Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Armrest Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Armrest Fix?

Anyone have a way to keep the OEM armrest from opening on its own? I'd like to keep the "storage" available, but on my terms, not its.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have the same problem....and yeah - it's frustrating - haven't found a good fix yet. Maybe a call to the dealer and they'll replace it if yours is under warranty? Our MINI is out of warranty so it's just going to have to stay the way it is.

Donna

Old 12-28-2007, 06:24 PM
shokk
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be the most annoying thing ever. Maybe it's not a problem in an automatic, but with a manual shift car it's positively maddening. I'm seriously about to pour rubber cement in there or tie rubber bands all around it.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:28 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I had the same problem and hated it. My solution was to remove that armrest and replace it with the Euro armrest, which actually works!

Old 12-28-2007, 06:36 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
How much, and how hard to install?

I sure hate to take out a $200 option, but I have a few small things I really need to store, so I can't glue the one I have, as has been suggested elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
It's about $200 and installs with the two inside, rear bolts that hold your seats in. Very simple. But if you already have the OEM armrest you also have to buy the basic center console piece (about $30) and that's pretty easy to install too.

I sold my OEM armrest and replaced it with the Euro. It remains as one of the best mods I've done. Perfect form and function.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:10 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
After seeing MINI_Bee's setup at the fall Dragon run, and seeing how superior it is to my OEM POS armrest, I've been envying his for two months. Minutes ago I ordered all the parts to convert mine over. It'll be worth it - it's one of the few peeves I have with my car after 14 months and 26K miles... and I'm gonna kill it.

Thanks Jack for the great idea.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:00 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Thanks Jack for the great idea.
My pleasure Paul. After all the ideas and help I've had from you (and many others) I figure it's my turn to help spread the wealth. That's what I love about the MINI community. People helping people. Ya gotta love it.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
mikenaron
2nd Gear
I like that armrest.. Does anyone know where I can order that? And does it fit on a 2007 MCS Convertible?

-Mike

Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Minspeed has it for $190.

http://www.minspeed.net/MAR.htm

Outmotoring has it for $199.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...h_storage.html

And yes, it will fit in the 2007 cabrio.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
shokk
7th Gear
I have the bluetooth option and there is a bluetooth adapter in there that I am not using as my phone already has it built in. Will removing the armrest cause any issues with bluetooth? Or more importantly, will Mini tell me the car is no longer under warrranty for one little mod?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Don't see how MINI could void warranty for removing a factory part and replacing it with a factory part. The Euro armrest is not officially made for the U.S. market but it's still a MINI part. And to install it all you do is use two existing bolts (seat bolts). Not much risk there.

Originally Posted by shokk
I have the bluetooth option and there is a bluetooth adapter in there that I am not using as my phone already has it built in. Will removing the armrest cause any issues with bluetooth? Or more importantly, will Mini tell me the car is no longer under warrranty for one little mod?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I think I'm going to lean on MINI first. Probably will get the "I've never heard of this problem" line of BS I usually get out of my SA, but I'll let you guys know.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shokk
There is no bluetooth adapter in the armrest. What is the armrest is wiring for a phone cradle that would charge the phone and connect it to the roof mounted antenna. You have to buy the cradle separately. Very few are available, most current phones don't have ones.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 AM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the aftermarket armrest the same resting height for your arm or is it a bit higher? The OEM is a bit low for my arm.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 AM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spfdhed
Is the aftermarket armrest the same resting height for your arm or is it a bit higher? The OEM is a bit low for my arm.
Just to be clear, the Euro armrest is not an aftermarket part. It's an official MINI part made for European markets.

It is higher than the U.S. OEM armrest, which is another advantage. It looks great, has a larger storage compartment, stays closed, flips out of the way, can actually be used as an armrest and allows you to actually use the rear cupholder.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who is lusting to gain an armrest in my '03 MCS... could you provide some pics of the problems with the stock armrest? From what I've seen I like the "looks" of the stock one better (I hate to admit that as an engineer I know I have no sense of style...).

Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 AM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I don't know that it's possible to show it in pictures. For me it was this:

1) Too low for using as an actual armrest
2) Storage compartment so small that is is practically unusable
3) Compartment lid slides open on its own when driving
4) Rear cupholder rendered useless for anything other than a can of soda.

I liked the way the stock armrest looked too. It was the functionality that made me switch to the Euro.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 AM
runningerin
2nd Gear
Do you know if it will work in a 1st Generation Cabrio? I gotta have it!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:12 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep - works in the 1st gen cabrio - that's what Mini_Bee has...

I think the height thing is a bit subjective - depends on how high you sit in the seat, how long your upper arm is, etc. In my case, I have a BUNCH of extra padding on my tush, so it's like I'm always sitting on a phone book.
So that jacks me up high enough that the original armrest is too low to be useful. And I don't have unusually long upper arms to compensate. Mini_Bee and I might be in the same club in this regard.

You skinny guys/gals with little butts and long arms might do just fine using the regular one as an armrest...

kgardnez - if you want the "stock" one - I'll have a full setup to sell in a few weeks...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM
runningerin
2nd Gear
You mentioned that if you had the original armrest, you also needed the basic center console piece for $30. Can that also be ordered from outmotoring.com ? The dealer says they can't get the Euro armrest or install it anymore... I guess I'll get to do it myself! Thanks for this great info!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:57 PM
notmestl
2nd Gear
My fix

Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Anyone have a way to keep the OEM armrest from opening on its own? I'd like to keep the "storage" available, but on my terms, not its.
Here is my Fix, it works for me the arm rest NEVER opens on its own unless I open it. It is a little tricky, but once you get a feel for it - it works. Quoted from this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=109466

I had the same frustration with the armrest and after messing with it for about a week, sliding open, sliding shut..etc.... ARG!
I finally figured out the trick!
When you open the top the back end of it actually slips off of the track.
You can actually feel the back end of the top of the armrest when "closed" and feel how it is not quite "snapped" shut.

In order for the armrest to stay closed do the following:
Open the top, grasp the back of the top and slide it shut so that it grabs the track properly. You have to actually lead the back end of the top into place on the track.
Once it is seated properly it NEVER slips open again. Until you manually open it that is, and then once again you need to follow the same procedure.

Seeing as I never open it, I never have to worry about this once I have it closed properly!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by runningerin
You mentioned that if you had the original armrest, you also needed the basic center console piece for $30. Can that also be ordered from outmotoring.com ? The dealer says they can't get the Euro armrest or install it anymore... I guess I'll get to do it myself! Thanks for this great info!

If you currently have the OEM sliding armrest, you need the parts below to do the Euro armrest install. If you have the standard center console with NO armrest, all you need is the Euro armrest, a torx socket and about 1/2 hour of time.

The Euro armrest is available at Minspeed. I know he has them because I was in his store a few weeks agon and saw them there.

http://minspeed.net/MAR.htm

Parts:

CENTER CONSOLE
Part #51-16-7-130-767 (in panther black)
(If you need a different color console the part number will be different)

TRIM RING, PARKING BRAKE CONS. CHROME
Part #51-16-7-127-912
(If you need a different color trim ring the part number will be different)

BRACKET, HANDBRAKE CONSOLE
Part # 51-16-7-131-830

CLICK HERE FOR PART DIAGRAM

Keep in mind the parts I'm showing are for an R52. These parts may vary for R50 and R53. Use RealOEM.com to search the parts for your MINI.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
shokk
7th Gear
Originally Posted by notmestl
I had the same frustration with the armrest and after messing with it for about a week, sliding open, sliding shut..etc.... ARG!
I finally figured out the trick!
When you open the top the back end of it actually slips off of the track.
You can actually feel the back end of the top of the armrest when "closed" and feel how it is not quite "snapped" shut.
Mine is definitely not that nice. Mine is always on the track, but that gives me an idea that maybe the plastic piece that goes into the V-shaped clip could use a little thickening. A few little strips of electrical tape on the black plastic pin piece should tighten that up a bit. I'll let you know how that goes.

Quick Reply: Armrest Fix?