Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Whistle around 100-105 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I said subtle.....

Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 AM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue on my car while runnig at homestead 2 weeks ago.. we think is the belt tensioner I had in there that vibrates and makes the whistle noise...not sure what is causing it on your R56..

Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
stjoehawk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I said subtle.....
Agreed, you did, and it is subtle. I just think that it's too subtle for its own good, and really doesn't serve the intended purpose. I'd even think that posting "Mods, you may want to look at this..." is too subtle, as the only way that it would be read by a mod is if they are already reading the thread, in which case it's too late.

But not having the thread locked did lead to your line about the siren, and that made me laugh, so I really can't complain.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DWhitt
What else was I to do?

Not posting that you're driving over the legal speed limit. Please refer to site guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM
DWhitt
1st Gear
Wow, I feel like I'm back in high school. Like I said, I'll post in a couple weeks after I get my car on the track and then maybe we can discuss this like grown adults.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by DWhitt
Wow, I feel like I'm back in high school. Like I said, I'll post in a couple weeks after I get my car on the track and then maybe we can discuss this like grown adults.
There's nothing "high school" about it, DWhitt... the NAM Site Guidelines are very clear on this:
Originally Posted by NAM Site Guidelines
5. LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.
The founder/owner of NAM (Mark Ferguson) has decided he does not want NAM to foster dangerous driving behavior, and it's his site, so that's the rule here.

Note though, it doesn't specifically say "driving over the speed limit" though. We're reasonable people, and we're not going to bat an eye just because someone posts they drove 56 in a 55. It says excessive speeding, which, on North American roads, any triple digit speed most certainly is.

Your post would actually be enough to warrant an infraction in most cases, but since you're new here and your post wasn't really "glorifying" the speed, we'll call it a warning instead.

I empathize with the difficulty in troubleshooting and fixing your problem, but it's pretty much a catch-22, as unless you get track time for diagnosis, you have to blatantly break the law in order to get someone to witness or troubleshoot the problem. And, of course... if you weren't breaking the law in the first place, you would never have noticed the problem.

(You aren't the first MINI owner to experience this - on 1st Gen MINIs too)

That being said, I'm closing this thread down. If you manage to get a resolution via legal means (track diagnosis, or even German Autobahn diagnosis!), then by all means post on it again.