Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Accelerating After Throttle Lift-off

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM
danielo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accelerating After Throttle Lift-off

Yesterday, while doing a run. I noticed this.

WOT off the lights, 1st gear, 2nd, 3rd, then in 4th, i lifted off the gas, for a split second, the car still kept on accelerating. An eye opener no doubt.

What is the issue here??????? This is the 1st time it has happened.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
Is this an automatic transmission? If so, I believe that threads have addressed this issue on the forum.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM
stevecooper
3rd Gear
maybe the hot wire throttle is sticking .. just a suggestion .. Steve

Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
danielo
4th Gear
mine is the manual. What topic should i try to search for? ' Throttle Issues'?

Stevecooper,
What is the 'hot wire'? I'm asking on behalf of myself and my dealer....... i'm pretty sure they are not familiar with the car.

TIA

Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Split second, electric throttle,are we talking the computing time of the car here?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
danielo
4th Gear
i'm really new to this 'hot wire'..... the car is drive-by-wire.... its electrical... how can it be 'sticking'?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
junior1459
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danielo
i'm really new to this 'hot wire'..... the car is drive-by-wire.... its electrical... how can it be 'sticking'?
a script error?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Split second, electric throttle,are we talking the computing time of the car here?
Unless our cars are powered by ENIACs, I would imagine the computing time of the computer would be pretty negligible.

My bet is inertia from the flywheel keeping the motor going for a split second after getting off the throttle.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
danielo
4th Gear
Does your car have this 'problem'?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has an issue like this. It happed when coming to a stop. I take my foot off the gas and put it on the brake, before I apply allot of force the car surges forward. If you were no prepared for it you would hit the car in front of you. I told my MA about the issue, he gave me some BS about "the computer says there's nothing wrong" and "Its the nature of the beast". The funny part is I have heard those lines before with other issues. lol

Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
danielo
4th Gear
it has to be something that's causing it!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
Maybe it has to do with the "temporary extra boost at WOT" programming?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 PM
danielo
4th Gear
well, its only for selected cars..... not all of them have this problem.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:07 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ianparcher
My car has an issue like this. It happed when coming to a stop. I take my foot off the gas and put it on the brake, before I apply allot of force the car surges forward. If you were no prepared for it you would hit the car in front of you. I told my MA about the issue, he gave me some BS about "the computer says there's nothing wrong" and "Its the nature of the beast". The funny part is I have heard those lines before with other issues. lol
I reported a surging throttle and was told there was nothing wrong. In fact I was told the car has multiple safeguards to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:34 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
I reported a surging throttle and was told there was nothing wrong. In fact I was told the car has multiple safeguards to prevent this from happening.
It feels almost like the car is downshifting as its coming to a stop. This extra surge of forward torque might be what we are feeling?? any thoughts? I have also felt a delay sometimes when accelerating. It takes 1/4 throttle to get a response. Then when it does its a very harsh reaction. Its like the trans is not in the right gear, then it reacts. They tried to say it was turbo lag lol. I said I know what lag feels like!! The whole point of twin_scroll is to eliminate it.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
It feels almost like the car is downshifting as its coming to a stop. This extra surge of forward torque might be what we are feeling?? any thoughts? I have also felt a delay sometimes when accelerating. It takes 1/4 throttle to get a response. Then when it does its a very harsh reaction. Its like the trans is not in the right gear, then it reacts. They tried to say it was turbo lag lol. I said I know what lag feels like!! The whole point of twin_scroll is to eliminate it.
The auto trans does downshift pretty noticeable when coming to a stop, even more so when in sport mode. I'm not sure if it's 'the nature of the beast' or just my having to get used to a six speed when I've always driven four's.

The 1/4 throttle to get a response is a symptom of the trans being in the wrong gear, per se. Unless you're in sport mode the auto trans starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st, hence you needing to push the throttle in a good bit before it gets enough power to accelerate. Try driving around with sport mode activated. It's seriously like night and day with the auto trans, insane - instant strong acceleration upon even tapping the throttle (both from a stop and in traffic), tons of engine braking in all the right places, and almost instantaneous shifts (especially while in manual mode). Only compromise is you get a pretty significant hit on fuel economy.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
The auto trans does downshift pretty noticeable when coming to a stop, even more so when in sport mode. I'm not sure if it's 'the nature of the beast' or just my having to get used to a six speed when I've always driven four's.

The 1/4 throttle to get a response is a symptom of the trans being in the wrong gear, per se. Unless you're in sport mode the auto trans starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st, hence you needing to push the throttle in a good bit before it gets enough power to accelerate. Try driving around with sport mode activated. It's seriously like night and day with the auto trans, insane - instant strong acceleration upon even tapping the throttle (both from a stop and in traffic), tons of engine braking in all the right places, and almost instantaneous shifts (especially while in manual mode). Only compromise is you get a pretty significant hit on fuel economy.

Thanks for the input. I guess my MA doesn't have to much knowledge of how the Mini works. They would rather say there is no issue and send you on your way
v Thanks

Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
danielo
4th Gear
So at least now i know its just my car.

How can i get a solution to this problem?

It's like an accident waiting to happen.

I've has my Aprilia RSVR Factory which has a pull-push throttle jam opened 2 years back. Crashed and wrote it off. The Aprilia imported in my country refsed to accept any responsibility in their product.

Do not want a similar experience.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
I actually recognized this 'surging' for the first time today. Strangely enough, however, I only recognized it after braking pretty heavily as I came to a stop at a light after some pretty spirited driving. It almost seemed as if there was 'left over torque' from my having accelerated just a couple seconds before, and when I let go of the brakes the engine just seemed to want to take right off. All without my even hitting the gas.

One thing I recognized is that it only does this while in sport mode. In my MINI at least, it seems to be a result of the auto trans selecting first gear really late as you're coming to a stop. Like as I'm slowing it'll stay in second gear, and suddenly engage first at like 5mph. So I'm guessing it must be linked to this as a I never get the surge while in 'non-sport mode' since the trans doesn't make use of first.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 AM
korby
6th Gear
If it's "the nature of the beast " to go when you want to stop ,The Beast Sucks !

Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
The MINI just doesn't want to stop... it is just telling you to hurry up and GO!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Just a guess... that it has to do with pollution control, to avoid passing unburnt fuel out?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
danielo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
mmmm, those saveguards do not seem to be working......
thing is the Mini Dealer here told me it's one of the Mini's characteristics. OMG!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:59 AM
dreman
3rd Gear
I was sitting at a stop light, and was getting rather bored. Was in neutral, and I just tapped the gas pedal. RPM's jumped by one to two hundred... I let off the throttle, RPM's went down then sprung right back up. Sounds like a similar issue; I will probabily ask my dealer about this one too.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
Unless our cars are powered by ENIACs, I would imagine the computing time of the computer would be pretty negligible.

My bet is inertia from the flywheel keeping the motor going for a split second after getting off the throttle.
The inertia again... inertia doesn't add acceleration. The car could go at the speed it was traveling at but not faster by accelerating. I respect all opinions but I disagree with this one.

Quick Reply: Accelerating After Throttle Lift-off