricant in the bushings so it might be that.

Hope that helps! There really isn't much else that could cause this. CV joints rattle when worn but you'd need a bunch of miles to tear them up unless an axle boot was a victim of debris and the joint dried out. Would not happen while stationary though.

Old 06-27-2003 | 09:27 AM
jstines
4th Gear
McKinneymini,

MINIDivision (someone from there, maybe not the writer here) contacted me via telephone about the hiccup/stumble issue. They are acutely aware of the problem, and they are working diligently to find a solution.

I am as frustrated as you with the problem, but know that it is receiving the full attention of the engineering dept as well as the VP of Engineering.

See ya,
JS

Old 06-27-2003 | 09:57 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>McKinneymini,
>>
>>MINIDivision (someone from there, maybe not the writer here) contacted me via telephone about the hiccup/stumble issue. They are acutely aware of the problem, and they are working diligently to find a solution.
>>
>>I am as frustrated as you with the problem, but know that it is receiving the full attention of the engineering dept as well as the VP of Engineering.
>>
>>See ya,
>>JS

Thanks! Now back to the creaking problem, anyone else that can help greatgro?

Old 06-27-2003 | 10:12 AM
brgfan
4th Gear
I've had a couple of cars with a noise like this (not the MINI yet). I've always diagnosed it as squeaking rubber bushings or grommets on the struts. It usually goes away when I change struts, and sometimes comes back after a while. I think that, as the rubber wears and hardens, it starts to squeak against the metal.

If that *is* the problem, its mainly just annoying and shouldn't cause any real problems. You could lubricate or change the bushings, or change the struts, if its annoying enough.

Keep us posted on the final outcome.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2003 | 10:37 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
>>>>
>>If that *is* the problem, its mainly just annoying and shouldn't cause any real problems. You could lubricate or change the bushings, or change the struts, if its annoying enough.

If you change the bushings, get the aftermarket poly bushings from somewhere like MINI Madness. They will give you a tighter feel.

Graham

Old 07-28-2003 | 02:48 PM
C4
Banned
This problem is caused by bad upper steering column bearings. This is a VERY common problem in early build MINIs until just about March '03. The only cure for this issue is to have the dealer replace the steering column assembly with a new revised one issued by MINI and already in production.

Perform a search on the subject in MINI2.com for additional details.

Old 07-28-2003 | 02:54 PM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
>>greatgro I'm jealous! Not about your creak, which must be driving you crazy. But about MINI Division actually reading your complaint.

Hahaha ya they read it... but its always the same response most of the time... if u need more assistance please call us.

Old 11-10-2004 | 01:54 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Having operated BMW produced vehicles for the past decade, I always do a search first when I have a problem with my car. Time and time again, someone else has had the same problem......

Recently, when making turns at slow speed (pulling into a parking spot, 3-point turn, etc), my car makes a creaking noise. It is exactly as greatgro described in the original post. I know what the steering column noise is (I had the clunk), and this is different. It comes from under the bonnet, from the passenger side. I think I am experiencing the exact problem greatgro experienced. Also, my steering assist has greatly reduced. There is still power steering, but much less than before.

So to those who have had this problem, how did your dealer fix it? New steering rack? I have already had my steering colum replaced due to the column clunking noise, and this is totally different.

Old 11-10-2004 | 02:22 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
The dealer replaced my rack and pinion rack when it had clicking noises from the inside...bad thing is I still hear the clicking noises inside but now I have a new rack!

guess I'll wait until it's worse and then go back.:smile:

Old 11-10-2004 | 03:02 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by meanboy
The dealer replaced my rack and pinion rack when it had clicking noises from the inside...bad thing is I still hear the clicking noises inside but now I have a new rack!

guess I'll wait until it's worse and then go back.:smile:
Your dealer misdiagnosed the problem and replaced the wrong part. Do a search for "Steering column" and you'll find that your problem is related to the rotary coupler inside the upper steering column assembly and the bearings that have collapsed inside as well, causing the faint creaking noise every 1/4 turn in low speeds situations like parking. The noise can also be felt travelling up the steering column.

This happened to the wife's '02 Cooper CVT (This was a common problem in '02 and some '03 MINIs) and the dealer replaced the ENTIRE steering column assembly with a new revised part under warranty. Its been almost 2 years and the problem never returned.

Take it to a different dealer. The rack and pinion assembly should only be replaced in cases where power steering fluid is found to be leaking.

Old 09-16-2007 | 09:55 AM
dubsdj
1st Gear
I had the dreaded creaking from the dashboard... I just managed to get hold of some sticky rubber feet that come with new computers, I stuck a couple of them together and wedged them to the left and to the right of the circular thing near the center of the dash.... creaking gone..