Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Wanderlust or how many quirks till you fall out of love

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On that note, about Lexus, I have always found it to be like an excellent butler. It's always there, always right, never complains. But it ain't never gonna play one-on-one with you.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think like anything else, it depends............does an ES300 drive like a MINI, no way. But does it drive as well or better than any other car in it's class? Certainly, and add the dealer service and they're head and shoulders above....

A new IS is supposed to be a great handling car very much like a 3 series, but again, it's no MINI, so it depends on what you're after.......

Compared to a Honda, C series MBZ or Camry, no contest.....

It just depends on what you want out of your car..........

Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
On that note, about Lexus, I have always found it to be like an excellent butler. It's always there, always right, never complains. But it ain't never gonna play one-on-one with you.
Not a bad analogy. Really for DEPENDABILITY a high(er)-end Japanese car is hard to beat... You can own it for 7 years and not have any issues at all and even the cabin fittings aren't squeaking. I know some engineers that work out at Honda and I know they invest a HUGE ammount of time in getting all the fittings just so.

But, the trade-off is that even the higher-end Lexus models are at best generic and lack the character of the BMWs and especially MINIs.

Last edited by ImagoX; 08-28-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
My dealer seemed pretty run-of-the-mill...

And, I haven't had any of the niggling problems with trims and plastic parts or door latches as you cite. Two window motors have crapped out, my boot latch rattled, and I had a dome light complaint, but that's all.

Actually, I was reasonably happy with my MINI dealer through the pre-paid service and warranty periods. They have always been courteous, and clean, and on time, but not seeming to be the brightest string of bulbs on the tree.

And, my MINI (knock on wood) has been mechanically reliable. It is my daily driver, and I really like it. It's never let me down. The only cars I've had that were better (reliability ONLY) were my '97 Saturn commuter, which finally died in my son's arms at 121,000+, and my '80 Toyota Celica GT hatch, which was THE most bulletproof auto I've ever had!! I traded it after about 80,000 abusive yet trouble free miles. The guy I traded it to drove it another 30K with very little $'s spent.

In fact, I'm not really UNhappy with my MINI dealer. Since I'm over 53,000, though, I just checked out how much they want for an "Inspection 2" service (due at 55K). $1125! I won't be going back anytime soon. As I slowly recovered from the shock, the SA proudly said to me "but that includes changing the belt, too!!" (which isn't due until 60,000 miles, by the way (per Bentley). Ooooh, I'm impressed!

I love the car. the dealers (I am "lucky" enough to be able to choose among three or more) are just typical as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by markldriskill; 08-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by markldriskill
Since I'm over 53,000, though, I just checked out how much they want for an "Inspection 2" service (due at 55K). $1125! I won't be going back anytime soon. As I slowly recovered from the shock, the SA proudly said to me "but that includes changing the belt, too!!" (which isn't due until 60,000 miles, by the way (per Bentley). Ooooh, I'm impressed!
I motor cross-country every spring, and when I am in the FL Panhandle, I have a great independent tech do all necessary servicing of Wanda. I had the Inspection II service in April, plus I ordered new fog lights (one burned out), and it all came to $389.42, $133 of which went to parts. Find a good shop and have the inspection done there. $1125 is simply outrageous!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
I plan to contact Central Coast Coopers this morinign to set up an appointment. It is out of my way, but they have one of the best reps here in SoCal. I'm also considering Revolution, but I don't know if they do service as well as mods. They aare much closer. I also have MINI Corsa to check out. They are closer too.

Thanks for the comparison shopping data!! I think I'll forward that to the dealer. I also looked at a reliable independent's regular servise procedure rates, and labor to R&R a belt is $75.

$1125, indeed!!! What are they smoking? Why it almost makes one think that local MINI dealers are trying to flim-flam owners!!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That $1125 seems very daunting and has me thinking again (d'oh). The Acura is seeming better after I had put it out of my mind. Especially since I don't know where I'll be stationed next and where the nearest dealership or garage will be!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:52 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
most any place will have a shop that can work on BMWs, and if you find that shop, they'll be able to work on a MINI as well.

Additionally, this is a great time to buy a good repair manual and start doing some DIY things.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Case in point... my "Service Engine" light went off a few weeks ago.
But you see, that is exactly the problem. MINIs throw too many cells. Wouldn't be interesting to see how many of the highest quality rated vehicles ever threw a CEL light?

Originally Posted by MINIdave
I don't think these cars are any more problem prone than any other German or English made car,
Well what other English cars are sold in the US? Jaguar? Anything else? In that case, yeah probably no worse than Jaguar I guess.

But German, you think? Check the top two rated in IQS at JD Power getting all 5 stars. Here's a hit. Its not MINI but hmm, one is a high Japanese car and one a high end German car. So I guess I can't buy into "I don't think these cars are any more problem prone than any other German or English made car"

I can understand diehard loyalty to a car brand. No problem. For example, my dad drove a Ford, I drive a Ford, my son is going to drive a Ford. Cool. But a little bit of a reality check sometimes would open some eyes.

In case nobody understands what some real realiability may be. Try going say 10 - 20 years and NEVER seeing the inside of a car dealer for any problem. Thats reliable. Now putting up with "quirks", a nice buzzword for unreliable, that's another issue. Have fun, sure, but sometimes the cost/benefits starts to hurt.

Last edited by chows4us; 08-29-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Well I did post a while back that I was thinking about getting back to my mechanic roots

Old 08-29-2007, 07:01 PM
ropauto
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five out of five

When I'm approached by dealership personnel with their grading system concerning past or future preformances.. And they stress their need to obtain a score of 10 out of 10 or 5 out of 5...

My canter is......"I'm a classroom school teacher...If you want top grading, you earn it. I just don't give it away....
And, when I do grade you, after a fashion, it will be a fair grade..Nothing less nothing more."

Stand back and watch their eyes roll back into their sockets.....:impatient

Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
timallen20
2nd Gear
Stumbled across this post. Was reading forums looking for more solutions to the latest in a myriad of problems.

My '03 MCS is the funnest car I have ever owned, but the constant problems combined with dealer apathy have ruined the experience for me:

--Rattling boot x2
--Clutch dead at 20K
--2 batteries dead before 40K
--Runflat tires-don't even get me started, I will never buy another runflat. I replaced them at 23K and it was $1000 for 4, and now 2 of them need replacement again at 42K!
--CD player skipped, replaced it, now incompatable with Nav--argh
--Stick shift **** popping off constantly, sunroof shades falling out
--Service engine light on twice now
--All sorts of interior defects and small problems

Add to that the indifferent dealer who is 40 min away (I live in a large urban area and there is one dealer, not even centrally located). First they argue everything is wear and tear and then finally give into my pleas, not once have they needed less than 2 days, not once have they been able to take the car less than a week out, never offer a loaner ("we only offer them under extenuating circumstances". LOL wth does that mean, when the customer looks dangerous?).

If the car was quirky but service great, I would buy again. If the car was reliable but service bad, that also would be OK. But unreliable car + bad service experience = no repeat customer.

I'm shopping for a Lexus and will miss my Cooper. But first I have to replace the oxygen sensor and some tires... Thank God she holds her value well!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Freedog
1st Gear
LOL, ah the "high end Euro" trap. I've been telling people about this imaginary reliable MB issue for years and no one listens. Truth of the matter, Europe makes fun, interesting, and fashionable cars. None of them are reliable and MB is the worst. I've owned Volkswagons and Volvo's and though I would love to have a 3 Series 'vert as a second car, I would never delude myself into believing it's due to "Great European relliability". If you want something very reliable, buy Japanese. If you want something cheap, interesting and/or are feelling nostalgic about the good old days, buy American. If your primary interests are having short term fun and impressing the neighbors, buy ANYTHING European. They're are few exeptions to these rules. Any other opinions are pure rationalization

Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I've had 6 MBs in 10 years and, no, they weren't perfect, but this Mini is the most poorly assembled car I have had since my 1972 Vega. The interior noise and possessed electronics are inexcusable.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by markldriskill
In fact, I'm not really UNhappy with my MINI dealer. Since I'm over 53,000, though, I just checked out how much they want for an "Inspection 2" service (due at 55K). $1125! I won't be going back anytime soon. As I slowly recovered from the shock, the SA proudly said to me "but that includes changing the belt, too!!" (which isn't due until 60,000 miles, by the way (per Bentley). Ooooh, I'm impressed!
Good lord! I know this is an old post, but I just saw it -- I had my 50K inspection done at the dealership and it was just over $300. $1125 is bizarre!

My car (03 MCS) has basically been a piece of crap since I rolled it off the floor. It gives me "presents": at 52K, I got a "Congrats on being out of warranty!" total engine wiring harness failure, I freqently have "It's Friday!" plastic bits fall off, and my dear Ollie almost never forgets to keep me on my toes with "Happy middle of the week!" incurable rattles and buzzes, or "It's been 1 month without a failure!" boot latch failures, and sometimes "Happy New Year!" simultaneous failures of both window motors and door latch cables (every other year with the window motors-- it's a sort of "date" we have.). One year, for my birthday, the sunroof motor died. And then of course this year's Merry Christmas!" mushroom.

It's been buckets of fun -- and I can think of no better way to maintain my own personal impoverishment.

But perhaps the greatest gift he's given me is knowledge of self: I'm apparently a masochist, because for some reason I still really love my car. I just can't see myself driving anything else. I wouldn't know what to do with all the extra money and sanity

Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
If you want bulletproof, buy a Camry. My wife is on her fourth and refuses to look at anything else. They have never, not once, let her down. Parts fit right and don't fall off, it starts every time you turn the key.
BUT IT'S LIKE DRIVING A SOFA! Arrrgh! It puts me to sleep in the first half mile.
My mini has not had a quality history any worse or any better than most of the other European cars-Audi, VW, Volvo-that I've owned, and the dealer has been, for the most part, exceptionally helpful.
But, no matter. I just flat out LOVE to drive that car! Send me to the store to buy a dozen eggs, and I'll get one egg at a time. A bag of rice?.... oooooo, now yer talkin'.
Oh, I've also owned older MGs & Triumphs. Now, if you want to talk about quirks....

Last edited by Ancient Mariner; 12-15-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Freedog
LOL, ah the "high end Euro" trap. I've been telling people about this imaginary reliable MB issue for years and no one listens. Truth of the matter, Europe makes fun, interesting, and fashionable cars. None of them are reliable and MB is the worst. I've owned Volkswagons and Volvo's and though I would love to have a 3 Series 'vert as a second car, I would never delude myself into believing it's due to "Great European relliability". If you want something very reliable, buy Japanese. If you want something cheap, interesting and/or are feelling nostalgic about the good old days, buy American. If your primary interests are having short term fun and impressing the neighbors, buy ANYTHING European. They're are few exeptions to these rules. Any other opinions are pure rationalization
What are you smoking?! I need some! My dad owned a '86 Volvo 740. It was bulletproof. I mean, never did he have to take it in for repairs. The only problem we ever had with it was the headliner falling out but that was because it sat in the searing heat most of the time. Other than that, one of the most reliable cars my family ever owned. Of course, MB has tanked in reliability lately but NOT all European makes. My dad also owned a 2003 Audi A6. He pushed it HARD. It spent most of its life on the autobahn, averaging 90-100 mph from the German border to Switzerland. He kept it for four years and never had a problem with it. He only sold it because the company gave him a huge discount on a BMW station wagon. But the BMW is a different story. Your statement that "None are reliable" needs some facts to back up that story. I also tried to buy a 97 Volvo 850. All were too expensive for my price range despite the fact that quite a few had racked up 60,000 miles in less than four years. They still held nearly half their value, not too shabby at all. I test drove one. It still felt bolted tight as if it just came off the assembly line. My brother's Honda Accord? After five years, it just started having one tiny problem after another. Then, he decided to do the repairs himself. After realizing it was turning into a money pit, he sold it.