Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

So the MINI wouldn't start on Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
subieworx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the MINI wouldn't start on Friday...

Strange problem. I go out to the parking lot after work, unlock the door with the keyless entry, put the key in the ignition, foot on clutch, press the button and nothing.....all I hear are three little clicks coming from the steering column. Try again, same thing. Try quite a few more times with no change. Take the key out put it back in, no change. Figuring something strange could be happening electrically I reset the battery by pulling the neg terminal. Try again, same result....three clicks. I figure something has to be up with the steering/steering column/keyless entry system, so I get my head really close to the wheel to see if I can hear the clicks better, press the start button and...it starts. When it did this I noticed the wheel turned to the right about an inch or so.

This got me thinking. With a normal key activated ignition, the steering wheel sometimes becomes locked and will not allow the key to be turned to the start position. Normally this problem is solved by wrestling with the steering wheel a bit to get it to unlock and allow the key to be turned. I believe this is what happened in this case as the wheels were not pointed straight ahead when I turned the car off, but because there is no key that cannot be turned indicating the wheel is locked you have no way to tell that is the problem.

Moral: if you find your car not starting and onyl hear three clicks coming from the steering column, give the wheel a tug in both directions and try again.

Tony

Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
My yellow car did the same thing one time. I think it has something to do with the electric steering wheel lock. Maybe if you get in the car hard/heavy it upsets the lock and the car thinks somebody's stealing it?
Just a guess...

Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Happened to me today. The attendant and then me put the key in, pressed the start button and only heard those clicks coming from underneath the steering wheel. Thought I was stuck in the bowels of Manhattan in a parking garage. I even called roadside to jump start or tow my car. None of the parking attendants were helpful.

I then noticed the "electric steering wheel locked" symbol on the tach display. If it was on the whole time, I never noticed it. I turned the steering wheel, and then the car started.

I felt stupid. I'm used to not being able to turn a key when the steering wheel locks. They should make the start button shock you or something equivalent when the steering wheel locks.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:10 AM
cob666
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a similar issue but I wasn't able to even get the key in if the steering wheel is locked and I'm on a hill (so there must be some preasure on the lock mechanism.) I've also had problems getting the key OUT when parked on said hill.

But now I know what the issue is and make sure I can jiggle the steering wheel a bit.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
GEP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Happened to me today. The attendant and then me put the key in, pressed the start button and only heard those clicks coming from underneath the steering wheel. Thought I was stuck in the bowels of Manhattan in a parking garage. I even called roadside to jump start or tow my car. None of the parking attendants were helpful.

I then noticed the "electric steering wheel locked" symbol on the tach display. If it was on the whole time, I never noticed it. I turned the steering wheel, and then the car started.

I felt stupid. I'm used to not being able to turn a key when the steering wheel locks. They should make the start button shock you or something equivalent when the steering wheel locks.
Did you experience this in your R56? If so, what model and type of transmission?

Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 AM
GEP
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by subieworx
Strange problem. I go out to the parking lot after work, unlock the door with the keyless entry, put the key in the ignition, foot on clutch, press the button and nothing.....all I hear are three little clicks coming from the steering column. Try again, same thing. Try quite a few more times with no change. Take the key out put it back in, no change. Figuring something strange could be happening electrically I reset the battery by pulling the neg terminal. Try again, same result....three clicks. I figure something has to be up with the steering/steering column/keyless entry system, so I get my head really close to the wheel to see if I can hear the clicks better, press the start button and...it starts. When it did this I noticed the wheel turned to the right about an inch or so.

This got me thinking. With a normal key activated ignition, the steering wheel sometimes becomes locked and will not allow the key to be turned to the start position. Normally this problem is solved by wrestling with the steering wheel a bit to get it to unlock and allow the key to be turned. I believe this is what happened in this case as the wheels were not pointed straight ahead when I turned the car off, but because there is no key that cannot be turned indicating the wheel is locked you have no way to tell that is the problem.

Moral: if you find your car not starting and onyl hear three clicks coming from the steering column, give the wheel a tug in both directions and try again.

Tony
What year/model/transmission type for this problem?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GEP
What year/model/transmission type for this problem?

2007 R56 MC automatic. I wonder what the parking attendant did to activate the lock.