Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange noise when first move my MINI every morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM
rustspot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's your clutch. my car had been fixed under warranty twice, one at 5000KM and just did another one at 55000 km. it's a known issue. also the valve gasket and rear main seal is leaking oil. both gonna be taken care of under warranty. my old 6 cylinder GTI had about 160000km on it's orignal clutch and never made a sound. and my old mechanic instructor had close to 300K km on his corrado and stock clutch ,it still ingauged flawlessly.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
arch-r
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dexskywalker
Dear all. I just wanted to share something strange when I first move my MCS 06 every morning. I heard a strange sound whenever I move the first 2 or 3 feet in 1st gear or reverse. Its like the sound when you move a wood chair! or something like that. At the beginning I thought that it was the brake pad but I'm realizing that the sound is coming from the clutch, i don't know. Anyway, after a few seconds the sound disappear and its only during the first gear or reverse. The dealer just check it but the sound is coming whenever the car is out of the garage or first move. Any idea of what could be the source?
We all experience that noise at one time or another. I decided it was how I was handling clutch and gas until I got everything "warmed' up a bit.
Practice makes perfect. Play around with it a bit and you will realize in the not too distant future....you don't hear it anymore.

Another noise you might get the very first thing....If you use the parking brake overnight (always a good idea) you might feel a slight "thump" as the brake releases itself from the disk when you begin to roll forward. NO BIG THANG!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM
jcwcheckmate06
Neutral
I'm concerned about my clutch, because I got it replaced 4 months ago becuase it was doing that "woooong" when I was first moving the car but it was doing that only after I was sitting in the traffic and the clutch and flywheel they were more under stress. After I got the flywheel and clutch replaced it was fine for like 2 months and now I'm again in the same situation, the car isn't anymore under warranty but the clutch and flywheel yes cause I got it replaced from the dealership. My question now is, if I get it replace again is gonna do this "woooong" again after a while? Should I keep it like that? Btw my Mini is a 2006 MCS checkmate with JCW kit and I have 55k miles. On the new clutch I put only 10k miles. ( I know I drive a lot LOL 10k miles in 4 months it's a lot )

Please help me!

Thanks to all!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some folks have had theirs replaced up to 4 times. Mine was replaced once and it is fixed.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by moreorless
Some folks have had theirs replaced up to 4 times. Mine was replaced once and it is fixed.
Hmmm... maybe we should put a poll to see who has it done the most b4 the Mini patented chirp went away.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM
funkmasterbrad
Neutral
My car just started making this sound 2 weeks out of warranty this week. Bleh.
40,000 kms.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
jcwcheckmate06
Neutral
uhm

ok but I'm still trying to understand if this noise could be a real big problem or I can just keep it like that. I mean I don't care if sometimes does that noise, I'm just worried that something like the clutch or the flywheel can brake down...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
I have the same thing. Maybe we should start a club and we could get sweet badges. I noticed that if my car sits for 2 days I get a little oil leak and a chirp when I first use the clutch. I initially thought the oil leak was just condensation because I recently had my AC fixed, but after giving the fluid a swipe with my finger and quick sniff I quickly concluded that it was oil.

jcwcheckmate06, I can't imagine oil leaking on your clutch would be a good thing. It may last for a while but will likley fail eventually. I would guess the sooner you fix it the better. Sometimes ignoring problems can lead to more problems. If your '06 is still under warranty it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
jcwcheckmate06
Neutral
Originally Posted by j-gregs
I have the same thing. Maybe we should start a club and we could get sweet badges. I noticed that if my car sits for 2 days I get a little oil leak and a chirp when I first use the clutch. I initially thought the oil leak was just condensation because I recently had my AC fixed, but after giving the fluid a swipe with my finger and quick sniff I quickly concluded that it was oil.

jcwcheckmate06, I can't imagine oil leaking on your clutch would be a good thing. It may last for a while but will likley fail eventually. I would guess the sooner you fix it the better. Sometimes ignoring problems can lead to more problems. If your '06 is still under warranty it shouldn't be a big deal.

The problem isn't a leak....idk what it is, my mini is in service now and they said they will take care of that even if it's out of warranty. the problem I always had was that the noise was never coming out when the car was @ the dearleship and now finally they heard it! I'll let u know when the will fix my car what it was

Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 PM
james803
Neutral
Just got my 1st Mini - 06 MCS with 55k miles. Had it for about 3 weeks & it started making the "noise". It sound from others that this is a known issue. Is there any chance that Mini will cover this out of warranty?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
ggcadc
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump, same noise, 05 R53, 35k-mi, doesnt seem like a huge deal, but reading this thread, theres no one confirming they've lived with the noise, just a buch of folks running to the dealer.

can someone chime in who has had the noise for a while?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
phantom309
Neutral
Originally Posted by ggcadc
bump, same noise, 05 R53, 35k-mi, doesnt seem like a huge deal, but reading this thread, theres no one confirming they've lived with the noise, just a buch of folks running to the dealer.

can someone chime in who has had the noise for a while?
First post here, but my '02 Coopers S has been making this noise under the same circumstances as everyone else for roughly the last 30,000 miles. It never gets worse. It sometimes goes away. There is no evidence of oil leaking with mine and the clutch still engages perfectly. That being said, if you have any other symptoms or feel uncomfortable with the noise, I fully recommend taking your car to a trusted mechanic.