Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil Change Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Problem

I'm going on a big road trip this Friday so, like any good Mini owner, I was changing my oil. I've only had my 2003 MCS for a couple months, so this was my first time doing it. Everything was going along fairly well (minus the stongest man in the world tightening the oil filter canister) until I got the filter off. I was feeling around for the post to put the filter on, I noticed an excess of leftover oil. I thought I should clean that off before putting my new filter on and was wiping it up when what looks like a small spring loaded button came loose. I feel 2 holes against the engine, does it go into one of those?

I'm kind of freaking out, I've never had a car that I love as much as my Mini and am so worried that I broke it just prior to our first 'real' trip together. Can anyone out there help me? I've searched the forums for the last couple hours, but I don't know the technical names for the parts, so it is really hard to find what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ead.php?t=4928

For advice call tomorrow
Randy Webb
720-841-1002 (Colorado)
http://www.mini-motorsport.com

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That black nozzle is the button on a spring loaded oil by-pass valve. The photo below is from an early model cooper but the holes are the same, it goes back in the one with the brass insert. I tried to remove it but it won’t pull out so I don’t know how you did it.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
k-huevo how in the heck did you manage to get that picture? There is barely enough room for my hand and the canister to get back there. Nice work!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
Thanks for the help, I'll go check it out. All I was doing was wiping out the excess oil in there with a shop towel and it came out. Weird...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
I just can't seem to figure out how it secures into place in there. I feel so stupid, I've changed the oil in ever car I've ever owned and I have never had a problem.

I wish I had a camera, I'm pretty sure I could get a picture down there, to at least see what I'm dealing with.

Well back to work, here's hoping that my mini will be roadworthy in about 20 hours...

EDIT:

I was just feeling around in there and, as I said, I feel 2 holes. There is one further recessed than the other. The one that sticks out further feels like it is also spring loaded. It also feels like there might be threads on the sides. Is that the one the plug goes into and is the outer spring on the thread onto it? Maybe I'm grasping at straws here.

EDIT 2:

I'm not sure what I did, but I got the part to stay in the hole I was describing. Hopefully this is the right spot. If anyone knows, I'd be insanely grateful.

EDIT 3:

Well, I'm off to work now. It must have just sort of been wedged in there because when I tried to put the filter on, it just came right out.

Last edited by frankhuzzah; 09-13-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Here is the oil filter housing base on my MCS and you can see how the by-pass nozzle is oriented.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-huevo
Here is the oil filter housing base on my MCS and you can see how the by-pass nozzle is oriented.
man i gotta say this site is better for having you .

Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Don't wanna be a kill joy but ....

Hey, I don't wanna cause problems but I'd want to be mighty damn sure that beasty was back in right.....

What happens if it isn't and once the system is pressurized it pops off again???

I don't know???? I'm asking???? But I'd be concerned.....

Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 PM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
Hey, I don't wanna cause problems but I'd want to be mighty damn sure that beasty was back in right.....

What happens if it isn't and once the system is pressurized it pops off again???

I don't know???? I'm asking???? But I'd be concerned.....
I totally agree. I've got a call into my nearest (200 miles away) dealership and thier shop forman is supposed to call me back. Needless to say, this car probably isn't going on vacation with me. I don't know how the heck I could tow my car down to Minneapolis which is completely opposite direction of where I am going.

@k-huevo - I can't thank you enough for your pictures, I truly appreciate it. It reminds me that Minis are not only cool cars, but they also (generally) attract a very cool person. One question though, is there some sort of clip that holds it on? I looked on my garage floor and all over in the engine bay but I don't see anything. I'm just trying to figure how the heck it is supposed to stay in there.

A friend suggested looking down there with a mirror so I'll check that tonight after I get home from work. I'll be sure to post any findings here in the hope that if anyone else has the problem they can find an answer.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Sorry, I don’t know how it is retained, but once the filter is placed above it, and the cover screwed down, it’s not going any where. The mirror suggestion is good, be sure nozzle is not cocked to one side, and press it with a finger to see if it will fully retract and spring back. It may only be a press fit on that type of housing. Pull it out again if you don’t feel confident and take some time to make a detailed observation of both the nozzle and opening where it seats.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
Well, the good news is that thanks to k-huevo's pics and the mirror idea, I know where the plug goes. The bad news is that I could not for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to 'stick' in place. What I could do, however, is lay it in place and put the filter on. It just pushes back into its hole and I could feel the springing against the filter. I was able to get the cover on and screwed down. My only problem is that I *assume* that it is still in place. If I filled up my car with oil, and the nozzle is not in place will I get a low oil pressure light? Maybe a check engine light? I took the canister and filter off and checked it again and it was just lying at its opening. Obviously I want to take my Mini on my trip, but there is no way I'm going to do anything to jeopordize the happyness of my car.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:58 PM
frankhuzzah
Neutral
Well I'm currently in Denver and I went over to the Mini dealership and explained the problem to them. Basically the valve only comes as part of the oil filter housing, so I have to replace the it. Neither the the techs I talked to had ever even heard of one of the valves coming out and they speculated that it was a freak thing. So that's where I'm at. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 AM
ekinca
Neutral
Not such a freak thing...

Well I am having the EXACT same problem, and unable to reinstall the bypass valve took my car to MINI they want over $1000 to fix it!!! Unbelievable, I cannot believe this is such an important part could be so cheap... But yet SOOO expensive... I think I may attempt to order parts myself and repair... Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
DanC1968
Neutral
Okay. I changed the filter in our 2002 mini and now the oil light comes on when we start it and goes off when we touch the gas pedal. Is it dangerous to drive it this way??? There is obviously oil flowing hru the filter because i took it out and checked. The light is coming on for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is. HELP!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The reason the light goes on is that the oil pressure is low. Bad idea to drive it in that condition.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DanC1968
Okay. I changed the filter in our 2002 mini and now the oil light comes on when we start it and goes off when we touch the gas pedal. Is it dangerous to drive it this way??? There is obviously oil flowing hru the filter because i took it out and checked. The light is coming on for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is. HELP!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7-post279.html

Yes, Dan, it is dangerous to drive it like that. Here's a link to some pictures I posted in a sort-of dead post about oil changes. You may have tossed the basket and spring out with the old filter- easy to do- so have a look at these and see if you put it back together with the basket or not. If not, you have to drain (and save, if going into a clean container) the oil, pull the filter housing and re-assemble it correctly. Driving even a few more days with the oil light coming on at idle will excessively wear your engine.

Please report back- we'd love to know what the problem was.

Thanks-
Val

Last edited by valvashon; 08-10-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: actually added link
Old 08-10-2013, 11:47 AM
DanC1968
Neutral
Thank you for the reply. I ended up replacing the filter with a Fram and yes, the basket was gone but it was broken when I pulled the filter the first time. The light did go on when I put the Fram filter in but went out and hasn't come back on since. The spring is still there with the Fram filter but the cage is not. I figured that since the light went out I may as well leave it alone. QUOTE=valvashon;3789575]https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7-post279.html
Yes, Dan, it is dangerous to drive it like that. Here's a link to some pictures I posted in a sort-of dead post about oil changes. You may have tossed the basket and spring out with the old filter- easy to do- so have a look at these and see if you put it back together with the basket or not. If not, you have to drain (and save, if going into a clean container) the oil, pull the filter housing and re-assemble it correctly. Driving even a few more days with the oil light coming on at idle will excessively wear your engine.

Please report back- we'd love to know what the problem was.

Thanks-
Val[/QUOTE]

Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
you may need to pull the filter et al and inspect but you don't need to drain all the oil to do that. The oil pan is below the filter. Other than the oil caught in the filter, the oil is down in the pan.

"crack" the filter housing and let as much oil as possible drain down to the pan.

Then remove the canister and do your thing

When you put things back together you may need to replace a wee bit - just make sure you check your level every day for a few days . . .

and I can not believe I've replied to a thread from 2007 . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-10-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
you may need to pull the filter et al and inspect but you don't need to drain all the oil to do that. The oil pan is below the filter. Other than the oil caught in the filter, the oil is down in the pan.

"crack" the filter housing and let as much oil as possible drain down to the pan.

The remove the canister and do your thing

When you put things back together you may need to replace a wee bit - just make sure you check your level every day for a few days . . .

and I can not believe I've replied to a thread from 2007 . . .
It's a trend lately on here to revive 4+ years old threads

On a serious note, there's a couple reasons why the light would come on:

- Low on oil.
- Low pressure from a blocked oil passage.
- Oil filter canister o-ring broken (if it's not properly greased when installed, it can get cut and will leak oil, but there would be oil on the ground... I know, I did it twice in 4 years, now I use vaseline for the o-ring and never had any problems).
- Faulty oil pressure sensor

The reason why the light goes off when you press the accelerator is that the oil pressure rise, but once the rpm drop, so does the pressure.

Last edited by Da_Ghost; 08-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Capt_bj, you are correct about not having to drain the oil to pull the filter. I stand corrected.

I don't feel odd replying to an old post as I was replying to a new question a relatively new member had. The fact that it was in response to a 2007 thread is neither here nor there, they needed help. Some people think threads should die a permanent death, I do not.

The reason it's important to respond is that this is a question about oil pressure or the lack thereof. Low oil pressure equals premature death of your engine. I can only hope DanC reads everybody's suggestions about what to look for.

Val