Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Strange noise when first move my MINI every morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
dexskywalker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise when first move my MINI every morning

Dear all. I just wanted to share something strange when I first move my MCS 06 every morning. I heard a strange sound whenever I move the first 2 or 3 feet in 1st gear or reverse. Its like the sound when you move a wood chair! or something like that. At the beginning I thought that it was the brake pad but I'm realizing that the sound is coming from the clutch, i don't know. Anyway, after a few seconds the sound disappear and its only during the first gear or reverse. The dealer just check it but the sound is coming whenever the car is out of the garage or first move. Any idea of what could be the source?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the garage floor painted or otherwise exceedingly smooth? Don't laugh. I heard a similar noise and discovered it was the noise of my tires on the painted carport.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
MiniPirate
Neutral
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Is the garage floor painted or otherwise exceedingly smooth? Don't laugh. I heard a similar noise and discovered it was the noise of my tires on the painted carport.
Like parking in a parking garage with linoleum floors. Turn your wheels and SCReEEEeeeeee.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
It Works
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dexskywalker
Dear all. I just wanted to share something strange when I first move my MCS 06 every morning. I heard a strange sound whenever I move the first 2 or 3 feet in 1st gear or reverse. Its like the sound when you move a wood chair! or something like that. At the beginning I thought that it was the brake pad but I'm realizing that the sound is coming from the clutch, i don't know. Anyway, after a few seconds the sound disappear and its only during the first gear or reverse. The dealer just check it but the sound is coming whenever the car is out of the garage or first move. Any idea of what could be the source?
I've recently noticed the same thing on mine - same circumstances - but mine is more of a groan. I'm coming up on my 25,000 mile checkup so I thought I'd bring it to the dealers attention then. I'm thinking mine is steering related...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
flannery
1st Gear
There are many in the forum who have a similar sound. My 2004 MCS also had it. In my case it was an oil leak onto the clutch plate and flywheel. The dealer knew what it was right away, replaced both the clutch plate and flywheel and fixed the leak. No more squeek. Others have called it a bark or screech. However you describe the sound, the symptom is the same, sound is present when first starting out in the morning and goes away very quickly as the oil is scrubbed from the clutch plate. Mine was fixed under warranty over a month ago and has been gone ever since.

Mike

Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
totamdu
3rd Gear
where was the oil leaking from? Iv'e got this problem too. And if that is my problem ill fix it when I do my clutch.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 AM
ClintTheMiniOwner
4th Gear
Mine did it for two years and then one day it stopped. It is a clutch problem. Too expensive to fix for me and the dealership said that the warranty wouldn't have it fixed because it is an operator failure issue. The sound on my car happened at the same time yours did and at streetlights. The sound morphed into a small squeak or chirp and then eventually stopped. Maybe it will do the same for you?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
dexskywalker
1st Gear
Thanks to all, I'm not feeling alone here. I think that at the next maintenance schedule I'll leave the car there to be tested. (Because they say that the car has no problem if they didnt hear the noise!!)
Just one more thing, does this is life threatening or I just can live with it until next schedule?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
zmanrz
1st Gear
my car does the same noise, if i feather the clutch just right i can make the car make that noise everytime. but i will be doing a new clutch and flywheel soon anyhow.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
I have had it 3X and my wife's MINI has had it once. If you mean an UURRTT sound like a belt slipping than it is the clutch. We have a dual mass clutch that has bushings in it. When those bushing get a "glaze" on it, it "slips". I have had my local dealership replace the clutch and flywheel under warranty with no issues. Now, it will ALWAYS return and the only way to get rid of it is an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. I have about 400 miles left on my warranty and had them replace it just recently.

There is no safety problem or anything like that. So, if you can deal with it, then don't be worried.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
It's the clutch!!

Fellas,

I had the same noise problem with Maggie (06 R53), however, I thought it was, because my garage is in the basement, that I was feathering the clutch too much climbing up out of the garage in the mornings. After about 2-3 months of this, I started to notice more resistance through the clutch pedal and then a rubbing with friction sound from under the front left side of the engine. Amazingly enough, my Netherlands BMW company figured out that the clutch was failing and completely replaced it, under warranty!!

Therefore, having watched several of these threads since the summer, I heartily recommend to ya'll that you get with your dealers about replacing the clutch. Not to add insult to injury but I took Maggie to the Nurburgring (Nordschleife) today to finish "breaking in" this new clutch!!

Cheers!!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I have that noise only on cold mornings. I don't really think its going to cause any issues. It is probably just a cold clutch that has normal wear and tear on it. You can actually feel it through the gear shift a little. I am not concerned.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM
bthayer23
2nd Gear
I have the same noise on my 06 MCS, but not every morning. It's harsher and lower pitched than brake squeal, and it's only present when the weather's damp. Am I understanding the previous statements correctly when I say that it's only bad if it gets worse?

Glad that I'm not the only one... Dealership is 2h away, so leaving overnight is not really an option. Wisdom of the forums is much more convenient. =)

Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Giants9595
4th Gear
Add me to the list....I have the same noise since very early in my ownership of my 06 MCS. I have 20000 miles on it right now and am planning on having the dealer try to detect the noise again at 25000 mile checkup. As stated above it seems to happen in colder weather.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
very common issue with manual shift minis. goodluck getting your dealer to actually do someting about it. in most cases, once the car has warmed up and has been driven, the noise no longer sounds. so by the time you drive to the dealer, they treat you like the boy who cried wolf and say they cant fix it because they "can't replicate it".....jerks.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 AM
GregO
4th Gear
clutch noise

Our mini (2006 MCS) does the same thing - it started at 3,000 miles and is in the shop now. As the dealer was taking the car into the carwash, they heard the clutch noise/groan/squeal/OORT/grind we were complaining about. They said they may have to replace the clutch. I'm guessing that's what is happening now since I've not heard any news that its ready. We'll know sometime today. Greg

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Minnie Driver
1st Gear
This is the same problem that plagued my former '02 S. Dealer knew what it was(flywheel) and replaced once before my warranty expired. After warranty, I had it replaced by Mini 3 more times. The parts were warrantied for 2 years so it still didn't cost me a penny. It's still aggravating because of the continued visits to the dealer though for such a senseless recurring issue. i wondered why BMW would just replace the manufacturer of the flywheel???? Nope, just kept putting the same one back in. I was told however that this "defect" does not detrimentally affect the car, other than the noise simply being present.

Attached is my service sheet for perusal if interested...Anyone know what the out of pocket expense would be on this replacement?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File.PDF (643.4 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Minnie Driver; 01-09-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPirate
Like parking in a parking garage with linoleum floors. Turn your wheels and SCReEEEeeeeee.
that was my first thought reading the post

Originally Posted by flannery
There are many in the forum who have a similar sound. My 2004 MCS also had it. In my case it was an oil leak onto the clutch plate and flywheel. The dealer knew what it was right away, replaced both the clutch plate and flywheel and fixed the leak. No more squeek. Others have called it a bark or screech. However you describe the sound, the symptom is the same, sound is present when first starting out in the morning and goes away very quickly as the oil is scrubbed from the clutch plate. Mine was fixed under warranty over a month ago and has been gone ever since.

Mike

I had mine replaced just before warranty ended for the same issue, it was at about 48k miles

Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
got mine replaced under warranty at 46k and the noise disappeared.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Miniriffic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by It Works
I've recently noticed the same thing on mine - same circumstances - but mine is more of a groan. I'm coming up on my 25,000 mile checkup so I thought I'd bring it to the dealers attention then. I'm thinking mine is steering related...
Mine's been doing this for a while since I bought the car a year ago with 12,000 miles. Now at 35,600 miles and in the shop for a new clutch.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 AM
V73W
1st Gear
Chock up another car for the clutch chirp or squeal, however you wanna describe it. My 04 MCS has that noise but it seems to be more prominent on cold mornings.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dexskywalker
Sounds like a glazed dual mass flywheel, for I had the same problem. here's a test a tech taught me: take your car, park it with engine running and EB on, put it into first, give it a little gas, and slowly let the clutch out. if it makes the same sound it's a glazed flywheel. Although it does NOT affect drivability, it is a very common problem with R53s and R56s. If under warranty yr dealer should replace it and the clutch NQA (dual-mass flywheels cannot be turned).

If yr dealer balks--or tries to blame operator error, which is TOTAL BS, then complain LOUDLY to MINI-USA.

PS mine was NOT due to an oil leak, for it always happened in 1st gear when the clutch was under load, warm or cold. Dealer had no clue what caused the glazing. They just replaced both, no hassles no problems, and tacked on a 2 year p/l warranty that extends past my OEM warranty (extendeds do not cover clutches nor flywheels). I love my dealer.

Last edited by sequence; 04-25-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Rowan
5th Gear
I've been hearing the same sound on my 06 R50...it's like a swishy/fluttery sound.

Since all you guys in this thread seem to have R53s, any R50 owners care to chime in? or do I have the same problem as you guys?

Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 AM
watkinra
1st Gear
Clutch Squeal

If your car is still in the warranty period you need to take it to the dealer NOW!! The issue sounds just like mine and it turned out to be the rear main seal is leaking onto the clutch and it is covered under warranty. I have had two new ones installed for no charge...one under the warranty and one under the parts warranty. Both were done 15 months apart as the rear seal leeaked even after the first replacement.
I will say that the MINI dealers are very supportive of all warranty issues, especially at FLOW Motors in Winston Salem. The parts warranty is for aperiod of two years and unlimited mileage...no questions asked.
Good luck.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by V73W
Chock up another car for the clutch chirp or squeal, however you wanna describe it. My 04 MCS has that noise but it seems to be more prominent on cold mornings.
+1 or if it's not driven daily.

Quick Reply: Strange noise when first move my MINI every morning