Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

'Official' R56 recalls?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Official' R56 recalls?

Is there a list somewhere of 'official' R56 recalls, and do these recalls vary by country? I'm asking because I read that there was a recall to replace the 30A fuse for the engine fan with a 40A. I have even read of more recent cars coming with a 40A fuse. After checking I discovered that my new Mini (picked up two weeks ago, but manufactured back in February) has a 30A fuse in this location. I decided to call the dealer because my car must have missed the recall. After providing my VIN, the service guy looked it up in the 'main computer' and informed me there have been no recalls on my vehicle.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it dont blow,-- Dont worry-- If it does -- bring it back to the dealer or pick up one for 50c.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
No recalls I am aware of. The fuse replacement is just being done as a matter of course wheneer you bring the car in for service. At least, that is my understanding.

A software upgrade is also being done, but that usually requires the car to be left overnight, so I presume they work with the owner to schedule that.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
If it dont blow,-- Dont worry-- If it does -- bring it back to the dealer or pick up one for 50c.
I was wondering if I would even know that it blew... I mean, unless the engine overheats, how would I know? Is there an error message if a fuse blows, or would the fan just not operate? I'm concerned that there will be additional engine wear before the heat sensor is tripped.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 PM
MiniWidower
1st Gear
If you park in a garage you should hear the fan kick in after the engine is turned off. Not every time - but if you live in a climate like Atlanta like I do it turns on about every other time it's parked. Only for a few minutes - but you'll know it.

:impatient That Darn Dog Done Stole My Wife's Car Again!!!:impatient

Hey Skuzzy - don't ya love that Nightfire Red!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My SA said the fuse was an issue only with Coopers. True?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
A software upgrade is also being done, but that usually requires the car to be left overnight, so I presume they work with the owner to schedule that.

what does the upgrade entail? i had heard about it and when i left for canada, i let GEMINI stay a few nights with her friends at the dealership.
they reprogrammed my emissions sensor, checked another light that had been coming on but not causing problems (brake sensor malfuncion - gear can be engaged w.o stepping on the brake - but it wasn't doing that, just the light was coming on), and they installed the bumper to boot protection strip for me, since none of my friends know how to pick stuff all the way up when they get crap out of my boot... i told them i had heard of some software upgrades, ie. one touch window up toggle etc. and either they didn't do it, or it's not out yet..

Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
oh ya, and they changed my fuse too

Old 10-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniWidower
If you park in a garage you should hear the fan kick in after the engine is turned off. Not every time - but if you live in a climate like Atlanta like I do it turns on about every other time it's parked. Only for a few minutes - but you'll know it.
I do park in a garage, but the warmest it has been since I picked the car up on October 6th is around 75 degrees. I have never heard the fan operate after the car is turned off. I do hear the buzz/hiss of what I assume is the water pump for the turbo, but that's about it.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 AM
MiniWidower
1st Gear
I really don't know about the "S" model - as Rosie is a standard Cooper. But I would think the heat handling after engine shutdown would be the same. I asked my MA at Global about the fan kicking in after the engine is shut off and he said it's normal. But it's been hotter here than 75 degrees. Believe me - if it kicks in after shutdown you'll know it!

Rosie - 07.5 Cooper - all packages known to man

Old 10-20-2007, 02:59 PM
at7815
3rd Gear
My car is a Week 14 build and I don't have the software upgrade which shows "Sport" when the Sport button is on and things like that. Would that be the upgrade you guys are talking about?

A one touch up for the windows would be lovely!!!! Anyone with a more recent build have this feature? If so, we should be able to bring in the car for service and get this done.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:33 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
one touch up windows isnt a programmable feature because there is no anti-trap mechanism or force limiter.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The fuse thing was a service bulletin. There is a range of VINs that get the change. Just because you have the 30 amp fuse it doesn't mean your MINI needs it. The service advisor will look up your VIN to see if it falls within range. I have the 30 amp fuse but my VIN wasn't in the range.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
ok so no update for the windows?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mommashine
ok so no update for the windows?

update? as in new news or updated windows?

nobody has reported having auto up windows yet.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
The auto up window (drive side ONLY!) will ONLY be available for the 2008 model year MINIs. And... According to MotoringFile it has been delayed and won't even be included in the first of the 2008 models. See here:

Auto-Up Windows Delayed for 2008

Also, if you're hoping for a retrofit (i.e. a software/firmware update that will implement this in the older MINIs), I wouldn't hold my breath. You're better off looking/hoping for an aftermarket solution.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
The fuse thing was a service bulletin. There is a range of VINs that get the change. Just because you have the 30 amp fuse it doesn't mean your MINI needs it. The service advisor will look up your VIN to see if it falls within range. I have the 30 amp fuse but my VIN wasn't in the range.
I'm going to make a call in to my dealer in the morning. My car just started overheating today. I found that 30A fan fuse...blown. The car is also low on coolant.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:39 AM
hpaco
2nd Gear
Auto up is not the same as one touch? I have one touch windows in the drivers side (up and down), and only down in the passenger side. But I´m in mexico.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know if this is the proper post for this, but this afternoon an 08 justa cooper overheated across from where I work. I went over to see what the matter was and the engine was so hot that it melted the oil fill cap and it fell down inside the engine. Oil and water were spraying all over the engine compartment. The owner said the fan was running when they opened the hood. The fire department showed up and cooled things down. The car had 6,000 miles on it and was purchased in May. The owner called roadside assistance and they are bringing it back to NW Mini for repairs

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I don't know if this is the proper post for this, but this afternoon an 08 justa cooper overheated across from where I work. I went over to see what the matter was and the engine was so hot that it melted the oil fill cap and it fell down inside the engine. Oil and water were spraying all over the engine compartment. The owner said the fan was running when they opened the hood. The fire department showed up and cooled things down. The car had 6,000 miles on it and was purchased in May. The owner called roadside assistance and they are bringing it back to NW Mini for repairs
This would have been good as a stand alone post in "Stock Problems/Issues"... It sounds like something good to discuss...

Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hpaco
Auto up is not the same as one touch? I have one touch windows in the drivers side (up and down), and only down in the passenger side. But I´m in mexico.
have you tried it with the door closed? it doesn't work if it's open

Old 09-16-2008, 06:13 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
The owner called roadside assistance and they are bringing it back to NW Mini for repairs
Repairs? Sounds like it'll need a whole new engine, and more depending on how the FD cooled it down.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM
ecupip
3rd Gear
The 08's have auto up on both windows or at least mine does :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Something is BAD wrong with this scenario. Even the worst case scenario over-heating event should not end up as catastrophic as this post suggests. There was something WAAAAY wrong with this car.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Krieg
Something is BAD wrong with this scenario. Even the worst case scenario over-heating event should not end up as catastrophic as this post suggests. There was something WAAAAY wrong with this car.
After thinking about this last night, I don't think the valve cover melted and the oil cap fell inside. I think the oil cap was missing and oil splashed out of the fill hole onto the exhaust manifold and overheated the engine and possibly started a small fire. Part of the valve cover was melted and all of the spark plug wires were burned off. I hope I can talk to the owner to see if she added oil recently and could have left the cap off.