Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Window "klunking" fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
EDM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window "klunking" fix

*i keep posting this in the wrong area, sorry*

I dont know if this will help any of you, but i just posted this on M|U as a reply to someone who had this problem.

Symptoms:

-Window sometimes will give you a firm "klunk klunk" when you begin to roll it down. (not to be confused with chattering all the way down)

-This problem can even eventually cause your door lock plunger not to raise when you pull the inner handle

The fix:

-I would post pics but the area is too small for anything legible

-Roll the window down

-Remove door panel: 3 exposed bolts, one under the white reflector. Then its a matter of popping the door card off, then lifting up to get it off the door lock plunger.

-Roll the window up

-First notice the wire coming off the inner door pull, thats what youll be chasing.

-Follow the wire to the inside of the door, making sure its snapped in to each black clamp. If you can fit an eyeball in there, you will see it snaps into the window regulator with a blue fitting. **if this is not clipped all the way in it will cause interference with the window and will provide slack so the door pull will not work**This is where my window was slapping something, it had popped out of where it should actually be tucked into the regulator, pushing the metal root of the plunger out for the window to rape each time.

-After snapping the blue fitting in make sure everything is in place, test the window. It should be fine.

-Reinstall

The area where that fitting, door lock plunger, and the wire to open the door can easily be thrown off by a couple firm door slams.