Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Adjusting the alignment of tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adjusting the alignment of tailgate

Anyone know how to adjust the alignment of the tailgate? Mine is off (again) and rather than take it back to the dealer (again) I'd just like to do it myself, especially since I expect it's going to be a recurring problem with the mini.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is it off? Just a visual difference or do you have difficulties in getting it to latch?

Does anyone have complaints with how the tailgate latches? I certainly do- push it closed too softly or too hard, and it won't latch solidly. It seems very sensitive to closing with just the right amount of force. I had it actually come open on me going down the interstate a couple weeks ago (tailgate ajar light came on but it does a lot so I sometimes ignore- not any more). How the tailgate latches might be my biggest (only) complaint with the MINI.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM
ronmichael
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you have an alignment problem too but with different symptoms. I had somewhat similiar issues when I first got my MINI. I had to slam the thing hard to get it to lock shut. I brought it to the dealer, they adjusted the tailgate, and after that it was extremely easy to close, no issue with my pushing too hard or too soft.

My latest alignment issue doesn't affect closing the tailgate - that is still pretty easy - but it's definitely no longer flush and the tailgate ajar light comes on and off a lot. The most annoying thing about it is that I suspect this will be a recurring problem - the dealer can fix it every time but it'll slowly get out of alignment after a while.

Anyway, if you mention it to the dealer, they should be able to fix it pretty easily.

But I'm still hoping someone knows how to adjust it manually.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine definitely isn't flush with the body panel on the left side.

Even though I told the assistant service advisor when I took it in last for oil change, they didn't fix it.... because she didn't enter it in the ticket...

The light coming on is a separate but related issue - there is supposedly a replacement plunger switch for the tailgate that they will replace under warranty - has a longer plunger and solves this problem. Right now I have a little rubber "bumper" sticky on my tailgate where the plunger strikes - which works until it gets so hot that the sticky slides a bit... I just haven't had time to take it back and get it done... I'm also trying to figure out how to adjust "flushness"... I have the new Bentley manual, but it's not as clear as I wish it was about this...

Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Omer Humayun
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently had my R52 in for corrosion warranty work. Drivers side rear quarter as well as the taigate was done. Now, the tailgate is out of alignment. Sent the dealer an email with an image (attached). Here's his reply:
"I have noticed this issue on many convertible models. It has something to do with convertible top and/or seals fitted to the top. You will probably notice if you raise the rear part of the top and close the gate it should fit much better. Once you put the top back down it will have enough pressure to keep the gate from sitting flush.
All the cars I have noticed this on all seem to be on the drivers side for some reason.
We have tried in the past to realign the top, but this seems to make other issues with alignment of parts and possible top function.
Sorry I do not have an exact remedy for this situation."

Thoughts? SHould I take it back and demand an alignment or fix of some sort?

Attached Thumbnails Adjusting the alignment of tailgate-tailgate.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 05:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
I had mine done on my convertible for rust also and it was aligned. So the rear qtr panel is too high on the shoulder?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-31-2017, 08:39 AM
Omer Humayun
2nd Gear
The quarter seems fine, it's the tailgate. It's flush with the quarter on the passenger side, but it's popping out at the top ever so slightly on the drivers side. It's not huge, but it's setting off my OCD. And, despite the dealer's suggestion, I could have sworn it wash flush when I picked it up.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Omer Humayun
2nd Gear
Update - saw the dealer about this yesterday. Seems the issue is the seal has become so stiff that it's not compressing when the boot is closed. Lifting the base of the top fixes the problem! So, I will be planning to replace the seal when I replace the molding that is rotting away.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Oh, thats good. And not the body. Yea, I have to replace both my sides soon. I am going to replace the hardware as it pretty rusty also like all R52 up north.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-away-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172