Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Flooded battery box

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flooded battery box

I went to put a new tire plug kit I got where the battery is. Then to my surprise I discorvered this

WTF My car is usually garaged and rarely see the rain. But I was in Maryland this weekend and it was raining the entire way down on Friday and the car was parked outside Friday night in the rain.

Anybody else have this problem? I was worried about something shorting out so first I took a pic so I can show the dealer then moped it up with a towel. Wished I had a shop vac. I'm sure if I popped out the battery vent tube grommet the water would easily drain out but I didn't want to fuss around with the shield under the exhaust.

After I cleaned up, I checked everywhere in the boot area for any signs of moisture. I checked inside the tail lights and it looks bone dry. Checked the foam under the hatch opening and again, bone dry.

I noticed some yellow residue inside the box though. I'm hoping it's just the cosmoline.

So for now I just propped up the boot floor with the tool kit and left the hatch open so it can completely dry out. Hopefully my dealer can find out what's wrong.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
...Anybody else have this problem?
On mine the brake light leaked. I don't think this problem is unusual. For me I noticed it when the boot mat was wet. I took the rear hatch apart and it was bone dry. The tail lights were also perfect.

I suggest starting with the tail light gasket.

Rich

Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always hop in the back with a flashlight and have a buddy hose the car down with a hose. That should reveal any obvious problems. Actually, that what the dealer will do. They'll have the runner drive and the tech ride in the back, then they'll run it through the car was a couple times. At least thats what we used to do back many moons ago!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
troot
Neutral
Yup,
It's a real shocker. I found the same thing this summer. I had seen water showing up on the upper inside rear RH side glass and had assumed that there was a leak some where in the roof seam. I pulled the headliner away from that area and found that the drain tube which connects the sun roof drain to the port above the rear hatch had become disconnected. It's just a small rubber tube pushed onto a metal nipple. The leak showed up on the glass, but ALSO filled the battery box. Looked like a sick fish tank. I'd bet you that's your problem.

Cheers,

Dave C.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
My car has the sunroof but I didn't noticed anything on the side glass. Maybe I'll check again later.

I just hope it's a simple fix.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I made a appointment with my dealer for later this week. It seems the box is dry so I put the boot floor back and closed the hatch. But I'm gonna ask my dealer to check under the battery for any signs of moisture or corrosion.

Oh, quick question. If you disconnect the battery, do you lose all your personal setting or just your clock and radio pre-sets?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you loose the ECM's adapted memory and clock.

your radio should be ok if it's only for a couple of min (at least on my 03 it was).

Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the problem. It was the seal on the rear window. I was able to fix it with some caulk (mine is out of warranty and I am cheap). So far, it hasn't leaked again in about 3 months and I drive it all the time in the rain. Eventually though, I suspect I will have to replace that whole seal. The best way to pinpoint the leak is to sit inside while someone sprays a lot of water on the rear window. It will take a pretty fair amount to replicate the leak if it is anything like mine was. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
I got back from the dealership this afternoon. The leak was traced back to the rear wiper. A simple swap of the grommet and she was good to go.

I'm still gonna keep an eye on the box in the future just to play it safe.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 PM
PGT
Banned
I've had this issue too, but never as bad. I've got the rear of my car stripped and just went through that same rain you did. Nothing. Two months ago when the interior was in, it was an inch deep.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
WTF it's wet again

I checked the box after driving around a couple of hours in the rain. There's only a trace amount of water inside the box. But the foam under the boot carpet was soaked on the passenger side . What the heck is going on? I noticed some sort of rubber or plastic plug on the boot floor. I'm wondering if watering is coming through there since the foam that's over it was soaked.

I checked the inside the tail light and it's bone dry. I also checked the headliner and again, bone dry. Urgh, don't tell me the leak is coming from the rear wiper again .

I have another oil change coming up next month. I'll have me dealer look at it again.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try spraying water around the hatch glass and in the gap around the hatch and the body. The glass is bonded in place on the hatch, some people have complained about water leaking around the glass from a separated bond. The same is true for the rear side glass, which is also bonded. The tail lights and the 3rd brake light are also potential points of entry, as is the rear weatherstrip and the wiring tube between the hatch and the body.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another possibility (happened to me) is the red plastic lens on the third brake light has come unglued. Took me three tries to figure that one out.

-skip-

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
healey67
4th Gear
I have also seen the clips that hold the rear chrome trim on leak, causing the same thing.
And If you remove the panel the covers the trunk latch, there are two vents under there to vent cabin pressure. It also leaks around the tops of those and water flows straight to the battery box.

Definitely get it fixed quicked befor you have to pay to install a new B+ Cable that runs entire length of your MINI. NOT CHEAP!!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
My area got a good soaking on Saturday. My car was outside in the rain for a good two hours. So today I checked the boot area for moisture.

Bone dry . When I posted the last time, my car was exposed to the rain for about the same time and I found moisture. But this time it's bone dry.

Last time I checked, I noticed moisture around a oval shaped plastic plug on the boot floor underneth the carpet. Maybe water was making it's way past the plug so I put a piece of duct tape over the plug. So today I checked and the boot area is bone dry.

Anyways, I have a appointment for a oil change on Friday. I'll have my dealer do another leak test.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
When I had this problem, it was the 3rd brake light. MoT replaced it for me and I haven't had any problems since.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Fit it with a grommet, tube, and plug. Suspend the tube at an angle and fasten it so it will clear the heat shield. Insert a removable plug into the bottom of the tube. Simply unplug the tube to drain when this happens again for some other reason.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
When I had this problem, it was the 3rd brake light. MoT replaced it for me and I haven't had any problems since.

Thanks for reminding me about the 3rd light. I'll mention it with the rear vent area on Friday.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did the dealer ever figure out what was leaking? I'm interested in hearing what they might have found...

I've noticed some wetness in my boot recently, which is a bit worrisome because the back glass AND the sunroof had been replaced at my nearest dealer prior to the warranty expiring in December.

So far I've only had a chance to check the 3rd brake light for leaks. It seems to be watertight...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
PGT
Banned
I watched water spray in from around the third brakelight on mine while taking it through the car wash. This is the issue...explains why I've noticed water in the battery box too (I now have a MINI branded organizer there which helps)

Old 06-01-2008, 01:04 AM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay, I JUST picked up a Replacement 04' MCS today and my friend who picked it out just for me had it detailed and her guys discovered that the Battery Box was wet.
I HAVE LESS than a Month of Factory Warranty left and this MUST be fixed before then....
I've read thru and will try the 3rd Brake Light 1st... I hope it is taken care of fast!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by YakiMini
Okay, I JUST picked up a Replacement 04' MCS today and my friend who picked it out just for me had it detailed and her guys discovered that the Battery Box was wet.
I HAVE LESS than a Month of Factory Warranty left and this MUST be fixed before then....
I've read thru and will try the 3rd Brake Light 1st... I hope it is taken care of fast!
As long as the problem exists before the expiration of the warranty, it should be covered until fixed...but take it to them before it goes out. Point being, it doesn't have to be fixed by the expiration, only noted by the dealer.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Thanks!
I have an appointment with Ann from Rassmusen Mini in Portland on Monday! From what everyone tells me she is good and will take care of me!
Tristan

Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
MAy have to reset power windows too

Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
I made a appointment with my dealer for later this week. It seems the box is dry so I put the boot floor back and closed the hatch. But I'm gonna ask my dealer to check under the battery for any signs of moisture or corrosion.

Oh, quick question. If you disconnect the battery, do you lose all your personal setting or just your clock and radio pre-sets?
Read in Manual that your power windows will have to be reset. The Manual had simple steps to do this....Must be for when opening the windows and roof with key fob.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
I just got a call from Debra at Rass. in Portland and was told that the Euro Taillights were allowing the water by. Hopefully that's it!
Tristan

Quick Reply: Flooded battery box