Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Water in Battery Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 AM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water in Battery Box

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I just purchased my first Mini (a used 2003 MCS). So far, I really love the car. However, the other day I noticed that there was some water in the battery box. My assumption is that this is from condensation forming in the box due to the proximity to the exhaust. Has anyone experienced this problem before? If so, is there a way to deal with it? I thought about perhaps some heat deflecting insulation on the outside of the box, but I am not sure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance![/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Water can enter the battery box from a leak at the rear windows or hatch as well. Condensation is generally not a problem, in fact, the heat from the exhaust pipes surrounding the box will work towards drying out small amounts of water that might find it's way into the box. If memory serves, some people have had issues with water leaking in from poorly sealed rear glass. The tail light gasket is a potential leak area as well. Also, if the car had experienced any sort of crash damage and subsequent repair, even if it's relatively minor, body seam seals inside the rear quarter panels can seep and the water eventually fonds the lowest point in the battery box.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 AM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks a lot. I thought about the leakage issue. We have had quite a bit of rain here lately, but the first time I noticed it was after an extended dry period. This is why I asked about the condensation possibility. I will keep an eye on it and see if the problem persists. I appreciate the reply.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guarantee it will dry out quickly if you don't keep adding water. Last week I turned over two large coffee cups in the boot while driving (don't ask). Since I had treated the boot carpet and the cocomat on top with 303, it didn't soak in much, just ran to the sides and back and then to the metal boot and then into the bat box.

I sucked everything dry with a shop vac very easily. After a couple of days it still smelled of coffee which I didn't want, so I poured about 16 oz of water down into the bat box and sucked that out. After one short drive, it was all dry under the battery (of course I pulled the boot carpet up and bungied it up for a couple of days so air could get down there, but the heat and airflow did the trick.

One thing you could do is to put a light dusting of flour all around the boot deck window seal. Then either wait for a rain or use your garden hose. If it leaks, it will wash a nice clean line in the flour. Now you will know where it is coming from.

YD

Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 AM
adele
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 Mini S with sunroof is currently in the shop. I had 28,300 miles on the original battery and was attempting to replace the battery when a significant amount of water was discovered in the battery box. My car has been in the shop for one week so far. We will find the cause. It is a rather expensive fix. My cables from the trunk to the front bay need to be replaced, the fuse box in the boot needs to also be replaced. Plus the rust needs to be neutralized. Look at the NAM March '09 posts concerning this matter.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Why are you posting the exact same thing in all these threads??????

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM
barrcra
Neutral
Any luck fixing the leak? 2006 Mini S 36K. Took to the dealer new third brake light, new grip strip, new wiper motor, new rear glass and seals, new carpet, new Battery, new cables and fuse box. $3500 dollars later still leaks. Help!!!!!

PS
Did not neutralize rust but left the mess behind.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
Hatch seal and third brake light are prone to leak, espicially the third brake light. Also the clips on the tailgate handle, moldings and rear wiper arm groumet can also leak.