Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dash Creaking from Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All i know is its the funnest car I've ever driven and definitely the best looking...ive grown attached to my car (enough that if enough damage happened to it and theyd rather just replace it id be fighting just to fix it not replace the entire car) yeah at first i was a little scared of the noise, but once i heard that its happening to every1 i now dont feel unsafe about it and it really doesnt bug me

Just think of it as if your sitting by a fire and can hear the crackling :D

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Farmer-Ted
Your optioned out $35K MINI has the same dash as a $18K base model. In my honest opinion and not trying to an a-hole, you should sell the car. You will never be hapy with it. It's not worth the agrivation your having.

I wish it was that easy!! I owe around 33k on the car. Now I was originally planning to keep this car around 5 years. I got the car because it was good on gas and fit what I needed. I like everything about the car except the rattles and throttle issues. All things I could have not know about when buying. All I wanted is for the dealer to fix the issues, but they deny that there is an issue and make it that much harder. Hey if anyone wants to take over the finance let me know….$600/month no money down.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP yr dealer is being a deeeck. I had some seriously LOUD dash crackling issues (top center) in my 05 MCS and my dealer (Schomp, Denver) bent over backwards to get it fixed RIGHT. Of course it helped that a service bulletin covering the problem had been issued and the noise got so LOUD the dealer had NO trouble replicating it. That was nearly 1.5 years and 16K miles ago, and altho it comes back on occasion (esp on bad roads and cold temps) it's nowhere as bad as it was.

But I can understand it being a deal breaker. No one wants a new car with such a loud rattle that it drowns out everything. Tip: take some gasket material, fold, and insert between the A-pillar and the dash; it helped on mine until I got it to the dealer.

Last edited by sequence; 01-07-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
dubsdj
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how to fix that issue

along the dash near the windsheild you will see a gap.. I put some of those rubber feet that you can get from purchasing new computers and so on. I stuck 3 of them together and wedged them along the gap where the windsheild meets the dash. I have them in groups of three all along the edge of the dash and now now more creaking.

Best part is that cos the feet are black it looks like they were always there.

The main 2 sets of 3 are each side of that round shaped plastic thing near the edge of the dash in the center.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
gaffer
3rd Gear
My '05 MC was at the dealer last week for oil service, the creaking dash fix, and a couple of other things. The dealer is 200+ miles away. I gave them the service bulletin number and they had the car for a day and a half; very nice dealership, got a loaner MC and all, but... The dash still creaks, I don't think I can't tell any difference in it, in fact, I think I hear something new!?!?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My Mini makes the creaking noise when I put the defroster on. Otherwise, it's quiet.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The creaking dash from the heater is much more noticeable on the second gen MINI than it is on the first gen MINI (I own both). Notice that this thread is in the second gen MINI section.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, if I'm understanding this correctly, this creak is connected to the heater ducts warming up which is very different (I think) from most of the creaks in the 1st generation MINI. If so, then this isn't a manufacturing flaw but more of a design issue as it seem to affect most (maybe all) 2nd gen cars....more in colder climates, less in milder. Mine is barely noticeable and nowhere near a problem. But...if a fix is desired, the dealer simply may not have one yet. If you bring it to their attention and inquire about it being a design issue, MINI may come up w/ a fix (this stuff happened on the 1st gen car all the time) and your MINI, documented in the system as a car needing a fix, can be in-line when one appears. This does happen, and they can/will update your car if possible. But, you have to 1) document the problem, and 2) continue to research/stay-in-touch on a possible fix. Takes some patience. In the meantime, a temporary fix may be found using foam as suggested above...it may even help them find a permanent repair. However, unless the dealer has a real repair kit from MINI they are not going to root around your car tearing up things in search of a solution that may or may not work. Perhaps a new section of ductwork, or a new seal is needed for a proper fix.

I personally have had great luck being part of the solution with MINI rather than part of the problem. They aren't magicians, but they (most anyway) do like satisfied customers, and if they can assure that with a true fix that really works I think they will.

Last edited by gokartride; 01-22-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Perhaps if instead of going in there to "raise hell", a different attitude would have made them a bit more receptive to you. Even on your second or third visit.

*hint* you can be firm but don't "raise hell" at a place you plan on returning to.

edit:

any other dealers close enough to try out? go in politely and let them know there are some rattles that drive you nuts. (but don't go nuts on them unless you have a third dealership nearby))

Last edited by MotorMouth; 01-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
I have been very cool with the dealer. I would say this is the problem Im having and please take a look. They would always say it part of owning the car or blame it on window tint lol. I understand its an issue with the defroster duct. All they have to do is say yes there is an issue and a fix hasn't come down yet. Instead they just say there is no problem and stop asking us to fix it. Hey, I was just telling them its still doing it after they said it was fixed. I'm just going to have to take it to a different who is going to take the time to look into the problem. The bad part is Mini dealers are far and few. I also think this dealer got irritated with me when I would not take there BS stores. I have been working/modifying cars most of my life. Before the Mini I have owned z32TT, Supra's and Sti's. I do my own engine and suspension work. I know when a dealer is feeding you a story to make you go away. The sad part is if I had the time I could fix most of these issues. But who wants to pull the interior out on there day off for a daily driver when the dealer should do it..not me

Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Minisizd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ianparcher
I think it comes down to this. The Mini I have is not a base model S its an option out 35k car. That is mid level luxury car area. IS250, C class, 3 series and so on. I would expect the car to be as quiet as possible in regards to rattles. Some rattle will happen...but some should be addressed. I would only ask them when I had the car in for other issues, never bring it in for just a rattle. Most of the time they would just ignore my request to look at the noise and never list it as an item. It would still be there when I got the car back so they never looked into the issue and there time was never wasted like the MSA said.
It doesn't matter if it is a $35K or $22K base model (with options) MC like I have. This rattling noise shouldn't be there. I have it on mine as well, only noticed it a few times. I'm actually surprised that a car which is designed and built in cold-weather climate has as much issues as it does once the mercury drops into the 30*s and below.

I do enjoy the car, but this too will be my last Mini. At least until I can afford one that will only be driven April-October, or I move to a warmer climate.