Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FugitiveAI - The burning hot bonnet issue appears to limited to be limited to just manual transmission models.
Is yours a manual (MCSm) or auto (MCSa)??

Let's see a pic of those new wheels on your Mini

EDIT: Opps wrong thread, there's a duplicate running in Cooper Talk (2007+ )

New EDIT: I had the duplicate thread moved to Stock Problems/Issues , since I started that one.

Last edited by Jinxy; 09-29-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
FugitiveAI & aem421 - The burning hot bonnet issue appears to be limited to just manual transmission models.
Is yours a manual (MCSm) or auto (MCSa)??
FugitiveAI, let's see a pic of those new wheels on your Mini

Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Jinxy,
Where did you buy your car? I noticed that you Ordered 6/29 -- Delivered 8/1. I ordered mine from Tate on 6/30 and picked it up on 8/31.
aem421 - I got ordered mine from Mini of Towson. They were great to work with.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
korby -- I'm going to start logging my temps and posting them here once a day. Care to join the campain? Plus you'll get to use your new toy every day. It will be something like:

Morning Commute
Start bonnet temp: ----- 75F
Dest. bonnet temp: ----- 140F
Dest. b-temp +5 minutes: 205F

Evening Commute
Start bonnet temp: ----- 87F
Dest. bonnet temp: ----- 150F
Dest. b-temp +5 minutes: 210F

Let me know what you think.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone noticed a correlation between the heat measurement and the length of the trip (beyond normal warmup)? I'm thinking of a trip greater than 150 miles, for example, vs. a city commute.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
korby
6th Gear
What bugs me is I'll drop my son off wednesdays for his youth group round trip is about 1.5 miles ,slowly ,I'll get back and it's flamin' hot !I dont get past 35 MPH or above 3000 RPM's ,I would'nt think the turbo is even in use .

Old 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a better IR thermometer on order (mine tops out at 250 and I want one for cooking anyway -- Alton Brown is my guru) and I want to take some temp readings, as I'm planning on doing some unblocking.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
I have the same results as korby. 20 mile commute yeilds the same results as 5 or 50.

If the engine is running, the turbo is spinning. Granted, if you just ran the car hard, more heat will be generated, but it's still pumping hot exhaust gas thru the turbine either way.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
dwdyer -- Are you saying your bonnet is getting close to 250?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
swolfgang
1st Gear
pic of "functinal hood scoop"

Picked my manual MCS up thurday night and have been driving the crud out of it(250 miles) I was aware of this issue and asked my MA if the hood scoop was functional and he said no. When I looked at it every other row was open. I have been feeling the area around the scoop after each drive(keeping under 4500 rpms) it is warm, bot not hot to the touch. I am going to try to get a temp gauge as I like gadgets. I went to my friends house tonight to show him my car and he has a 2004 MCS. The scoop is wider with no slats at all. He had a few bugs on his intercooler but no big deal. So what is the point of the grill?
Wolfgang

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop-img_08981.jpg  

Last edited by swolfgang; 09-30-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy
I have the same results as korby. 20 mile commute yeilds the same results as 5 or 50.

If the engine is running, the turbo is spinning. Granted, if you just ran the car hard, more heat will be generated, but it's still pumping hot exhaust gas thru the turbine either way.
Good to know. I've got a trip coming up--will be 10 hours per day, 4 days running...

Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by swolfgang
Picked my manual MCS up thurday night and have been driving the crude out of it(250 miles) I was aware of this issue and asked my MA if the hood scoop was functional and he said no. When I looked at it every other row was open. I have been feeling the area around the scoop after each drive(keeping under 4500 rpms) it is warm, bot not hot to the touch. I am going to try to get a temp gauge as I like gadgets. I went to my friends house tonight to show him my car and he has a 2004 MCS. The scoop is wider with no slats at all. He had a few bugs on his intercooler but no big deal. So what is the point of the grill?
Wolfgang
i remember reading somewhere that they only open a few slots due to some sort of airflow/pressure issue... but im not for certain so someone please clarify!!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 AM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
holey

They replaced my scoop, one with the holes in it even, at 3500 miles because it was melted and deformed. When the new one came in I made sure the tech checked for the ventilation holes in it, and since the replacement didn't have any he put the grill out of my old one in the new scoop. The new one is chrome (I had to pay @$20 to get them to "upgrade") and seems to be holding up much better.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 AM
korby
6th Gear
I wonder if the open grill is a part you can buy ?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
I've got a better IR thermometer on order (mine tops out at 250 and I want one for cooking anyway -- Alton Brown is my guru) and I want to take some temp readings, as I'm planning on doing some unblocking.
Alton's the man. He even rides a BMW motorcycle. That's almost sort of like a MINI. I'm sure he could rig up some sort of grill barbeque apparatus to change the MINI from a unitasker into a multitasker.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
I wondered the same thing. Also, would it be a waranty fix, due to under bonnet temp issues... I mean they changed it for a reason...
Its either that or break out the dremel

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by swolfgang
... I have been feeling the area around the scoop after each drive(keeping under 4500 rpms) it is warm, bot not hot to the touch. I am going to try to get a temp gauge as I like gadgets....
Wolfgang
sWolfgang -- You are correct, it's just warm right when you get out of the car. Give the bonnet 5 minutes, then check the area just above the scoop. When I start measuring the temp after I park, the IR Thermometer shows the temps climbing (at certain times it climbs at 1 degree every 2 to 3 seconds). The temp climb slows once it get to 200F, but can creep up to 235F.

If yours isn't getting that hot, then maybe Mini has updated the ECU to make the fan and/or turbo water pump run a bit longer. When was yours manufactured?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
swolfgang
1st Gear
Took some temps today

Mine was manufactured 08/07 just got it.
I bought an infared temp today.
After a 20 minute spirited run I took temps every five minutes. (90 degrees F in Dallas today) The hottest temps where at fifteen minutes after stopping. One note the cooling pump thingee stayed on for only 30 seconds after turning the car off.
Temps:
158 F- at the hood directly above the sccop
170 F- at the junction of the hood and the scoop
152 F- on the top part of the scoop above the opening
165 F- pointing the temp gauge into the scoop, but at the middle portion which is blocked off.
203 F- pointing the temp gauge into the scoop into one of the openings.
135 F- at the bottom of the scoop
I could feel the very hot air venting from the scoop, kind of like a convection oven.
I am going to take some more temps to make sure everything was correct.
I read on a post that the dealer has a chrome scoop grill that is fully vented. I think I might get this soon.
Wolfgang

Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Wait a minute--have I been missing something from the beginning? That the temp problem isn't at operating speeds, but only after the car is stopped? I'm confused.

If the latter, what's the harm, other than a possible deformed scoop?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minicobra1
I wonder if un-corking the fake hood scoop would help lower engine compartment temps. I've seen somewhere on here where people have made or are making the hood scoop functional in hopes of increasing HP, but it may be a better benifit in just keeping overall engine bay temps down. Anyone on here have there hood scoop functional and try measuring temps?
I removed my scoop insert even though mine was partially open. I haven't checked it with a gauge of any sort, but I can tell you its as cool or cooler than the ambient air to the touch after a spirited drive. You can stand about two feet away from the opening and feel the heat oozing out, but the bonnet stays cool.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 AM
korby
6th Gear
If it's hot enough to warp the bonnet scoop what else is it cooking under there ? Rubber hoses , plastic bits ,paint ? Who knows what the running temp is , theres no temp gauge !

Last edited by korby; 10-01-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Its not that hot

I will have to check the build of my car but it has to be sometime march april . I bought mine off the dealor lot. (07 MCSm) . I drove yesterday around 40-50 miles and checked the hood. It was pretty cold. Infact, I was really expect it to warm up .

May be I am doing something wrong.

On a side note , the rubber door sealer at the top of the rear windshield on outside has come off a little in the center. Took it to the service, and they said they will have to replace it. Not a biggie but my $13k honda civic never went to the dealer apart from regular service while my mini has already been there 3 times in 2 months - albeit for trivial problems

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
This engine would be ideal for cooking on. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not--there is a whole book (can't remember the title) on cooking on car and truck engines, with food wrapped in foil. I actually tried this on vacation a couple of years ago, but it didn't work well due to the configuration and lack of heat in our rental van. Bet it would be different in the MINI, though.
You're probably thinking of this:

Unfortunately it seems to be out of print.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Yup, that's it. Original printing is now about $100-$150 (I have one); later printing was about $10.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is NOT a "Bonnet Scoop"!!

It is the MINI BBQ Grill attachment. It was supposed to be an add on option for $250, but instead was added to all the Cooper S models. Simply run your car for a few minutes, then place your frozen or thawed burger pattie onto the MINI Grill. Let stand 2 to 4 minutes (2 minutes = medium rare, 4 minutes = well done). You will be plesantly suprised by the tendor flavor locked in by the quick searing action of the MINI BBQ Grill. Best of all, your MINI burger will be healthier than normal due to the slanting of the grill forward. This allows all the colesterol soaked grease to drip forward and away from your miniburger!!

Don't forget to bring along condiments and buns, and store your meat in the refrigerated glove box on your way to the picnic!!

Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop