Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Car won't start... it's not the battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
lowb35
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start... it's not the battery

Good morning, and happy holidays, all! I'm having problems starting my '03 MCS... I posted something on another thread but since I've ruled out the battery I'm hoping that this is worth posting to a new thread. On Monday, I went out to run some errands. The car started fine, and up until now I've had no starting issues, except maybe the occasional rough cold start. I got gas (93 octane from Sam's Club--no ethanol), drove about 7 miles to go to a store, was in the store for about 5 min., started up, came home. I tried to go back out 30 min. later and the car wouldn't start. All the electronics worked, I could hear the fuel pump prime, but the starter didn't engage. We tried to jump start the car and still nothing. This is the first time this has ever happened.

This morning we went out to get a new battery, b/c even though we weren't sure the battery was the primary issue (it tested good but I couldn't see the green LED unless I shone a flashlight into it), it was 4 years old and either way I needed a new one. We put the new battery in and still nothing. We then push started the car with no problem... my husband hand pushed it down from our carport and as soon as I released the clutch with it in reverse it started immediately and ran fine.

So... I guess I've ruled out the battery, major problems with the engine, fuel system, bad gas, and ignition? I've also had no noticable clutch problems after 55K miles. I also checked all the fuses and they're fine.

Does this sound like a clutch switch issue, starter, or could it be more serious?

After starting none of the warning lights light up. Is it possible for it to throw a code without causing the check engine or any other warning lights to come on? If so, I could take it to an auto parts place and have them check for any warning codes.

I tried calling the dealer and am still waiting on a call back... I was told it could be a while, so I doubt I'll be able to get an appt. anytime soon. My closest dealer is 70 mi. away.

Last edited by lowb35; 12-26-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
I wouldn't completely rule out ignition- but it sounds more like a starter or starter solenoid to me.

Any clicks from under the hood when you try to start it?

Edit: duh- you already said the starter doesn't engage. I'd say you were on the right track with clutch switch/starter.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 PM
lowb35
2nd Gear
No clicks. I rechecked that just to make sure. I thought I heard one the other day but I listened with the bonnet up and nothing. If it were the starter/solenoid, would I be getting a click? I've had other vehicles where the starter went bad and that's usually what happens. It's acting more like it does when you try starting it without engaging the clutch.

Is there any way to test the clutch switch to make sure? It sounds like that isn't difficult to replace (I've done minor repairs & installs on the car before) but I don't want to start replacing parts without knowing for sure what I need to replace.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
You should be able just to put a jumper in the clutch switch (bypassing it) to determine if that is the issue. (I'm not familiar with the MINI switch though)
Like you, I have always had the starter click when the solenoid went out. You can try hitting the starter with a hammer - that's the old school method for a short term fix.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:00 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
You should be able just to put a jumper in the clutch switch (bypassing it) to determine if that is the issue. (I'm not familiar with the MINI switch though)
Like you, I have always had the starter click when the solenoid went out. You can try hitting the starter with a hammer - that's the old school method for a short term fix.
Are the starters in a Mini using permanent magnets? I've been told that hitting a permanent magnet starter with a hammer is a no-no, that you can either break a magnet or knock one loose.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
lowb35
2nd Gear
Found it!!!! The clutch switch came out of the piston. I snapped it back into place and now it starts! Better yet, if it does indeed go bad, it looks super simple to replace.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice find. I was just about to post that it sounded like the switch, and saw you found it.
FWIW if you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens, a good place to start is the switch.
should be easy to jumper with a paper-clip (for those diagnosing)

Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I love happy endings!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by lowb35
Found it!!!! The clutch switch came out of the piston. I snapped it back into place and now it starts! Better yet, if it does indeed go bad, it looks super simple to replace.
Can we assume it's at the top of the clutch pedal?

Glad you're back on the road (sans push-start.)

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
Are the starters in a Mini using permanent magnets? I've been told that hitting a permanent magnet starter with a hammer is a no-no, that you can either break a magnet or knock one loose.
I'm sure they are permanent magnet starters, but the magnet retainers are not especially prone to handling damage. We (I'm an engineer for a starter & alternator manufacturer, though not the supplier on the MINI) generally see more handling damage to the plastic solenoid cap than any other part of the starter. In short, if you hit something with a hammer, there's always a chance you will do unintended damage.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Can we assume it's at the top of the clutch pedal?

Glad you're back on the road (sans push-start.)
Rather than start a new thread, I did a search based on my car's current problem - turn the key to start, all dash lights go on, but no start. However,
I do hear a click from the engine compartment. From what Ive read here it sounds like the starter or solenoid.

Is this a big job? Like, do a bunch of things have to be removed to get to these items? Are these items a pain to remove and replace? Will I need a shop manual? Does anyone know a good mechanic who works on MINIs on Long Island?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
boxer
2nd Gear
Replace the battery.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
rolfiesb
1st Gear
Where is the clutch switch located on a r53???
I can't get my 05 to start!!! Please help!! I have an automatic btw.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM
amster
Neutral
Originally Posted by lowb35
An old post, I know, but I just came across this. Sounds like exactly what I had last year.

After repairs the work log said: "Check found the clutch switch has not been secured in the correct position on the clutch. ... Resecured the clutch switch module with cable trap."

Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
rolfiesb
1st Gear
Where's the clutch/neutral switch located?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 AM
jnl
Neutral
well if no one else will say it

Originally Posted by rolfiesb
Where is the clutch switch located on a r53???
I can't get my 05 to start!!! Please help!! I have an automatic btw.
since it's been a couple of months I'll figure you've sorted it out, but since automatics don't have a clutch, I gonna say they don't have a clutch switch. They likely have a different switch to only start while in park. If this fails though, there is usually a small 'cap' near the base of the shifter that you pry off to expose a hole where you would stick the key in, and push, to disable this cut-off switch; then start the car.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
jnl
Neutral
right there

Originally Posted by rolfiesb
Where's the clutch/neutral switch located?
On my r50 it's attached to the side of the clutch master cylinder which is mounted above the clutch's foot pad. It's a little gray plastic thingy with a few wires running out.