Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Windshield wiper deflector

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wiper deflector

Just replaced my wiper blades for the first time, and forgot that the driver's side has a small wind deflector on it. Appears to be pinned on, perhaps not intended to be removed. I only took a few minutes to look at it, but has anyone removed it and put it on new wipers? Or do I have to go to MINI to get replacement wipers?

I've already driven down the interstate at (speed deleted) , let's just say slightly in excess of the posted 70mph, and didn't notice any wind noise, so maybe it's a non-issue.

Did not see any threads about this in previous posts, but surely I'm not the first one to ask???

Old 12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The idea is the deflector helps keep the wiper blade on the window. The OEM deflector is not designed to be removeable, so if you don't notice a degradation of wiper performance, don't worry about it.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:41 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Well that does make sense, it would help generate some downforce at highway speeds. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
FP
5th Gear
I think I broke mine while removing ice from the windshield. I am planning to replace the wipers anyway. Any advise to share on good replacements?

Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just installed Bosch Icons. I'm in Washington, and we got rain. Hoo, boy, do we got rain. They seem to be working very well indeed, but there is no replacement for the rear wiper. :(

Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skip.irving
Just installed Bosch Icons. I'm in Washington, and we got rain. Hoo, boy, do we got rain. They seem to be working very well indeed, but there is no replacement for the rear wiper. :(
I just got a set of Bosch Icons for my Crossfire. Do you have the part numbers I need for the Mini?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:02 AM
lawmann
Coordinator :: Middle Georgia MINIs
I usually just buy a set of blades from Advance Auto or AutoZone and remove the inserts and swap them out. The rear wiper I just cut down to size with my Dremel tool and replace the insert.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
naffets
3rd Gear
Darn...i just got some Icon's at checker and can't remember the numbers. Just go in and use the electronic pad.

I can't seem to find the p/n's online and i'm on bosch's web site as well as checker.

Best wipers i've ever used on my wife's car and mine.

The longer blade is on the passenger side which is normally on the drivers side. The parts guy commented on it.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by naffets
Darn...i just got some Icon's at checker and can't remember the numbers. Just go in and use the electronic pad.

I can't seem to find the p/n's online and i'm on bosch's web site as well as checker.
I know, I've tried as well, and even googled it, but can't seem to find it.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 AM
FP
5th Gear
Has anyone use the wipers TireRack sells? They seem to carry two different size sets.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FPM
Has anyone use the wipers TireRack sells? They seem to carry two different size sets.

Are you talkin' about the Valeo wipers? I purchased a pair for my dad's Honda CR-V. The passenger side on the CR-V is 19", the same has the MINI. So I slapped it on my car and about a inch did not touch the glass.

The Bosch Icons conforms to the curve of the windshield on the MINI better but not by much.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:20 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Funk_Flex
Are you talkin' about the Valeo wipers? I purchased a pair for my dad's Honda CR-V. The passenger side on the CR-V is 19", the same has the MINI. So I slapped it on my car and about a inch did not touch the glass.

The Bosch Icons conforms to the curve of the windshield on the MINI better but not by much.
I'm talking about the PIAA wipers TireRack sells. I'm about to give up on finding the part number for the Bosch Icons and was wondering if the PIAA are any good. They also sell the rear wiper.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:41 PM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FPM
I'm talking about the PIAA wipers TireRack sells. I'm about to give up on finding the part number for the Bosch Icons and was wondering if the PIAA are any good. They also sell the rear wiper.
I have those on the front and love them. Not as good as rubber wipers, but since they leave some silicone on the glass, it beads just as if I applied RainX. Plus they last a very long time (going on two years now and still perform like new). Just keep them clean and they work well.

Also, because they have metal frames, I slightly bent the end of the passenger side to give it better contact where the windshield curves. Still not perfect, but better then before.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
MRmidge
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of the valeo ultimate wiper blades, best set i've come across so far, it's one of those none traditional flat blades. Like was said before about one inch on the pass side doesn't hit at the bottom, it makes contact about mid way up. But, by far the best functional and best looking set of wipers i've had on the car so far.

Oh and i forgot to add the ultimates come with deflectors on them, which works like a champ I've never had chatter with these at any speed. And at a high enough highway speed you can eliminate the one inch gap at the bottom of the windshield.

Last edited by MRmidge; 12-21-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot stuff and such