Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Inserting key in ignition unlocks passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inserting key in ignition unlocks passenger door

I've been having a very odd problem with the ignition key on my '06.

I will walk up to the car, hit the unlock button once to unlock the driver's door only. Then I get in, close the door and put the key in the ignition. About 70% of the time, inserting the key will cause the passenger door to unlock itself!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I had the dealer look at it once, but they couldn't replicate the problem...

Old 08-22-2007, 01:23 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it do it with both of your remote keys and your valet key? Does it happen right as you put the key in the ignition, or after you've turned the ignition on (but before you've started the car).

One possibility I'm thinking of is that there might be a loose connection in your key that's giving you the "second key press" and unlocking the passenger door.

Try this - get in the car, close the driver's door, and then lock the doors before you put the key in the ignition. Now, if you put the key in the ignition and the *driver's* door unlocks, then that's what happening - the keyfob is acting like it's being pressed as you put it into the ignition.

But if you have the problem with the valet key, the issue might be with the ignition switch. Do you have the feature programmed where your doors unlock when you turn the ignition off? If the ignition switch has a loose/intermittent connection, it may be thinking you're turning the ignition off and unlocking the doors for you. Since the driver's door is already unlocked at this point, you only notice the passenger door opening.

Lastly, when this happens, does it only unlock the passenger door, or does it unlock the hatch and gas cap as well?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you leave the key in the ignition, get out and press the button on the passenger side door, does the key shoot out of the ignition? Not that that has anything to do with solving the problem, but I'm curious.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
If you leave the key in the ignition, get out and press the button on the passenger side door, does the key shoot out of the ignition? Not that that has anything to do with solving the problem, but I'm curious.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance you are grabbing the key and happen to be pushing the button unlocking the door? Kindof a stretch, but I've seen people do stranger things.