Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Problem with brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 PM
journeyman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with brake pedal

Hi,

I have a problem with a brake pedal on my MCS and hopefully someone can point me in a right direction. I have searched but found nothing similar. Normally when a car is not running and if you would press a brake pedal then after about three pushes it would go firm. But my problem is:

- I turn off the engine (and not even touch a brake pedal after that) and go out of the car
- then after a while when I'm back in my car a brake pedal is alredy firm and it happens almost every time.

It seems like to me like something is leaking. But the strange part is that when the engine is on I can press and hold brake pedal and it will stay in the same position... Does anyone have something similar or have some ideas what it could be?

Thanks and wish you all a nice day

Old 09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by journeyman
...- I turn off the engine (and not even touch a brake pedal after that) and go out of the car
- then after a while when I'm back in my car a brake pedal is alredy firm and it happens almost every time.
Sounds normal to me in fact it suggests a lack of leak in the vacuum assist. I assume this is not a change in any way from something that was happening before. Just a description of what happens with your car?

First time I think we've gotten any concern over a hard pedal. <G>

Rich

Old 09-29-2007, 12:37 PM
journeyman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if that this is normal (I don't recall that it's always been like this).
Normally when you get in the car you press brake pedal and then clutch in and you start the car. It's kind of anoying when the brake pedal is rock solid... I regulary drive two other cars and this is not the case in both cars. Even if they stand for few days - after I get in and press the pedal I can hear the air going out and have to press it for two or three times to use the whole air and only then pedal becomes firm. But in MINI the pedal is already pumped if a car stands for less then an hour... It seems strange to me... Maybe someone could check how this is on other MINIs.

Last edited by journeyman; 10-01-2007 at 02:08 AM.