Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Glazed Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glazed Clutch

I have about 2000 miles on my MCS. A couple days ago I noticed that when I down shift from 3rd to 2nd, while applying the break and slowly releasing the clutch I get a horrible grinding noise.

I took her to the dealership today and a Tech took a ride with me. Thank the mini gods I was able to recreate the noise. The Tech said that they have seen this problem and that they need to de-glaze my clutch. He said that Mini claims this is driver induced.

I'm a hell of a good driver but I guess they expect me to pop the clutch at all times and not to "slowly release" it to slow the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 PM
korby
6th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=96638
Dont worry to much it's fairly common .

Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
flav
5th Gear
i have it too. noticed it at 9000 miles. i have been driving stick for 17 years.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Korby, thanks I'll check out the link.

Flav, thanks for the feedback and the reminder that I have been driving a stick for a LONG time... 23 years!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Out of curiosity - are you doing mostly city driving?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 AM
mubex
2nd Gear
Welcome to Cruch Club

I have this problem a lot of time in my MC. I visited dealer 3 times and crunchy issues come back again.. i learn to live with this sound

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by krut
Out of curiosity - are you doing mostly city driving?
I do it all... streets, freeways, twisty roads but no race tracks at the moment.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Robb's 07 Red MCS
2nd Gear
Chili Cart,

Don't know what your mechanic is talking about since there's no way to "de-glaze" a clutch plate. It will have to be replaced, and also insists they replace the throw-out & pilot bearings to include the pressure plate too.

Good luck...

Old 11-11-2007, 08:55 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they want you to pay for it, don't do it. Dealer's prices are way too much. If you want this kind of work done, go see Danny at Minicorsa.com (Van Nuys). Very good work very reasonable prices. He can put in a better clutch for less than the dealer would charge.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SteveS
If they want you to pay for it, don't do it. Dealer's prices are way too much. If you want this kind of work done, go see Danny at Minicorsa.com (Van Nuys). Very good work very reasonable prices. He can put in a better clutch for less than the dealer would charge.
The car is under warranty so the fix was free of charge.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robb's 07 Red MCS
Chili Cart,

Don't know what your mechanic is talking about since there's no way to "de-glaze" a clutch plate. It will have to be replaced, and also insists they replace the throw-out & pilot bearings to include the pressure plate too.

Good luck...
Yeah, I don't really know what the hell they did but for the moment the issue is resolved.

I'm actually looking for a good mechanic in the area. OctaneGuy gave me a referral and once I need work done that is not under warranty, I'll check him out.

Thanks for the info and the well wishes!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Kat1
1st Gear
clutch issues

I couldn't believe when you said that the dealer blamed you! I too had clutch grinding issues from first to second..happened once everyday. I took it in 2 times, the first soon after I bought it. Before the 2nd time, I wrote MiniUSA and soon received a letter back sent overnight. Since then they (corporate) have been on it! Anyway, after not being able to re-create the problem twice, the third time..get this...they tell me that the synchros between first and second are destroyed! I have 16oo miles on the car and they tried to tell me that it was my driving that caused this. Either way, they are replacing the transmission. I told the service advisor that it made me very uncomfortable that they were trying to blame me for a big fault in a brand new car. Have not picked it up yet.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kat1
I couldn't believe when you said that the dealer blamed you! I too had clutch grinding issues from first to second..happened once everyday. I took it in 2 times, the first soon after I bought it. Before the 2nd time, I wrote MiniUSA and soon received a letter back sent overnight. Since then they (corporate) have been on it! Anyway, after not being able to re-create the problem twice, the third time..get this...they tell me that the synchros between first and second are destroyed! I have 16oo miles on the car and they tried to tell me that it was my driving that caused this. Either way, they are replacing the transmission. I told the service advisor that it made me very uncomfortable that they were trying to blame me for a big fault in a brand new car. Have not picked it up yet.
Hey Kat1 how is the new transmission?

I'm happy to report that I haven't had any more down-shift groaning. I do activate the sport button all the time now.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Kat1
1st Gear
The transmission runs great! Picking it up was another story as the same guy (who blamed me for the grinding) had said he would be there until 7pm, but decided to take off early. Anyway, I met a mechanic and he was wonderful and made up for the bad experience

Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chili Cart
The Tech said that they have seen this problem and that they need to de-glaze my clutch. He said that Mini claims this is driver induced.
Good Lord.

Glad it worked out for you; they never could fix mine...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Guess what, the noise is back!! It is intermittent but bothersome none the less.

I think the noise would have come back sooner but I have been using the sport button full-time and I now avoid down shifting from 3rd to 2nd when coming to a stop... say at a light. Of course you can't do that when you are down shifting before a turn!!

Has anyone else heard anything about this problem since those first threads?

Last edited by Chili Cart; 06-08-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
23cavsfan
1st Gear
I have 1100 miles on my 08 MCS and I'm experiencing this 3-2 problem. I'm taking the car in for service at the dealership tomorrow. I also have a CEL on. I doubt that the CEL is related to the 3-2 clutch noise, but who knows. I'm already regretting trading in my problem free 06 GTI for this mess.
Originally Posted by Chili Cart
Guess what, the noise is back!! It is intermittent but bothersome none the less.

I think the noise would have come back sooner but I have been using the sport button full-time and I now avoid down shifting from 3rd to 2nd when coming to a stop... say at a light. Of course you can't do that when you are down shifting before a turn!!

Has anyone else heard anything about this problem since those first threads?