Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Stalling out 2007 MINI Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
LuckyLady13
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling out 2007 MINI Cooper S

Has anyone here had a problem with your MINI stalling? I started up my MINI, backed up, then put it in gear (Automatic Transmission) and as soon as I touched the accelerator, it stalled out. I tried it several times and it stalled out every time. My husband finally had to press hard on the accelerator as he started it, whereas it then ran rough for a short period of time, it back-fired, then it seemed to be okay. I use premium gas. It seemed like it was starving for gas. Since we are approximately an hour away from our MINI dealer, I thought I would check with this forum to see if there has been anybody experiencing this type of situation and if so, what the problem turned out to be. I'm waiting to hear from my MA and service advisor also. Thank you for any feedback you can offer.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 AM
OCmotorer
Neutral
That same thing happenend to me last week and the 2700 mark. It seems to be running fine now but it stalled out nearly 10 time before stomping the gas worked. I talked to the service department guys and they said they hadn't heard anything about this but surely ours can't be the only two.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:41 AM
LuckyLady13
Neutral
Are you also from New Jersey? I'm waiting to hear from the service advisor at Princeton Mini.

If there are others on this forum who experienced this, please post. And share any information that you may have acquired concerning this stalling problem. Thank you!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:22 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
Honestly, this happened to me once. I am a firm believer in Shell & BP Gas.. not for political reasons, whatever they may be.

And I put Exxon in it the other day, and this happened... I think it may have a slight bearing on what kind of gas you use...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
boggsale
Neutral
I, too, have had several stalls in my '07 Cooper and have less than 2000 miles on the engine. Twice in traffic (yikes!) and once in my driveway. Can't put any common occurrence to it, though.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LuckyLady13
Has anyone here had a problem with your MINI stalling? I started up my MINI, backed up, then put it in gear (Automatic Transmission) and as soon as I touched the accelerator, it stalled out. I tried it several times and it stalled out every time. My husband finally had to press hard on the accelerator as he started it, whereas it then ran rough for a short period of time, it back-fired, then it seemed to be okay. I use premium gas. It seemed like it was starving for gas. Since we are approximately an hour away from our MINI dealer, I thought I would check with this forum to see if there has been anybody experiencing this type of situation and if so, what the problem turned out to be. I'm waiting to hear from my MA and service advisor also. Thank you for any feedback you can offer.
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM
OCmotorer
Neutral
I have a Shell card so I have only used shell since I got the car. IT still hasn't happened again but I am not sure that the type of gas is the issue.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:32 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Does this happen only "automatic" transmission????

Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
That's a very nice post I think. IMO the reported stalling shouldn't happen. I think it's a fuel delivery issue myself. Hope it gets fixed.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
LuckyLady13
Neutral
Received a call from Scott of MINI National Customer Relations today. He spoke to me about my stalling problem. He is supposed to check to see what he can find out. He was surprised that I never received a call back from the Princeton MINI service advisor. I will post whatever the outcome with this situtation. Scott did say that I may have to take my MINI back in for a software update. So far, my MINI hasn't stalled again; however, I keep it in the sport mode so the revs stay higher. Without the sport button on, it feels like it is going to stall again. I want to thank everyone who has posted about the same problem. Has anyone else out there actually had their service department give them an actual factual reason for this condition? Thank you MINI DIVISION. I will post again once I have new information.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
What month were your cars produced?. Seems to me some people were having this problem early on in 2007. My production date was in Jume 2007 and have approx. 3,600 miles and has not stalled but I am concerned and keep waiting for the shoe to drop.

Last edited by amazonracer; 09-26-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
jrammon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Still wondering - are these all automatics or manuals too?

Last edited by jrammon; 09-27-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: no email notification
Old 09-27-2007, 06:04 PM
LuckyLady13
Neutral
My MINI was produced on August 13 and have 912 miles on her so far.

I'm taking my MINI back to Princeton MINI on October 15 for them to take a good look at the stalling situation.

I will report what they find.

I want to thank everyone who participated in this thread.

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE my MINI but the thought of it stalling out in traffic scares me.

Have a great evening!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Kimberely
4th Gear
My MINI stalls in first. I just figured that first gear was touchier than I am used to - or that I was a dolt and not giving it enough gas. I have a late July MINI (manuel trans) with 700+ miles on it.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
sorjorla
Neutral
My 07 Auto Cooper has the same problem!

I got 5,000 miles on my cooper, auto transmission, has the exact same problem as yours. The first stalling was when I came out from an underground parking lot. Brought my car in for check up the past Saturday, they couldn't find what went wrong (yet they did feel the rough idle). The second stalling happened when I just left the dealership - stopped by gas station for gas, got a crazy rough idle out of the gas station, and it stalled at the red light right after.

I brought my car in again today (Monday), when I arrived the dealership, stopped the car for them to sign me in. When they asked me to pull the car forward, it stalled again! My cooper is now staying in the dealership overnight hopefully they can find out what happened to it. Will come back and post again after I get their feedback.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 PM
sorjorla
Neutral
Problem solved - for now

My 07 Auto non-S got the same problem. Just got my car back from dealership 30 minutes ago. They said it was software problem so they updated it and everything should now be fine. The trip between dealership and my home was smooth, the rough idle and stalling were gone. Hope problem is completely solved. :impatient

Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Is this a SW version different than the June release of v26.?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Here is a thread, maybe it will helpful. I believe software is the problem..
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113835

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
mini in UP michigan
Neutral
engine stalls in cold

Hi Luckylady
I came across this forum and thread after i had exact problem you were describing though iam experiencing this at temperatures 20 F or less. Did you get any reasonable explation or fix to this issue with your MCS in NJ. I live 250 miles from nearest Mini dealer and can't afford to drive down all the way with the service people working without identifying the problem.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a '07 MCS, 6 speed, March 2007 build, 23K miles. I have installed a relay board that automatically turns the Sport Button on each time I start the car. In the last month I've had stalling and rough running in the mornings (temps in the 30's), and sometimes after the car has sat for several hours. It seems like fuel starvation. Normally I don't touch the gas, just press the start button and the car starts, idles fine and no problems. When it's misbehaving it's rough running, backfires and stalls. If I press the gas down an inch or so when pressing the start button I can often keep it running until the roughness "clears out" then all is back to normal. I'm wondering if the fuel pressure is bleeding down (like a bad fuel accumulator or check valve in an older Bosch CIS injected car) or if it could be a plugged or dirty fuel filter. I only use Premium Chevron and occasionally Shell Premium fuels. Has anyone gotten this problem resolved and if so what was at the root of the problem?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
I took my MINI into the Dealer this morning. They tell me it is the "high pressure" fuel pump (the one at the engine not the tank) that is leaking and causing the fuel pressure to bleed down. A new pump is on order and I will take the car in next week for the installation of the new pump. I'm glad my car is still in warranty as the part alone is $1000+ and it's about a 2 hour job to install it. I'll post again after the repair and some use to share if this has fixed the problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:15 PM
mini in UP michigan
Neutral
hi Kukaepe
I called a dealer in WI who couldn't give me any logical explanation to the above problem but offered to test it and repair it. Next i called knauf dealership in IL and got to speak to service advisor who admitted that they are seeing many MC with same problem in winters and offered the same explanation as you had. He did tell me that most of the minis they worked on this issue had something( dust,impurities of gas, mositure-ice) clogged up the fuel supply to engine which open up once the engine gets warm. This problem is not computerised yet and hence it would not show up like engine/battery issues.
Anyway please do keep us posted if the new fuel pump fixes your car so that i can try that too.
Thanks a lot.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have similar issue when braking hard coming to a stop it'll try and stall and rev or the tach will just drop straight to zero, but it will happen even when its warmed up and warm outside, does it random times.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
bloomicy
1st Gear
Fuel starvation

My 07MCS is now always having trouble starting when cold -- the other day I had to try 14 times before I got it to stay running; on about 1 out of 10 times starting it'll run sputtering and backfiring; but most of the time it will stall out. I live three hours away from the nearest dealership; taking it in on Monday, so we'll see... should I be insisting on their replacing the fuel pump? The service guy who took the appointment said something about the MINIs having trouble with ethanol... but is this a non-warranty problem??? I only use 91 or 93 octane, like I'm supposed to!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Took my MCS in today, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump under warranty. While I was there they replaced the front pads, installed the shorter tail pipes and flushed the brake fluid. All of these items were covered in the 3/36 warranty & maintenance program. I'll post again after I've driven it a while but so far all is good. It's great to have such a comprehensive warranty. I would say if your car stumbles, misses and backfires in the morning or other times when it has been sitting 8 to 10 hours that the high pressure fuel pump may be worth checking out. It's on the left side of the engine and appears to be driven by the camshaft closest to the windshield. My SA went out with a flashlight and looked at the end of the fuel pump and said yup, it's leaking and ordered the pump. I hope the rest of you who are having this problem are blessed with as cooperative and knowledgeable Dealers.

Quick Reply: Stalling out 2007 MINI Cooper S