Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch or flywheel noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbqbyrds
I too get the chatter when in nuetral (05 MCS, 25000miles) and am out of warranty in June. I have no other noises though when clutching, no squeels, nothing. Chatter stops as soon as I clutch. How concerned should I be?
Get it in and argue for a warrenty replacement. Now. In fact, find all the niggling little things you can and get them fixed under warrenty, too. Once the warrenty's up you're stuck with it. Since warrenties are built into the cost of a car, you might as well get your money's worth.
-skip-

Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM
godalex
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coopselt
Funny, I just had this EXACT same setup put in my car. The fidanza flywheel and Spec clutch. I also have this chatty thing. Idling at a stop, clutch depressed, nothing. With it in neutral, letting the clutch out it sounds like somethings coming loose and rattling around. Depress the clutch again and all is quite once again. Is this what I have to look forward to??

C5 Corvette owners have dealt with this for years on the 6 speed cars... comes as a price of performance I suppose. It is affectionately referred to as "the marbles in a can sound". If you think it is annoying on a $20-30K priced car imagine the joy of having such a rattle on your $50-60K car!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
GregO
4th Gear
chewbacca

Regrettably, wifey's 2006 MCS clutch is starting this squeal again - it was replaced at 12,000 miles and went squeal-free for ~ 4,000 miles (originally began showing up around 3,000 miles on the odometer). My 2008 MC clutch is showing signs of the same issue at 1,000 miles. Great, now this in addition to the other odd noises. BMW engineering at its finest = 2 X POS.

If they get to be annoying on a near-daily basis, I'll have them addressed. Until then, I don't want the dealer ripping into basically new vehicles anymore...
Greg

Originally Posted by godalex
C5 Corvette owners have dealt with this for years on the 6 speed cars... comes as a price of performance I suppose. It is affectionately referred to as "the marbles in a can sound". If you think it is annoying on a $20-30K priced car imagine the joy of having such a rattle on your $50-60K car!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbqbyrds
I too get the chatter when in nuetral (05 MCS, 25000miles) and am out of warranty in June. I have no other noises though when clutching, no squeels, nothing. Chatter stops as soon as I clutch. How concerned should I be?
Sounds like the DM flywheel's become contaminated or glazed to the point that it is not fully "in-round." DM flywheels are a HUGE documented problem with S's of both gens so Id take it in and have it (and the clutch) replaced, and dont let the dealer bully U into thinking it's yr fault. If they do, raise hella with MINI USA.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
GregO
4th Gear
flywheel

There has to be any easy long-term fix for this, yes? Different flywheel or affected parts? This seems ridiculous. I haven't experienced this with any other manual transmission car I've driven. Greg

Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
jollyroger927
3rd Gear
I just brought mine to be fixed. Seemed fine for about 2 days...I can still hear the noise at idle. They replaced the flywheel and clutch. + 1 to Greg's post. Id love to know if there is some way to fix this. Even if its upgrading a part.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 AM
pepegrande008
3rd Gear
hey im pretty tired of the noise. and when the ac is on, it sounds like my car is going to rattle to pieces. im considering taking off the poly motor mounts b/c they make it worse. its wierd that minimania would sell this clutch/flywheel setup as a set if they knew the sounds it makes.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
Just had my factory clutch and all associated parts replaced, under warranty at 33K miles, by Hendrick MINI here in Charlotte, NC, for this noise issue. They are the best!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here you go guys... i like coors light btw

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]SI [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]M21 04 08
Clutch
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]September 2008
Technical Service
[/SIZE][/FONT]

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M21 04 08 dated August 2008.

designates changes to this revision

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SUBJECT[/SIZE][/FONT]
Howling Noise from Transmission while Engaging Clutch

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]MODEL[/SIZE][/FONT]
R52, R53 with W11 ( Cooper S, Cooper S Convertible) with GS6-85BG manual transmission

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SITUATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
A loud howling can be heard from the front of the car when engaging the clutch and pulling away from a stationary position. The noise is more pronounced when the vehicle is cold, but weather and driving conditions do not have an influence.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]CAUSE[/SIZE][/FONT]
Clutch release system

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]PROCEDURE[/SIZE][/FONT]
On a customer complaint basis, replace the dual mass flywheel, friction disc, pressure plate, release bearing and guide tube. In addition, the engine to transmission alignment dowels must be replaced. Refer to RA 21 21 500, Removing and installing/replacing clutch.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2] PARTS INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Vehicles produced up to 7/2004

21 20 7 548 804
Dual Mass Flywheel
21 20 7 551 383
Clutch Kit
23 11 7 551 719
Guide Tube
07 10 1 485 190
Dowel
Vehicles produced from 7/2004

Part Number
Description
Quantity
21 20 7 548 804
Dual Mass Flywheel
21 20 7 551 384
Clutch
23 11 7 551 719
Guide Tube
07 10 1 485 190
Dowel
[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]WARRANTY INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Covered under the terms of the MINI New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:32 PM
TheGermanJob
1st Gear
This is just a serice bulletin, right?

I guess there's no hope for a free fix for a 2003 (build date 11/02) R53?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joey1320
here you go guys... i like coors light btw

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]SI [FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]M21 04 08[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]Clutch[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=3]September 2008[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva]Technical Service[/SIZE][/FONT]

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M21 04 08 dated August 2008.

designates changes to this revision

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SUBJECT[/SIZE][/FONT]
Howling Noise from Transmission while Engaging Clutch

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]MODEL[/SIZE][/FONT]
R52, R53 with W11 ( Cooper S, Cooper S Convertible) with GS6-85BG manual transmission

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]SITUATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
A loud howling can be heard from the front of the car when engaging the clutch and pulling away from a stationary position. The noise is more pronounced when the vehicle is cold, but weather and driving conditions do not have an influence.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]CAUSE[/SIZE][/FONT]
Clutch release system

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]PROCEDURE[/SIZE][/FONT]
On a customer complaint basis, replace the dual mass flywheel, friction disc, pressure plate, release bearing and guide tube. In addition, the engine to transmission alignment dowels must be replaced. Refer to RA 21 21 500, Removing and installing/replacing clutch.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2] PARTS INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Vehicles produced up to 7/2004

21 20 7 548 804
Dual Mass Flywheel
21 20 7 551 383
Clutch Kit
23 11 7 551 719
Guide Tube
07 10 1 485 190
Dowel
Vehicles produced from 7/2004

Part Number
Description
Quantity
21 20 7 548 804
Dual Mass Flywheel
21 20 7 551 384
Clutch
23 11 7 551 719
Guide Tube
07 10 1 485 190
Dowel
[FONT=arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=2]WARRANTY INFORMATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
Covered under the terms of the MINI New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
I have seen this bulletin and am skeptical at best. I have been replacing clutch kits and flywheels for a couple of years for the same complaint and have had at least two come back for the same issue. The part numbers that differ from the ETK is the 804 flywheel and replacing the dowel pins(which is in my belief due to some becoming missing over the years from previous repairs and replacements), not because there is something different about them.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The original clutch & DM flywheel rattled a lot, when I replaced them with newer parts, the old guide tube had a rough finish and the clutch release bearing inner bore was metal only, the new guide tube was polished and the clutch release bearing had nylon like inner sleeve lining, probably a self lubricating composite. I’m sure now I could have fixed the old combo’s rattle with the newer guide tube, nylon lined clutch release bearing, and clutch release shaft bushings (the originals were sloppy too). What I have now is an embarrassing howl using the parts with numbers mentioned above except replacement dowels. The fortunate thing for me the howl is only random, and clutch performance is not affected, I would readily trade the current howl for the old rattle.

Last edited by k-huevo; 10-12-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by k-huevo
The original clutch & DM flywheel rattled a lot, when I replaced them with newer parts, the old guide tube had a rough finish and the clutch release bearing inner bore was metal only, the new guide tube was polished and the clutch release bearing had nylon like inner sleeve lining, probably a self lubricating composite. I’m sure now I could have fixed the old combo’s rattle with the newer guide tube, nylon lined clutch release bearing, and clutch release shaft bushings (the originals were sloppy too). What I have now is an embarrassing howl using the parts with numbers mentioned above except replacement dowels. The fortunate thing for me the howl is only random, and clutch performance is not affected, I would readily trade the current howl for the old rattle.

Kevin, your sure that your flywheel number was an 804? If so, then this is what I'm saying...if the flywheel doesn't make the difference, I know the dowel pins won't.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the 804 flywheel.

I agree, there seems to be no guarantee it will make a difference.

Last edited by k-huevo; 10-12-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
steve216
2nd Gear
I just got this problem now too, exactly like you say it, releasing the clutch in first gear and I get that squeal noise. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.

Also when should I go for a oil change I'm reaching 3000 miles this would be my first since I got the car

Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by steve216
I just got this problem now too, exactly like you say it, releasing the clutch in first gear and I get that squeal noise. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.

Also when should I go for a oil change I'm reaching 3000 miles this would be my first since I got the car

Make sure you bring a copy of the bulletin listed in this thread...It's so new that they may not know about it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
HoustonCoog
1st Gear
Is this noise strictly a nuisance or does it eventually lead to a bigger problem? I got the noise but it happens very rarely, so if it isn't going to lead to bigger problems I am inclined to just leave things as is as my MCS is not under warranty anymore.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 PM
GregO
4th Gear
clutch noise

Originally Posted by HoustonCoog
Is this noise strictly a nuisance or does it eventually lead to a bigger problem? I got the noise but it happens very rarely, so if it isn't going to lead to bigger problems I am inclined to just leave things as is as my MCS is not under warranty anymore.
From what I've heard, it doesn't cause any real longterm damage. When our '06MCS was taken apart and replaced at 12,000 miles, MINI reported there was no uneven wear or anything bad. Now, 2 years later and 29,000 miles on the vehicle, we are beginning to get the "helicopter" noise again with the gearbox in neutral. The car still drives fine although I'm feeling like 2nd and 5th gears are a little "crunchier" than I remember or than I'd like (I say 'than I remember' because my wife primarily drives it). Regardless, I'm not a big fan of the Getrag box at all after experiencing three of them (two on our '06 and one on our '08).
Greg

Old 12-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I take it the sound is purely nuisance and has no effect on the functionality of the clutch and transmission?

Reading posts #37 and forward, the remedy from MINI seems to be a "non-fix" fix???

I'm beginning to think my Mexican built VW is better put together than my more expensive Mini.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
HoustonCoog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
From what I've heard, it doesn't cause any real longterm damage. When our '06MCS was taken apart and replaced at 12,000 miles, MINI reported there was no uneven wear or anything bad. Now, 2 years later and 29,000 miles on the vehicle, we are beginning to get the "helicopter" noise again with the gearbox in neutral. The car still drives fine although I'm feeling like 2nd and 5th gears are a little "crunchier" than I remember or than I'd like (I say 'than I remember' because my wife primarily drives it). Regardless, I'm not a big fan of the Getrag box at all after experiencing three of them (two on our '06 and one on our '08).
Greg
Well for now I am going to stick with the noise then; sounds like I could spend a bunch of money and it still not necessarily fix the problem. I guess if it ever becomes frequent enough to where I can't stand it I will go in for a new clutch and flywheel. At that point I might just go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Sembei
Neutral
I've the "clutch howl" issue in our (23k mile) 2006 S. Howls for a when cold they goes away. I took it to a recommended clutch / tranny fellow in Tacoma and they did an evalu on it. Tech who drove it said it felt / sounded like pilot bushing issue. They did some research and came up with the service bulletin quote within thread. They provided a quote but suggested (to their credit) I take it to Mini since from their (professional) opinion this appeared to be a design issue and I should request it be repaired even though it is out of warranty as of October (2 months past). To expand on what they told me this the noise is coming from pilot bushing. Fairly typical of what happens when drive train becomes misaligned. I just had a motor mount replaced last week and then the noise starts up. My (this is not from transmission/clutch folks) uneducated take is that when they replaced motor mount it brought everything back in alignment which meant (due to root cause driving bulletin) there was now misalignment on the pilot bushing therefore the new howl. The tranmission guys said the howl is probably caused by lack of lubricant / misalignment when cold. Once the system warms up the lubricant (or what is left of it) is then circulated and the howl goes away. Sooner or later the problem will become constant and the fellows said the howl become horrific. I took their advice and have requested warranty from Mini in Fife Washington to see what their response is:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I ordered /purchased a 2006 Mini Cooper S from your dealership.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]It went out of warranty in October of this year.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]The car has only been driven for 23 thousand miles. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]It is now experiencing the issue detailed in the service bulletin SI M21 04 08[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]The bulletin states the various drive train items should be replaced upon customer complaint. At the end is states this repair would be covered under the warranty. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]To be frank I am a bit disconcerted that Mini would handle this on a “complaint only” basis since this appears to be a design / alignment flaw issue – typically you don’t replace flywheels and dowel alignment pins for a worn out clutch. If Mini is truly a customer orientated company one would think they would have addressed this in a more open and transparent fashion. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]I am requesting that based on the vehicle’s low mileage, recent warranty expiration date, and contents of this service bulletin, that my vehicle be repaired at no charge. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Your prompt response and assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Their response will drive my future business with them. This whole scenario sounds a little bit like Toyota's "dodging the recall" antics. If there was an issue with the clutch / alignment it should have been addressed up front to all owners not just the ones who had the issue in time to get in under the warranty clock. My wife and I have been looking at the all wheel drive Countryman for our next vehicle but if they are going to play silly games then we'll go buy a Rav. I don't mind paying top dollar for service and OEM parts but if i feel like a manufacturer is being underhanded that it for me. BTW the quote the transmission place gave me was for the new updated parts. About $2,300.00 (including tax) for everything on the bulletin. I asked about going to something more durable and he said unless we are into high performance driving / racing then he would not recommend it. Due to the design of flywheels, clutches, etc the noise (as mentioned in previous threads) is not very enjoyable for the around the town type folks. I'll say upfront when I bought the car I expected quality issues and high price of ownership. However I've been driving clutches for years and 23k miles and this kind of price tag when we have really babied this car is a bit much. I just dropped $700.00 bucks last week for motor mount and power steering fan due to "age" of car and I swallowed that with a minimal of griping but this latest (as is evident by my manifesto) has got my goat. Will advise how things turn out. Happy motoring all. [/FONT]