Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Stalling, CEL, airbag & fuel lights...what's going on?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:23 AM
Mike Solo
|
Neutral
Stalling, CEL, airbag & fuel lights...what's going on?!

Hello all!

I have an 07 Cooper that has just over 1000 km on it, I literally just picked it up from the dealer about 3 weeks ago. I traded in my old 2002 Cooper for it, and I'm already wondering if I made a mistake.

Last week, while still on the full tank of gas provided by the dealership, I got the "loose gas cap" warning light. (In the VW/Audi world, we call this a "Swedish Chef" light, as it looks like the Swedish Chef from the muppets is sticking out of the side of your car! )

Anyway, the light went away, so I thought nothing of it. A few days later, it came back and went away again. Then, when I started the car later that day, it came on, immediately followed by a non-flashing check engine light. The passenger air-bag light by the sunroof then decided to start intermittently flashing on and off.

Directly related to this, the car will not start after you open the fuel door and put fuel into the car. I've now added fuel to the car twice, and both times afterwards, I try to start her and I'm greeted by a series of rapid clicking. This lasts for roughly 5 to 10 minutes before it finally starts back up again.

Finally, only 3 occasions now, at low speeds the RPMs have fluctuated and suddenly dropped, causing the car to stall.

Obviously I'm going to take this into the dealership, but I was curious if anyone had run into these issues or what to expect from the dealership. Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, maybe a clogged injector? Although the RPM drop makes me wonder if it's a software issue.

Either way, I'm very frustrated as this is a brand new car and I'm already having problems with it.

Old 10-22-2007 | 04:43 PM
enmejia
Neutral
Stall problems

I have a similar issue with my 2 months old 2007 MCS. It stalled in the middle of the higway and didn't want to start again. The car has been in the dealer for 2 weeks now and they don't have any clue of what the problem is. They have already changed the fuel pump, reprogram the computer, change the spark plugs and nothing...very frustrating...

Old 10-25-2007 | 12:38 AM
coopselt
3rd Gear
EVERY problem in the book

I've owned my 2005 mcsa for a year and a half now. 22K miles now. Since day one, I've had studdering, hesitation, bucking, Service engine soon light on and off, even the red engine light couple times, gone into "limp home mode" (trust me, you can't get home in that mode), and plain ole stalling while driving down H-1.
I actually had enough after the last stall while driving down to Waikiki. I turned around, and headed to the dealer. After "talking" to everyone who would listen, showing them the several page printout of the troubles I've had, the head mechanic finally asks me where I get gas. I told him, and I'm very loyal to my military run gas stations, but he made it clear that they have had lots of problem with gas from there. Samples sometimes resulted in 15% ethonal (supposed to be 10% max). He told me to go to .... to get gas. I did. Quarter tank and 100 miles later, service engine light soon light went out, and stayed out. My hesitations stopped. IT RAN PERFECTLY!!!! Not one problem with it running since then. (been two months so far)

So, to make a long story short (yeh, too late, I know), change gas stations. See what happens.

Oh, and I've also had a new intercooler installed, new alternator, new speedometer, new volt meter (for gages above steering wheel), new computer that controls lights and whatnot (x2 as they replaced it with a non-updated version first time), numerous I CANT STAND MY WINDOWS Squeeling when it's wet out, squeaks/rattles/all kinds of noises, and sure lots more that I can't think of right now,

But, you know, bottom line, I LOVE driving this car. When it isn't plain pissing me off...

Old 10-25-2007 | 07:17 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Check out www.toptiergas.com. Works for me.

Old 10-25-2007 | 10:25 PM
coopselt
3rd Gear
yup

76 is what I use now

Old 10-26-2007 | 10:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Are you sure it isn't the well-known Cooper problem that just needs the program update?

Old 01-28-2008 | 12:55 PM
Mike Solo
|
Neutral
Bump. The Mini has been to the dealership & back twice now, they cannot solve any of these issues, and they come back the day we get the car back from them.

I'm dropping it off a third time, and then I'm going to get it taken away under the PA state Lemon Law.

And it's not the brand of gas, it's the same result no matter what station or what type of gas. I have a turbo R32, so I make sure I put the best of what's available in that, the Mini has the issues with the same gas that lets the R make over 400 BHP.

I am getting rid of this car ASAP and never, ever looking back to this brand again. Worst ownership experience I've ever had with a car.

Old 01-29-2008 | 09:23 AM
jimsevo8
2nd Gear
If the car won't start right after you fill it with fuel it might be the purge valve sticking open. This is the valve that vents the vapors from the gas tank into the intake manifold. If this sticks open when you are filling the car with gas, all the vapors from the tank go into the intake instead of the charcoal canister and you basically have a flooded car. Then after about 10-15 mins the vapors escape from the intake and the car starts normally....

Old 01-29-2008 | 09:52 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
The "clicking" noise makes it sound like maybe the fuel pump is on the fritz?

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:05 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
i havent seen it mentioned, and i maybe asying something really dumb, but its worht a shot cuz the problems u mention are what i was warned by my dealer...are you doing the "clicking 7-10 times" thing after you fill up your gas with the gas cap?

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:09 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
clicking 7-10 times with the gas cap? The way mine is you can only twist and click it once...then it doesn't turn any further...i'm assuming his is the same? I didn't think any Mini's or BMW's for that matter still had the multiple click gas caps...i know my 03 330xi didn't either.

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:14 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
yeah well it only clicks once but you have to like click once then push again and lcick and again the click again....kinda just close, click to the right and keep clicking to the right ( its like starting car you know keep turning it back and forth back and forth) like ten times, that increases some kind of pressure or something and its what prevents the lighting and not starting of the car
im sure if you do this you will not have any problems with the car anymore, and im surprised your dealer hasnt mentioned that to you

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:15 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
im sorry if my explanation doesnt make sense, when it clicks once and goes back to its position, click it again, then click it agian, and repeate 7-10 times...

Old 02-07-2008 | 09:44 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
when my dealer told me this i was like umm...okay a few clicks is gonna make a difference? he said its enough for the computer to not read a leak and assume there is enough pressure in teh tank....so i would definately get mad at your dealer if he didnt tell u this, amongst your ohter things.

Old 02-13-2008 | 03:47 PM
fronjoni
4th Gear
ever fix ur probleM?

Old 02-22-2008 | 11:46 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
never heard of a gas cap doing that but i have heard of people trying to top off tanks with evap systems causing fuel to go down the vent pipe and flood the valve.

i know the earlier model minis had an issue with the gas pedal like mine causing the same issues your telling me. when and if it happens again...cycle the key 3-4 times and see what happens when you start it again. i dont know if you can slide out the pedal in the 07 like there early models but if you can, take it out and give it a few light taps on a solid surface and reinstall. worked for me and havent had a issue since...but this could be totally unrelated