Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

ABS+DSC Gone~??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
diaemus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS+DSC Gone~??

So, I picked up my car Monday and I was driving it around on tuesday and all of a sudden a warning comes up on the navigation screen that says theres a malfunction with the DSC and ABS systems. I wasnt pushing it or anything (still only has 248 miles) Anyone have this issue, can it be remedied without going to the dealer (4 hours away)? The car has been absolutely awesome and drives just fine, its just that everytime I start it I get a stupid warning and the lights in the tach never go out. Also, today it said hill assist wouldnt work and my brakepad's sensor had a problem. :(

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I think that you will have to take itto the dealer for waranty repair.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is a fairly common problem , it is due to a module called SZL which controls other functions such as turn signal cancellation and windshield wiper cancellation. not an immediate problem to be conserned with , they will replace the module under warrenty.

Last edited by djam43; 10-26-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
That's the one. I was going to post about a module this afternoon but I couldn't remember the name of it.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So I knew there was something related when my abs / dsc lights came on and my auto wipers froze at the same time. It almost caused me to crash. I tapped the brakes and the lights went off. This has happened 7 times over the last couple of days. I did find a controlled curve and with the lights off and everything seeming to function properly put the car into an overstear and the DSC kicked in and worked like a charm so I guess the module needs to be replaced. I have an appt next Wed so hopefully this will be the problem.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And, while the DSC is indeed inop, the ABS is still there. The "brake" indication is the idiot light for the parking brake. Trust me--I've had to use the ABS lately! The wipers are minor since engine starting "fixes them", but the turn signals are indeed a nuisance.

All noted, and easily fixed. Actually, the hardest part WAS getting the part--mine was "special" because of the particular options I had bought, so the SZL for mine took a little longer. I suspect there will be a lot of these things going out. Hope they don't make you go in for a "diagnosis" visit first as they did for me--it was uncommon when mine went out!

Last edited by daffodildeb; 10-24-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup. sounds like the SZL problem. Easy fix. Hopefully they have the part in stock. Takes about 2.5 hours labor to correct.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
I started reading this thread earlier this week and today the warning lights for bakes and DSC lit up...At least I know what the problem is. Thanks to all who posted.

p.s. Is this a recurring problem? Will the module fail again?

Last edited by BritBoy; 10-26-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
I just got back from the dealership on the same problem. Be warned the repair tech told me its a problem in most of the r56 s.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
p.s. Is this a recurring problem? Will the module fail again?
Boy, I wish I knew. Any way we can find out?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
I was wondering if anyone who has had the module replaced, has had the problems reoccur?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 AM
diaemus
2nd Gear
I finally got it to Classic Mini in Cleveland. The guy said the ABS module went bad, he ordered me one from Jersey, and I go tomorrow to get it installed

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
LittleLord
1st Gear
Same problem with my ASC/ABS/Brake

Sounds like I have the same problem minus the turn signal and headlight issues mentioned. My '07 MCS has about 90 miles on it -- just got it 3 days ago -- and had the yellow ABS, Brake, and ! ligts on the tach come on along with the center ((ABS)) message on the tach. Car seems to be driving fine with no noticable changes in braking or traction.

Will take it to the dealer tomorrow morning and report back later. Thanks to the forum I now at least have an idea of what the problem may be.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Gee, I hope it's not the SZL--if it is, it would suggest that they didn't change anything on the current assembly line; hence, it could fail again.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 AM
LittleLord
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Gee, I hope it's not the SZL--if it is, it would suggest that they didn't change anything on the current assembly line; hence, it could fail again.
When I dropped it off yesterday, the Service Advisor said it could be the SZL module or a bad ASC pump. I should find out and get it back later today.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
LittleLord
1st Gear
Heard back from my dealer's service advisor today. Apparently the problem with mine is a sticking valve in the ASC pump. This pump controls the ABS and the traction control systems. It has 6 valves and one is sticking. Since it's a sealed pump, they can't take it apart and replace the valve, so they order a whole new pump. One more day and I'll have my MINI back.

Brand new, so it's under warranty, but I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 PM
58driver
2nd Gear
I had the SZL go out in my car as well. My service rep said that they had one roll off the truck from the factory with the same issue. I had them check out an annoying chirping sound like a bearing making noise at idle and I told them that I sometimes smelled fuel after the car has been run. They replaced a "lazy" tensioner and my fuel smell as it turns out wasn't a figment of my imagination. It was a leak from the direct injection pump. Fortunately it was on the low pressure side. He told me that this was the first he has ever heard of that pump failing and explained just how dangerous it could have been. I'm an ASE certified mechanic and understand completely how bad a fuel leak is but he said the high pressure side of the pump reaches a couple of THOUSAND psi! leaks on that side could sever a limb!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
We had a guy in Houston lose his garage and part of the house the other day due to one of the Ford recall fires. Can you imagine what that could have done with a well placed spark (or pilot light)?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM
58driver
2nd Gear
The funny thing with the SZL replacement is that I think I lost my intermit. wipers. They delay when I stop but go back to the low setting when I start moving. I don't remember if they did that before or if this is only after the reprogram. I was sure that they delayed on the first press and then the second was full on. I didn't drive in the rain much before this happened so I may be just ignorant.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BritBoy
Is this a recurring problem? Will the module fail again?
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Boy, I wish I knew. Any way we can find out?
Drive your car nonstop for the next two months, Deb, and see what happens. That should give the rest of us a pretty good idea.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:49 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 58driver
The funny thing with the SZL replacement is that I think I lost my intermit. wipers. They delay when I stop but go back to the low setting when I start moving. I don't remember if they did that before or if this is only after the reprogram. I was sure that they delayed on the first press and then the second was full on. I didn't drive in the rain much before this happened so I may be just ignorant.
No, you didn't lose them. They just were relocated--to the end of the stalk--just push. At least that's what happened with mine. I was pretty peeved at first, too, until I saw what had happened.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:24 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
call ahead if it is a long trip and tell them that you are having problems with it so it will be there when you take it in for service. call the parts department/not service.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 AM
58driver
2nd Gear
I'll have to retry the wipers when I get the chance. Thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
rskotl
1st Gear
What does SZL stand for? Im over in Germany and have been having the same problem, I have an appointment on Monday but I would like to be able to tell them what could be wrong being that most of the time they seem pretty clueless. It seems to me that the customer service over here is NON-Existent, I have to go, take the car in. They will give me a ride to work and then they can give me a loner car after they have kept my car for 2 hours, not, "if they know they will keep it for 2 hours give me one"...

Oh yeah, my wipers will only go either quick or really slow, should I talk to them at the dealership? I know about the button at the end of the stick BUT, when I press that it only makes them slower, doesnt make it, go/hold for a sec/go...