Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see the very slightest of a "dip" in mine--don't know if it's nothing, or the beginning of the problem. I put my SA on notice, and asked that she makes sure MINI knows that heat is a problem with the early MCS cars, like mine. She said she would (hah!), but that she'd had in fact replaced one car's scoop.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 PM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My scoop is getting worse and I open the bonnet when its in my garage .

Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Getting a heat resistant scoop is silly as the scoop is a small part of what could really be getting damaged. I say let your scoops melt so they have to keep replacing, this way at least it will gain more attention as they are losing some money.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my temps

After a long drive home, parked in the garage and measured max hood temps. I'm getting the hottest temps like others have descirbed, just above the hood scoop in the center of the hood. For reference, to start the very top of the hood near the windshield was 62F. Let's call that ambient. Then:

Immediately after shutting off the car, t=0 @ 91F
t=2min @ 139
t=4min @ 159
t=6min @ 164
t=8min @ 165
t=10min @ 164 (so peaked at about 165)

I did a previous temp run on Friday but they were much lower as the car had a cooling off period outside then a short trip to the garage. At that point though, peak temp was at 8min.

This is using a brand new IR thermometer.

BTW, up until about 6 min, what sounded like an electic coolant pump kept running. I didn't want to pop the hood and spoil my data. My car was made in September, but I don't have the exact date off the top of my head. How long are earlier cars running their coolant pump and/or fan? I don't think I saw this mentioned. I could also have lower temps just because of the lower ambient temp.

BTW, I also watched the washer fluid bubble out of my jets -- washer jets I hadn't used during the trip home. I have yet to remove the high alcohol content washer fluid.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Mine is a week 3 build--January--and I've never heard anything running after I shut it off. This includes the entire Houston summer.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
daffodildeb - The pump is very quiet. If you park outside, it's quite difficult to hear. I'd say put you ear to the bonnet, but then you would be mad at me for making you burn your ear.

I agree with mataku on this. I'm going to take a profile picture of my scoop. Then, at the first sign of warping, that baby is getting replaced, and replaced, and replaced.

johne123 - what was your ambient temp, 62ish i take??

Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Any blazing bonnet owners in Maryland should take their Mini to "Mini of Towson" and report the problem. They continue to tell me I'm the only one reporting the problem.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
I have a week 34 MCSa. It does get hot, but I don't think it's as extreme as has been reported. I can put my hand on the spot behind the scoop for several seconds without getting burned, even after it's set for 5-10 minutes. It's uncomfortable, but not the instant burn I'd expect from the reported temps. The fan runs loudly for a minute or so after I turn off the ignition. Not sure about the water pump. I wonder if we should start comparing run times for the fan and water pump?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinxy
johne123 - what was your ambient temp, 62ish i take??
Yes. However, I let the car sit in a closed 2 car garage. I'll keep testing this, but I don't think we're going to have any more 80 degree or higher days in Colorado this year.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
I'll keep testing this, but I don't think we're going to have any more 80 degree or higher days in Colorado this year.
Lucky dog! We're still waiting for temps to drop below 88-90. Seems to be stuck...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
All blazing bonnet owners,

I emailed Mini customer service, they spoke with my local service manager who says he spoke with the regional tech team. Apparently 235F is considered normal , as is 165F .

I might have to cook something on my bonnet and post it to youtube.
I'm pretty ticked at this point.

I have replied to customer service asking them to specifically tell me what the safe temperature range is of the bonnet. I completely expect them to ignore my request. I have also sent an email to a regional rep. requesting his assistance.

At this point I would like to suggest that anyone experiencing the blazing bonnet issue to contact MiniUSA's customer service at customerservice@askminiusa.com. The MINI Customer Relations Department's e-mail address is mini.assistance@askminiusa.com. Feel free to bust their chops as well. (told you I was ticked)

If I'm the only tool talking to Mini about my hot bonnet, then nothing is going to be done about it. You voice needs to be heard!!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:49 PM
korby
6th Gear

If I'm the only tool talking to Mini about my hot bonnet, then nothing is going to be done about it. You voice needs to be heard!!
You may be a tool but your our tool !Jus kidding . Thanks for all your effort I appreciate it .

Old 10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Okay, here is the email I wrote today:

"I am the owner of a January build R56 S, purchased from MINI of The Woodlands, TX. I am concerned about the high bonnet temperatures I and other R56 owners have noted. Specifically, the area immediately above the air scoop opening, after the car has been stopped for a few minutes. It is hot enough to literally melt the scoop on some of these cars (as noted on the North American Motoring--NAM--bulletin board). I suspect it is deforming mine as well, since I note a small depression in the area.

It is my understanding that the early-build cars do not have a functional air scoop. Is there any way to convert the scoop so that air cools the engine more efficiently? Is there a way to program the cooling fans to function longer after the engine has been shut off?

Deborah King"

Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Robb's 07 Red MCS
2nd Gear
Am taking my car to the local dealer here in Kaiserslautern to have another shield/shroud built from the same material as the exhaust/catalytic heat shield. The factory turbo/exhaust manifold heat shield will remain in-place; this new piece will bolt directly above it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above. It "should" absorb a great deal of the heat before it gets to the hood. If it works, the dealer is going to notify BMW for a world-wide fix.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
mataku
5th Gear

I emailed Mini customer service, they spoke with my local service manager who says he spoke with the regional tech team. Apparently 235F is considered normal , as is 165F .

'

Ask them, if it's normal then why are the scoops melting?

Originally Posted by Robb's 07 Red MCS
Am taking my car to the local dealer here in Kaiserslautern to have another shield/shroud built from the same material as the exhaust/catalytic heat shield. The factory turbo/exhaust manifold heat shield will remain in-place; this new piece will bolt directly above it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above. It "should" absorb a great deal of the heat before it gets to the hood. If it works, the dealer is going to notify BMW for a world-wide fix.
Great update, let us know how it goes

Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
korby & mataku - Hopefully you've already sent one, but if not... Please send an email to Mini regarding our blazing bonnet problem. Thanks guys!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear

I have replied to customer service asking them to specifically tell me what the safe temperature range is of the bonnet. I completely expect them to ignore my request. I have also sent an email to a regional rep. requesting his assistance.

At this point I would like to suggest that anyone experiencing the blazing bonnet issue to contact MiniUSA's customer service at customerservice@askminiusa.com. The MINI Customer Relations Department's e-mail address is mini.assistance@askminiusa.com. Feel free to bust their chops as well. (told you I was ticked)

I emailed the first link and got this response:

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for writing MINI. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your bonnet's temperature.

Unfortunately, I am not able to advise you in a technical matter via e-mail. However, I would suggest speaking directly with the service manager at your preferred MINI dealer about the concerns you have with the temperatures of your bonnet. The service manager has access to MINI engineering and regional representatives who are in the best position to review your concerns.

I apologize for any frustration this has caused. If there are further questions I can assist with, please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I will be happy to lend a hand.

LET’S MOTOR.
Meg Brown
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
866.ASK.MINI (275-6464)

About what I expected.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the dealer to have the Sirius retrofit kit installed. I told them about the sag in my scoop. The service adviser said they will order a new one under warranty.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ianparcher
I went to the dealer to have the Sirius retrofit kit installed. I told them about the sag in my scoop. The service adviser said they will order a new one under warranty.
Yes, but did you ask him why your scoop was melting and what they are going to do to fix the cause?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 PM
scott48
6th Gear
My M.A. e-mailed me back and said that they have not heard of such issue, and no one has come in to have a deformed/melted hood scoop. He said he'll keep his eyes open for any info popping up.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Yes, but did you ask him why your scoop was melting and what they are going to do to fix the cause?
I said that the under hood temp did it. He didn't really acknowledged it when I said this. He didn't give me any issues at all about replacing it. So it looks like they know something.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi everyone,

Well MiniUSA and my dealer both say the 235F on the bonnet are normal and 286F in the scoop is normal as well.

I have point blank asked them verbally and via email what the Mini service manual states the safe temperature range is for both items. I am now being ignored. No response from either contact since initiating this request yesterday afternoon.

Tonight, I have recorded a max in-scoop temp of 148C, which translates to 298.4F ! ! ! ! I guess that's normal too. I'll post the pic as soon as Comcast gets FTP back up and running.

For your entertainment, I am going to place popcorn kernels at the bonnet seam tomorrow night to see if any pop. I will record the event and post to youtube if successful and the link to it here. Popcorn's average popping temp is about 180C, which I have yet to see that area reach. But hey, I'm gonna try anyway.

If that doesn't work, maybe some tin foil in the same area and cooking eggs. Mmmm, delicious!

Ahhh - FTP is back up ...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
The high scoop temps are clearly within design spec, as evidenced in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYNoDNYSqU

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
daffodildeb - sorry about that email address.

Yes that is the same canned response I received from Meg as well.

The email address I did get a concerned response
from was CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com .

But they quickly back pedaled to these temps are "normal", but have yet to answer why all MCS's aren't experiencing these same "normal" temps.

I specifally asked them:
Can you confirm what Mini/BMW has specified as the safe temperature range of the '07 MCS bonnet?
At this point, I can only interpret their lack of response must mean "no".
But...they could still come thru with a response.
My fingers are crossed and hoping for the best.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
The high scoop temps are clearly within design spec, as evidenced in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYNoDNYSqU
They beat me to it

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop