Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pmsummer
Have you listed your ownership with MINI? In the Driver's Lounge (after you've registered as the new owner) you can download the service history (IIRC).
I'm on there now and all it shows is one service for an oil change. I called the dealership and inquired if that was correct and was told there are two more oil changes that are not on there. It doesn't show any other thing done to it under Service Log on the owners’ site.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
ISDE94
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They already had one painted and ready for installation. I was in and out of the dealership in less then one hour.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CA94960
I'm on there now and all it shows is one service for an oil change. I called the dealership and inquired if that was correct and was told there are two more oil changes that are not on there. It doesn't show any other thing done to it under Service Log on the owners’ site.
Make sure they have you down for the recall on the 24th. It's only about a one hour job, but make sure they have the parts in stock. It's really a pretty serious issue (remote danger of an underhood fire after parked). They won't be able to replace the hood scoop at your first visit, as they have to paint it, and they have to inspect it first (unless they happen to have a pre-painted one in stock).

Any wind-noise from the sunroof? Fuel gauge accurate? Any engine rattle when you start the car (timing chain tensioner)? These are all thing I just had replaced under warranty that there are service bulletins for.

Last edited by pmsummer; 07-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ISDE94
They already had one painted and ready for installation. I was in and out of the dealership in less then one hour.
Excellent. I had to wait three weeks for it to come it.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Make sure they have you down for the recall on the 24th. It's only about a one hour job, but make sure they have the parts in stock. It's really a pretty serious issue (remote danger of an underhood fire after parked). They won't be able to replace the hood scoop at your first visit, as they have to paint it, and they have to inspect it first.

Any wind-noise from the sunroof? Fuel gauge accurate? Any engine rattle when you start the car (timing chain tensioner)? These are all thing I just had replaced under warranty that there are service bulletins for.
They already replaced the rear sunroof motor under warranty. So far everything is alright - and I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. I will call the dealership on Monday and tell the tech I noticed my hood scoop was dipping and would like it replaced, along with the heat shield. The tech seems cool, as he didn't sell me the car and his part of the dealership gets the business.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm on my third chrome hood scoop, and one warped even with the new insulating shield underneath. However, this one seems okay so far....maybe due to the new turbo water pump recall? Not sure. In any case, mine seem to begin with a bit of cracking/peeling on the finish. MINI dealer never blinked when I wanted it replaced; it didn't have to be a "worse" degree of warped for them to replace it. I'm keeping an eye on this one. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
I brought my MINI to the dealer for the hood scoop to be replaced yesterday. They didn't bat an eye and told me they would put a new one on and add some insulation and a shield and with the new one being painted I would get a loaner until the next day. I got a call last night before closing time telling me my car would be ready today when the paint was dry. So far I am very happy with the service of my local MINI dealer!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear
So how long is it going to take before my hood scoop warps? I've only had him for 3 weeks, but I've already noticed that I can't touch the hood after I've been driving. Does this happen on every Mini or did I just get lucky?

Last edited by NinjaTurtle; 07-28-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle
So how long is it going to take before my hood scoop warps? I've only had him for 3 weeks, but I've already noticed that I can't touch the hood after I've been driving. Does this happen on every Mini or did I just get lucky?
Did your MINI come with the new metal shield under your scoop?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear
Nope.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtle
Nope.
Under hood doesn't look like this?

This is the latest two-piece hood protector from MINI as retrofit to mine under warranty a couple of weeks ago.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
CA94960
4th Gear

This is the latest two-piece hood protector from MINI as retrofit to mine under warranty a couple of weeks ago.
Mine got the same thing under warranty last Tuesday - and they gave me a loaner until it was finished.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear

No...nothing like that. One thing I just noticed that seems odd. I just got home after driving for about 30 minutes and I was actually able to touch the hood. It wasn't that hot. Went inside for about 5 minutes and when I came out to confirm there was no heat shield I almost burned my finger on the hood. It seems like it was OK while the car was moving but now that it's stationary it's heated up.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear
This is what mine looks like.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Well... I don't know (yet again).

You might ask the SA when you take it in next time. It might have been left off, or MINI may feel they've licked the problem.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear

Here's the holes in the new scoop. It's a fake scoop no longer!

I placed a reflective vest behind it for better visibility in the bottom photo. No, I didn't leave it in there. ;-)

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM
gibaholic
1st Gear

Just installed the OEM heat shield yesterday. Anyone else notice intake air temp increases 5-10 degrees and the ambient air temp goes up at well. Read with ultra-gauge.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear
I just ordered one from WMW.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hypothetically, since the scoop is non-functional, would a hood from a base Cooper be a direct swap? Just curious...

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fizzyx
Hypothetically, since the scoop is non-functional, would a hood from a base Cooper be a direct swap? Just curious...
Yes it would (and I've thought about that, because I like the "justa Q-ship" look), but...

The revised scoop has holes to allow cooling, both while in motion, and at rest. The turbo gets a lot hotter than BMW thought it would. I would be a little nervous about even the paint on the hood. A little nervous.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it would (and I've thought about that, because I like the "justa Q-ship" look), but...

The revised scoop has holes to allow cooling, both while in motion, and at rest. The turbo gets a lot hotter than BMW thought it would. I would be a little nervous about even the paint on the hood. A little nervous.
Thanks. Looking at buying a 2009 model that has a warped scoop. Has a bit of warranty left and the owner has inquired about getting it fixed but the dealer has said that since so may cars have had the problem, Mini isn't covering the fix anymore. Wtf?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Thanks. Looking at buying a 2009 model that has a warped scoop. Has a bit of warranty left and the owner has inquired about getting it fixed but the dealer has said that since so may cars have had the problem, Mini isn't covering the fix anymore. Wtf?
That is simply BS. Being as it's MINI Canada, I can't say for sure how they are handling the problem, but "it's not a problem because it's so common" wouldn't stand up very well in court.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
The cheaper (than a hood) permanent solution is a JCW carbon fibre scoop. May not go well with all colour schemes.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
NinjaTurtle
3rd Gear
pmsummer...or anyone else who may be able to help...

I received my heat shield from Way Motor Works today but I'm having a bit of an issue installing it. If you look at the pic I posted of my hood you'll notice that in the center of the back side of the scoop opening there is a metal upright in the middle of the opening. The shield has a cut-out in the middle that I assume is supposed to fit around that metal piece. The problem is, the cut-out is only about 3/4" and the upright is over 1" wide. Can you tell on the one that you had installed by the dealer how wide the upright and cut-out are? The site said that there was no cutting necessary, but that doesn't appear possible unless I am totally missing something.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Wow - somebody needs to tell my dealership in California because last month they got me a new hood scoop, painted it, installed the new insulation and metal shield and gave me a free loaner MINI for two days while they had my car - my cost $0.

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop