Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clearly God is punishing you all for buying a car with a decorative hood scoop. Sinners, repent!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aem421
For some reason they only have one GT2 (or whatever it's called) computer and it broke. They are waiting for a new one to come in. As of today, it's still not in. They hope Monday. ...
Yeah right, the computer is broke and they're waiting for a new one You had me going there for a minute.

Seriously though.... they are stalling because MiniUSA hasn't figured it out yet. Well, two more weeks and it meets the 30 days in the shop requirement of the MD LL. Not that the LL is a desired outcome.

Hang in there, I feel your pain.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Testing 1 - 2 - 3

Friday Update:

I performed a couple temperature tests, on the Mini, Friday night when I arrived home. Basically I monitored the outflow hose temp from the water pump to see when the fan would kick on. It started running at around 221F, and never shut off. It must have been running on low, because it couldn't reach the shut off temp of 167F. I let it run for about 15 minutes before turning the car off.

I shut the bonnet and turned off the engine. The fan stopped running and the turbo water pump was not running either. Knowing I gave it sufficient cool down time, I was very interested in the bonnet temps.

The max temperature on the bonnets hot spot only reached 145F. That's a all time low!! So there is hope of having safe temps after shutdown.

My water pump usually runs for up to five minutes after engine off, but I can only recall the fan running twice after engine off.

Owners with "normal" shutdown temps please answer the following questions:
  1. Does your fan run every time after engine off and for how long?
  2. Does your water pump run every time after engine off and for how long?
  3. Is it typical for your fan to be already running prior to engine off?
  4. When was your Mini built?
  5. Has it had any ECU updates?
Thanks to all of you participating in my quest for coolness.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:14 AM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Friday Update:

1. Thanks to all of you participating in my quest for coolness.
You can start by trading in your polyester sansabelt slacks for some blue jeans .

Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
mataku
5th Gear
Friday Update:

I performed a couple temperature tests, on the Mini, Friday night when I arrived home. Basically I monitored the outflow hose temp from the water pump to see when the fan would kick on. It started running at around 221F, and never shut off. It must have been running on low, because it couldn't reach the shut off temp of 167F. I let it run for about 15 minutes before turning the car off.

I shut the bonnet and turned off the engine. The fan stopped running and the turbo water pump was not running either. Knowing I gave it sufficient cool down time, I was very interested in the bonnet temps.

The max temperature on the bonnets hot spot only reached 145F. That's a all time low!! So there is hope of having safe temps after shutdown.

My water pump usually runs for up to five minutes after engine off, but I can only recall the fan running twice after engine off.

Thanks to all of you participating in my quest for coolness.
How do you check if your water pump runs? My fan turns on everytime after I drive, but I sitll get blazing bonnet.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mataku
How do you check if your water pump runs? My fan turns on everytime after I drive, but I sitll get blazing bonnet.

hold your head near your grill and you can hear it (if the fan doesn't drown out the sound)

Old 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
I've never had the turbo water pump shut off before the fan. Once your fan stops, you should be able to hear the high pitch whine. It's not very loud, but you will know it's running.

It sounds like me whining about how hot my bonnet gets.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gee--maybe I'd better spend more time closely listening. All I've ever heard was a cool-sounding whine AS I shut down the engine. Sort of like a jet engine spooling down, although much faster. I've never had the fan continue to run in this or any car since our 70's era Audi Fox, when this kind of cooling fan was pretty new to automotive design. And I can't hear anything else. I'll have to risk third degree burns and put my ear on the hood.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:03 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Following is qualified by fact that I don't know if my temps are normal on my MCSa - it gets pretty darn hot, but I can touch the 'spot' for a second or so (no sizzling sounds, lol), even after 5-10m. Where can I get a good general purpose thermometer that I can also use around the house? Anyhow:

1. Yes. Seems to be about 45 seconds every time.
2. Yes. Timed it once, about 8m 20s.
3. Not sure. I'll make a point of checking. Seems like it comes on after.
4. Week 34 (8/24/07)
5. No.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 PM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arnbut
I've recorded temps as high as 325 degrees on the Flying Squirrel. I'll start recording temps from Arthur for you to compare.
Except for the annoying smell of "burnt cat" that Arthur produced at high altitude running in Colorado and Utah (9000+feet), Arthur has been relatively trouble-free.
there is still the issue of hotfoot though. Temps at the center pillar run a nominal 130 degrees. Ouch.

My MINI has a SC not a turbo but I can tell just by this photo that a 500 cat converter (or something real hot) could certainly be making under hood temps sky high - no? I mean I see a shield on it and all but still... on my Audi TT (other fat car) there's a turbo tucked down behind the engine, against the firewall and that thing gets blazing hot.. the cat convertors are lower still in the car... I'm guessing the heat dissipates better than a cat convertor right against the hood... maybe i'm wrong and that 02 sensor line coming out isn't in a catalytic convertor but then there's the hot turbo right there as well... ouchness

http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm

Old 10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pastabatman
...Where can I get a good general purpose thermometer that I can also use around the house? ...
Sears has a bunch here.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
daffodildeb, mataku & korby,

Have you all had a chance to call Laurie B at MINI Customer Relations and your local dealer about our blazing bonnets? 1-800-831-1117 and ask for Laurie B at extension 6274, or transfer there directly.

I'm dying to know if yout get the standard "I've never heard of this before" response.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
mataku
5th Gear
daffodildeb, mataku & korby,

Have you all had a chance to call Laurie B at MINI Customer Relations and your local dealer about our blazing bonnets? 1-800-831-1117 and ask for Laurie B at extension 6274, or transfer there directly.

I'm dying to know if yout get the standard "I've never heard of this before" response.

Thanks!
I emailed customer relations, but they just told me to talk to my service department. I might have some time this weekend to go, we'll see if they have an availble spot though.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I'm kind of out of touch with the world--in another state...

Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
mataku, try the number if you have a couple minutes to spare.

When ever you get a chance daffodildeb; works for me.

I have sent the regional MINI rep a couple of emails, regarding the blazing bonnet, which have gone completely unanswered.
(But since the emails don't bounce back undeliverable, I know he's getting them.)

How do you get the attention of the regional MINI rep, when he's got his head buried in the ground and is pretending not to hear you?
Seriously, how?? I'm going to email him tonights temp readings.

The numbers for tonight are...
289.4 (143C) was just inside the scoop.
Ahhh winter is coming... the bonnet only made it to 212 tonight

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 PM
mataku
5th Gear
mataku, try the number if you have a couple minutes to spare.

When ever you get a chance daffodildeb; works for me.

I have sent the regional MINI rep a couple of emails, regarding the blazing bonnet, which have gone completely unanswered.
(But since the emails don't bounce back undeliverable, I know he's getting them.)

How do you get the attention of the regional MINI rep, when he's got his head buried in the ground and is pretending not to hear you?
Seriously, how?? I'm going to email him tonights temp readings.

The numbers for tonight are...
289.4 (143C) was just inside the scoop.
Ahhh winter is coming... the bonnet only made it to 212 tonight

Problem is I'm a bit hesitant to call w/o having actual numbers. I might just take the service, if I get a thermometer before then (unlikely) then I will call

Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
hold your head near your grill and you can hear it (if the fan doesn't drown out the sound)
Just don't put your ear to the hood scoop and get it crispy-fried.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
That's just it--on my car I NEVER hear the fan after I shut the engine off--total silence!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
mataku
5th Gear
Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
I suspect they are referring to the fuse for the engine fan, which, unless it has blown, won't have any effect. Unless there is another fan-related update, which is possible.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My MCS was built sometime in September. I have heard the fan run but not every time I park it. Water pump seems to run every time I shut off the car for about 8 minutes.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Well, you'd think I'd be hearing the same things you guys do, because Houston's about as hot as He-double hockey sticks.

Mine's a January build, too.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi Everyone,

Got to talk with my MINI regional manager this week. He has informed me that he spoke with the MINI engineers who say that 160F to 235F are safe bonnet temperatures for the car and under hood components.

Wheeew, that's a load off my mind.

Alright, seriously though.... He did say that. So, I asked why are owners reporting their scoops are melting. He said that it's not that common an occurrence and are being replaced as needed.

So then I stopped by my dealer and talked with the SM who basically agreed with my comment of "until the engineers say it's too hot, it's not a problem".

Obviously MINI makes tweaks to components throughout the model year. I asked should I keep an eye out for changes related to the hot bonnet. He said MINI makes design changes all the time and wouldn't be surprised if one isn't made to reduce bonnet temps.

So, keep your eyes open; especially once the '08s are launched.

Until a change is made, I still think our best options are to report it to the service department, MINI 1-800-831-1117 x6274 and NHTSA.

-Jinxy

Old 11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi everyone.

Sorry for no updates over the last week, I was on holiday down in Grand Cayman all week.

The weather was great, from what I can remember... we had a $700 bar bill .

I'll continue to post my temp readings this week.

I have all the parts for my manual fan switch mod that I am planning. I'll post pics once I start the project.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Hi everyone.

Sorry for no updates over the last week, I was on holiday down in Grand Cayman all week.

The weather was great, from what I can remember... we had a $700 bar bill .
YOU DIRTY RAT! How was the diving? Or were you too plastered?

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop