Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake Lights Remaining On

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Lights Remaining On

Hey guys,

Looking to see if anyone's had a similar problem.

A couple times in the past I've taken my foot off the brake, turned off the ignition and gotten out of the car. What I'd find is my brake lights still on. Using the keyfob to lock or unlock the car would make them go off.

Well yesterday I came home, backed into my parking spot, and went into my apartment. When I came out this mornin 13.5 hours later I see my brake lights lit up like a Christmas tree. They were still very bright and the car turned over with only the slightest hesitation.

I was surprised that it still had juice to have the lights full brightness and turn the car over. Guess they don't use as much juice as headlights. But what the heck is causing this?

Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I betcha there's a BCM (Body Control Module) flash that fixes that...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy new brake light switch, $14. The brake light switch is located under the steering column and behind the knee knocker. Pull the knee offending piece down and look for the white connector on the switch, place a small flat blade screw driver between the edge of the connector and the switch body to lift it over that microscopic white tab so the connector can be removed. Pull the switch from the body clip, then find the invisible locking tabs (you can see them but quite difficult to release and the older switch is different than the update) and remove the body clip, lock in the new body clip in the correct orientation and insert the switch, attach the connector, push the brake pedal in and push the switch until it contacts the brake arm then release the pedal, the switch will self adjust.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Way too much work for me. Would this be covered under the warranty?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're still under warranty, yes.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
38k miles so I am still under warranty. I'll call the dealer next week.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have had 2 cars with brake lights staying on due to water on the passenger floor getting to the BC1 connectors.

check to see if you have a water leak. or since you are still under warranty take it to the shop.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by joey1320
i have had 2 cars with brake lights staying on due to water on the passenger floor getting to the BC1 connectors.

check to see if you have a water leak. or since you are still under warranty take it to the shop.
Car is bone dry inside and out. One of the benefits of living in a desert. I will call the dealer. I'm guessing they're going to give me that BS about not being able to replicate the problem so they can't fix it.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
if its happening so much they should be able to see it and find the problem. did you by any chance pull up the pass. floor carpet? theres a thick foam on the bottom of the carpet and is sometimes dry on top but wet on the bottom.

the leak could be coming from your a/c drain. thats where the both of the ones i fixed where coming from. so is not only rain you have to worry about and since you live in the dessert i think you are using the a/c a lot...

Last edited by joey1320; 08-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Mr Moe
2nd Gear
That happened to me also. My brake lights and my multifunction steering wheel were both illuminated after I locked the car. I turned the ignition key to the ON position and then OFF. That turned off the lights. It happened twice in a week, but never again since. Took it to the dealer, but had no clue.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by joey1320
if its happening so much they should be able to see it and find the problem. did you by any chance pull up the pass. floor carpet? theres a thick foam on the bottom of the carpet and is sometimes dry on top but wet on the bottom.

the leak could be coming from your a/c drain. thats where the both of the ones i fixed where coming from. so is not only rain you have to worry about and since you live in the dessert i think you are using the a/c a lot...
No I didn't pull up the carpet to check...how would I do that?

It isn't happening often. Third time in 2.5 years. Since this was the first time I didn't catch it I was worried. Didn't hurt my battery this time but if I miss it again, who knows. The other two times were a ways back.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To perform a thorough inspection the right lower kick panel should be removed; this is easier to do if the passenger side seat is also removed, it can be done with the seat in place but it drives the frustration quotient higher. I’m going to skip the details because you (BSG) balked at unplugging a connector so this task is beyond what you are willing to be involved in. BTW, I still would at least push the brake switch in towards the brake pedal arm to be sure it hasn’t backed out.

If you had an articulating wand, a section of paper towel could be attached and inserted behind the front carpet section directly below the glove box/cabin air box to check for moisture.