Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Passenger rear floor SOAKING WET

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 08 MCS with dual sunroofs and 2 weekends ago I was retro fitting the MINI with the OEM bluetooth kit, which requires removing the driver's seat and cut out a piece of the carpet under this seat for the new module. What's weird is the the carpet itself did not really feel wet, but when I lifted up the carpet to see what I was get ready to cut through, water start starter dripping off the huge white foam backing of the carpet on to the floor boards. So I squeezed and soaked up as much water as I could, then propped up the foam flooring and let a fan blow on it for 24 hours... was still a little damp when I put it all back together.

This past week, I pull the passenger seat to see if that side was wet, and sure enough, it was... I repeated my soak-fan process.

I have no idea where the water is coming. Where is the AC drainage line, so I can check it? I know the best thing to do is pull the entire carpet floor out and let it dry for a fews days in the hot sun... maybe this summer.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
conrad0102
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRy
Where is the AC drainage line, so I can check it? I know the best thing to do is pull the entire carpet floor out and let it dry for a fews days in the hot sun... maybe this summer.
Just got word from my mechanic. He said the drain to the coil is somewhere in the dash. He said he had to pull it all out to get to it then he put some locktite on the drain and sealed it all up to prevent further disconnection and leaks. I want to say the coil goes all the way to the shifter and that he could see it but couldn't reach it and that was why he had to take out the dash. So if you can find the A/C coil follow that. I have no idea what it looks like my guess would be some sort of tube. I wish I could help more but I am away at school and don't have time to be doing this myself.

On a good and unrelated note. My mechanic usually works on Audi's and Porsches doing turbos and engine swaps and the like and he gave me lots of compliments on my JCW! So that lessened the blow of the total cost of repair. Total cost to fix the leak, have the carpet and padding ripped out, cleaned and replaced was $1100 (try and beat that dealership). He tried to fix my stuck sun roof but he doesn't have time to work on it right now. Plus I'd like to do some research hear on NAM to get a better idea of what might be going on with it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
JMike
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I never followed up on my issue.

My dealer found my problem was with the sunroofs. The drain tube for them had come off or was loose. That's what caused the wet carpets in the rear. Somehow if that comes loose the water doesn't drain outside but comes into the floorboard area. Since they fixed it, I haven't had a single instance of wet carpets afterwards.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:27 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I am having the same problem with a soaking wet passenger front and rear floorboard. We just had a huge rainstorm in Stl yesterday and today my passenger noticed the wet floor mats and then we saw it was wet under the floor mat and in the backseat. It seems to only occur when/after I drive though. Probably going to go to the dealer monday or tuesday to see what it is but I have a strong feeling that it is also the sunroof drain tubes. Though i checked and there doesn't seem to be any standing water up there

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I went to an independent shop today and they verified that the passenger sunroof drain tube must be disconnected, so they are going to remove and replace the drain tube next week or so after they get the $5 part. They are saying they need 4 hours to replace the tube because they have to remove part of the headliner and the a pillar which I understand. Does this sounds like a reasonable estimate?? I have found stories of people replacing it themselves but I'd rather not tackle this.