Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Stalling out 2007 MINI Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
notmestl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue

At about 9,500 miles my Mini was initially stumbling RPM's at stops (almost stalling) and having difficulty switching gears as I was driving to the point where it was jamming into the next gear. It would way over rev and then slam into the next gear. I took it in last month and they ended up finding that all four fuel valves were leaking! These were replaced, worked great for the last two weeks or so.

Until this weekend - problem started up again last Saturday when the issue began re-occurring and then this morning I drove about 100 feet from my house, stopped at the stop sign and stalled out. No warning lights, nothing just stalled. When I start it up it is rough as well, I figure I'll let it sit idle for a few before going anywhere just in case.

I have an appointment for Thursday.

BTW - Premium fuel only.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been 1 week since my high pressure fuel pump was replaced. All is fine and this has completely fixed the stalling problems when the car sits for 8 to 10 hours. The car is behaving just as it did prior to the problem, just push the start button and it starts and runs beautifully without touching the gas pedal, idles perfectly and never stalls. My MINI dealer (Desert MINI of Las Vegas) diagnosed the problem correctly and took great care of me and the car under warranty with no cost. I hope this helps others who are having the same problem.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
bookaband
Neutral
2007 Mini Copper Stalling Out- Way Out!!

Any owners of Mini 2007 with engine stalling out. My problem occurs about
every 20 days and I have to have it towed to the dealer. Of course, they can never duplicate the issue and when they drive it and test it nothing happens.
I am sure at this point after three tows in three months, 12/08 -2/16 and
3/18/09 that I am not crazy. It usually happens on a short trip and after a few stops and starts. I can put my foot to the floor of the gas peddle and I am lucky to go 3 miles an hour. This has happened as I am crossing the railroad tracks and almost was hit by a train. Next time I just abandon the car and leave it there for my own safety. Please tell me I am not the only one with this issue. I am so frustrated that the dealer cannot find the problem at all. I had no problem for the first three years at all but a tire change but
as soon as the the car hit 18,000 miles this started to happen. Help!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
bookaband
Neutral
2007 Mini Copper Stalling Out- Way Out!!

Originally Posted by LuckyLady13
Has anyone here had a problem with your MINI stalling? I started up my MINI, backed up, then put it in gear (Automatic Transmission) and as soon as I touched the accelerator, it stalled out. I tried it several times and it stalled out every time. My husband finally had to press hard on the accelerator as he started it, whereas it then ran rough for a short period of time, it back-fired, then it seemed to be okay. I use premium gas. It seemed like it was starving for gas. Since we are approximately an hour away from our MINI dealer, I thought I would check with this forum to see if there has been anybody experiencing this type of situation and if so, what the problem turned out to be. I'm waiting to hear from my MA and service advisor also. Thank you for any feedback you can offer.
Thank you for posting this issue. I am having the same problem with my Mini.
Every time this happens ( 3 times in 3 months 2008-2009) I have it towed to the dealer and they say they cannot duplicate the issue. I have an
automatic too. My issue was exactly as you decribed yours. We must be diligent and have Mini resolve this. I am not giving up!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this issue, for a couple months now....taking it to the dealer in a week, so we'll see what they find...he said that it is prolly the fuel pump, which is consistent with what others have said.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM
bookaband
Neutral
Thank you for your reply. I have had my car towed once a month for the last three months and my dealership finds nothing wrong. I am so frustrated and that is why I posted this at all mini sites. Hope your issue is resolved better than mine. My issue is that the 2006 mini stalls out for no apparent reason
and no waring lights come on when it happens.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm following up on my previous fuel starvation issue where they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. I had a return of similar behavior that I returned the car to the dealer (on a flat back). It turned out to be a problem with an electrical connection. They found it, repaired the problem and returned the car to me in a little over a day. So far, everything is working flawlessly. I can understand others problems being "non- repeatable" as being very hard to diagnose. When a technician is tracing down a problem that isn't misbehaving it's kind of hard. Lucky for me, my problem was very repeatable.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
bookaband,

If yours is a 2006 MINI, you're posting in the wrong Forum. This one is for 2nd generation (2007+) MINIs.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 AM
NASCART
Neutral
2007 Cooper S Manual 6 speed abruptly stalling out!

Over the past month now, my mini will stall and has stalled a dozen times + in the last week. The engine immediately shuts off but the electrically will still be on. This happens at random times, City and Highway driving. It seems to happen more often in the heat of the day (90 + degrees). Cruising down the highway it will just suddenly shut down like as if the fuel had been “pinched of” like a water hose. It always starts back up after I let it sit for about 5-10 min.

I travel A LOT for my job. I have 84,000 miles which means no warranty. I baby the heck out of it though. Change oil every 10,000 miles etc... I was told by Mini of Murray Utah service dept. that it’s most likely a “bad fuel” issue. over the last 3 years, about 50% of the time, I fill it up with premium fuel at the local Maverick Gas station. Mini Service told me NOT TO DO THAT and to immediately add some Fuel system cleaning additive in the tank and to top it off with Chevron fuel and that should fix the problem. If that doesn’t fix it, they said, than it’s probably the fuel pump (s).

I put in BG 44K Fuel system cleaner and filled it up at the local Chevron with premium ….so far so good. I’m hoping it’s not the $1000 High Pressure fuel pump…crossing fingers. I’ll update after I’ve run this tank out and that’s IF I can run this tank out…………

Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
NASCART
Neutral
Well,. . . Mini of Murray Utah replaced my low pressure fuel pump and it did not solve the problem. It still stalls. Also, the type of fuel was not the problem, although I will only run Chevon fuel from here on. My 2007 cooper s has been in the Desert Mini of Las Vegas for the past week and they haven't found the problem yet. They are thinking it might be something to do with the electrical system. The service mechanic said it might be some of the electrical nodules?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
nhminiproblem
Neutral
Stalling Problem

Did anyone ever find the root of the problem, this has been happening to my 2007 cooper s since it was new every single winter, I bring it in and they "fix" the problem by replacing all kinds of stuff every time but it is never fixed. It is dangerous thing to have a car that stalls out in the middle of intersections.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 PM
kapples
Neutral
I hav07 mini which is stalling after 20-25 miles freeway driving (after being idle for hours) when I get to 2nd or 3rd stop sign. CEL is on now.. but "no fault stored."
ARRGGGHHH!!!! Dealer can not find why this is occuring.. what to do now?? 70K miles

Last edited by kapples; 07-16-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: remove info
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
kapples
Neutral
same thing for me

Originally Posted by bookaband
Thank you for posting this issue. I am having the same problem with my Mini.
Every time this happens ( 3 times in 3 months 2008-2009) I have it towed to the dealer and they say they cannot duplicate the issue. I have an
automatic too. My issue was exactly as you decribed yours. We must be diligent and have Mini resolve this. I am not giving up!
My 07 is doing the same thing-- any words of advice?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
NASCART
Neutral
2007 MINICOOPER S was Stalling out and FIXED!!!

My 07 Cooper S was stalling out, mostly during hot days. My mileage was at 86,000. Yes I drive it a lot! The mechanics at Desert Mini of Las Vegas figured it out. After driving it for about 60 miles and letting it set idling in 100 degree temperatures, they found that the Main Electrical Relay was overheating causing the fuel pump to shut off. After replacing Main Relay they let it fun for 5 hours and drove it 20 miles with no faults or problems.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM
DeanS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NASCART
My 07 Cooper S was stalling out, mostly during hot days. My mileage was at 86,000. Yes I drive it a lot! The mechanics at Desert Mini of Las Vegas figured it out. After driving it for about 60 miles and letting it set idling in 100 degree temperatures, they found that the Main Electrical Relay was overheating causing the fuel pump to shut off. After replacing Main Relay they let it fun for 5 hours and drove it 20 miles with no faults or problems.
Mine stalled out as well! Since I work grave, heat isn't an issue. But, I work exactly 60 miles from my house. It drives great...and the faster I drive it, the better it runs...GO FIGURE! However, when I pull off the freeway it starts missing and if I don't keep a little pressure on the accelerator...it stalls...but starts right back up!

Now, my wife picks up my daughter from school...two miles away...and she gets there fine. But, coming home, she always stalls out at the same light...wierd!

Any more recent issues that have come to light...or is general consensus still the MER?

BTW...my '07 is a base...not an S